Supra Forums banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
286 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just curious if anyone has done this....I kind of miss the open wastegate sound of my Greddy T78 kit...
SH
SP60

M

·
0 Posts
I will have my SP turbo kit set-up to use the Racegate and then have the open wastegate. this will be done in 2 weeks.

H.

·
T-64 powered
166 Posts
Re: Re: RPS kit with open WG vented to atmosphere...anyone?

Andi said:

Qualen has this setup....... (my fault ;) ).

Andi
Yep, but I also have boost creep problems some associate with the curvature of the racegate's dump pipe.
Interesting to see if anyone else has this problem before I go hacking at my header installing a HKS GT wastegate.

·
Registered
286 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Re: Re: Re: RPS kit with open WG vented to atmosphere...anyone?

qualen said:

Yep, but I also have boost creep problems some associate with the curvature of the racegate's dump pipe.
Interesting to see if anyone else has this problem before I go hacking at my header installing a HKS GT wastegate.

Do you have the RPS header or SP, etc?? On the RPS header the WG is pretty much flush mounted to the collecter sitting horizontily or sideways.

All you need to do is turn the WG around where the outlet is facing down and patch the RPS downpipe, seems fairly easy to do...and I dont see why there would be in any issues of boost creep.

SH
SP60

·
1,522 Posts
I always thought that it was better to have the closed wastgate because it keeps exhaust gases out and engine bay temps lower. One of my friend is in the process of getting a pipe welded from the wastegate back into his downpipe to close it up on his T-78, because he doesn't like the sound.
I guess the whole purpose that greddy left it open was for the sound? I have the rps kit and it's quite so you can hear the turbo sounds. I've never heard a greddy kit before. I guess some people like it and some don't.

·
Registered
2,687 Posts
Re: Re: Re: RPS kit with open WG vented to atmosphere...anyone?

I had an old RPS kit installed on my car before I got it and assumed it also had a Racegate like the site said but when I uninstalled it recently, it was a Deltagate Mark II. Now I know why I had boost problems with the wastegate.

If you want to upgrade your wastegate without doing a hack job, look into the Progate at Innovative turbo. That's why I'm swapping to.

qualen said:

·
Registered
200 Posts
I got the RPS header with my SP63 kit which had the wastegate running into the exhaust. I then had it changed for the sound.
Qualen, what kind of boost creep are you experiencing? When I had my old set-up, .70 A/R, profec-B and had no boost crep. Now I went with a .81 A/R and a HKS EZ and I get 30 psi steady through 4th gear, then in 5th that clicms to around 35?? My gauge only goes to 30 so I'm guessing. Realized it by accident as I felt the car go up in power, glanced at the gauge for a split second and noticed. Happens every time and everything is hooked up correctly with no problems. I'm thinking maybe it's my wastegate also. Let me know what you're experiencing.

·
Premium Member
6,923 Posts
I have the new RPS kit with the Progate by Innovative and it holds 30 psi in every gear, on and off the gas... (i've had it to 8500 rpm in fifth gear).
Peter

·
GA Rocks!
1,094 Posts
I have the innovative progate with 11-12 psi spring and phr street kit. I get .2 kg/cm2 boost creep by redline. i set my ez to 1 kg/cm2 and by redline she is at 1.1-1.2 on a cold day. Jarrett installed the kit and boost controller so I doubt it is installed wrong. I used to be horrible. I used to be able to hit 1.5 kg/cm2 with the controller turned off. It turned out to be boost creep because lack of proper valve lift to completely open the wastegate. I called Innovative Turbo and I ordered a softer spring but didn't like how 8 psi felt so I went back to the stiff spring and measured the amount of pressure it took to properly open. having the spring down all the way, the piston opens but not fully therefore causing creep. I backed the spring down all the way and no i don't have that problem anymore.

·
Premium Member
6,923 Posts
I love my setup, fully adjustable from 7 psi to 35+, never any boost creep in any gear, or at any boost pressure.
Peter

·
Registered
286 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Peter,
you don't have a open wastegate do you? I didn't think you did.

Oh and whats different about the "NEW" rps kit besides the wastegate...is the header different?

The Progate should bolt up fine to the RPS downpipe right? Looks like a nice piece.

SH
SP60

·
Premium Member
6,923 Posts
Scott, first of all, you and i have beef b/c you didn't show up for TX2K2, the biggest/best supra meet ever!!!!!! BASTAGE!!! :)
OK, back to the car, the rps header is the same as before. The only thing different with the new kit is the WG (which i'm VERY impressed by, the thing has a range of 7 psi to 35+ psi and holds the same boost in every gear, no spikes), HKS racing BOV, and innovative makes the turbo's now. My WG vents back to the DP and i really like the sound of the RPS kit with the HKS Ti exhaust. You could do what you are saying though, patch the DP, flip the WG, and have someone make a custom pipe to go straight down from the WG. However, i think it would be a PITA to have that pipe made b/c it would have to have some bends and such to miss any parts of the body/car (the opening that is).
Hope that helps
Peter <----your boy from h-town

·
Registered
286 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Yeah I know, biatch! My brother's POS supra wasn't ready by that time because of late parts...parts which we still have not recieved! Looked fun though. I like the sound of the kit too....I definitely hear the turbo more with this kit compared to the Greddy kit....maybe b/c of the smaller turbo. My one complaint with the RPS kit, is the position of the turbo...kind of a tight fit for intake pipes.

SH<-------Former H-town BALLER!;)
SP60

·
Premium Member
6,923 Posts
Yea, the fit of the piping is a bit tough to get right. What adapter do you have (turbo to intake pipe) and how does it look? Any pics?
Peter

·
T-64 powered
166 Posts
SingledSupra said:
I got the RPS header with my SP63 kit which had the wastegate running into the exhaust. I then had it changed for the sound.
Qualen, what kind of boost creep are you experiencing? When I had my old set-up, .70 A/R, profec-B and had no boost crep. Now I went with a .81 A/R and a HKS EZ and I get 30 psi steady through 4th gear, then in 5th that clicms to around 35?? My gauge only goes to 30 so I'm guessing. Realized it by accident as I felt the car go up in power, glanced at the gauge for a split second and noticed. Happens every time and everything is hooked up correctly with no problems. I'm thinking maybe it's my wastegate also. Let me know what you're experiencing.

I don't have any problems running max boost. I set my sbc-id to 27 and it rarely goes over. My problem is at street boost, and with the boost controller turned off it will creep to around 18 psi from a base of around 11-12psi by then end of 4th gear.

·
T-64 powered
166 Posts
houstonT said:
I love my setup, fully adjustable from 7 psi to 35+, never any boost creep in any gear, or at any boost pressure.
Peter

I think your range has a lot to do with your ebc than wastegate setup. That only determines your minimum boost right? I have heard turbonetics solutution to the problem was to run a smaller spring and let the ebc do all the work.

·
Premium Member
6,923 Posts
Yea, i'd say it's the perfect combo, the HKS EZ and the Innovative wg...
Peter

1 - 20 of 31 Posts