Supra Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
759 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey, i've heard a lot of NA-T people using either Clutchmasters or ACT clutches. Has anyone tried any of the RPS Max Series clutches? I've heard that their TT clutches are top notch (the arizona clutch uses an RPS pressureplate.) www.turboclutch.com

·
I rock like CRACK
1,010 Posts
I had a ACT when I was using the 5spd and I hated that clutch. I'm using the rps stage 3 now, if their 5spd clutches are anything like the ones they build for 6spds I would say go for it.

·
Registered
759 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
dohc3ltt said:
I've been in a NA-T with the max plate, the clutch pedal is stiffer then stock and very streetable.
Which of the three max plates do you have? The street disc, solid or sprung hub? How much horsepower are you running?

Thanks!

·
Sleeper King
2,235 Posts
I've had an RPS max plate with sprung 6 puck on my car for about 6k miles and a hand full of passes at the track. I've dyno'ed 430rwhp and have run a best of 12.6 on street tires with this clutch.

It'll definitely will handle the power, but on the track it started to slip on a couple of runs. I get no chatter, however, recently its started to screach (kinda like nails on a chalboard) when I start from a stop. The clutch is now out of the car (going 6spd) and it looks to be in good condition.

It's fairly streetable, it can be a bit touchy, but managable.

·
Banned
2,999 Posts
SP SC300 said:
I've had an RPS max plate with sprung 6 puck on my car for about 6k miles and a hand full of passes at the track. I've dyno'ed 430rwhp and have run a best of 12.6 on street tires with this clutch.

It'll definitely will handle the power, but on the track it started to slip on a couple of runs. I get no chatter, however, recently its started to screach (kinda like nails on a chalboard) when I start from a stop. The clutch is now out of the car (going 6spd) and it looks to be in good condition.

It's fairly streetable, it can be a bit touchy, but managable.
is the RPS max plate with sprung 6 puck noisy at idle or on engagement???

·
Banned
1,533 Posts
Chris @ Sound Performance said:
I get no chatter, however, recently its started to screach (kinda like nails on a chalboard) when I start from a stop. The clutch is now out of the car (going 6spd) and it looks to be in good condition.
yeah I know it's an old thread, but I haven't been able to find an answer to what makes the clutch screach as decribed here.
It's happening to me now, and I'm worried it's on it's way out... maybe throwout bearing failure?? :dunno: :confused:

·
EFI Certified Tuner
1,877 Posts
kmn5 said:
yeah I know it's an old thread, but I haven't been able to find an answer to what makes the clutch screach as decribed here.
It's happening to me now, and I'm worried it's on it's way out... maybe throwout bearing failure?? :dunno: :confused:
yet another reason why I will never buy a RPS clutch again. I personally think they're overpriced and don't deliver what they're advertised to do... Kmn5, does the sceaching go away if you push the clutc pedal in a little?

·
Banned
1,533 Posts
dejacky said:
yet another reason why I will never buy a RPS clutch again. I personally think they're overpriced and don't deliver what they're advertised to do... Kmn5, does the sceaching go away if you push the clutc pedal in a little?
thanks for the reply, guess I'm not the only one up at 3:30 in the morning :bigthumb: (and I have to get up at 7:30 for work, doh)

Yes it does go away if I push it in like 2"

·
Registered
1,034 Posts
on the max clutch did your engagment point seem like it was really close to the floor?
I adjusted mine but it still seems really close to the floor regardless.

·
EFI Certified Tuner
1,877 Posts
RossoCorsaItaly said:
RPS is the main clutch I sell to NA-T'ers, great feedback so far.
My opinion is subjective, so take it with a grain of salt but many na-t'ers (me included) give rps clutches negative feedback because their clutches do not last (nor function efficiently), the performance is subpar, and they don't warranty any of their clutch discs. I will never buy a RPS clutch or product ever again and I do not recommend their clutches to others based on my experience. Kmn5, that screeching you're hearing could be your throw-out bearing (or not enough grease used in those surrounding areas).

Other options? I've heard good things about Southbend clutches. Can anyone chime in on some experience of Southbend vs. RPS clutches?

·
Registered
5,197 Posts
dejacky said:
My opinion is subjective, so take it with a grain of salt but many na-t'ers (me included) give rps clutches negative feedback because their clutches do not last (nor function efficiently), the performance is subpar, and they don't warranty any of their clutch discs. I will never buy a RPS clutch or product ever again and I do not recommend their clutches to others based on my experience. Kmn5, that screeching you're hearing could be your throw-out bearing (or not enough grease used in those surrounding areas).

Other options? I've heard good things about Southbend clutches. Can anyone chime in on some experience of Southbend vs. RPS clutches?
Which disc did you have street or 6-puck? Max or sport PP? Did you buy it through MVP? If so, PM me, I can try my best to get any warranty issue taken care of (depending on how long it's been since the incident). It's the main clutch I've been selling for the last 3 years. Sold over 30 of them to NA-T set-ups specifically, not going to say all of them were successful but nobody ever called me with negative feedback or wanted to claim it under warranty. You say many NA-T'ers are experiencing problems, is this with all their clutch set-ups or a specific one given they have 4 for the N/A?

As far as Southbend we're an authorized dealer, don't think we've ever sold one to an N/A but the TT guys have left negative feedback on the clutch, although their customer service is great so gotta give them that. They're pretty popular amongst the Audi guys however.

·
Registered
298 Posts
RabidChild said:
Hey, i've heard a lot of NA-T people using either Clutchmasters or ACT clutches. Has anyone tried any of the RPS Max Series clutches? I've heard that their TT clutches are top notch (the arizona clutch uses an RPS pressureplate.) www.turboclutch.com

I HAVE A RPS WITH MAX PRESSURE PLATE AND STREET DISC WITH FIDANZA LIGHT FLYWHEEL FOR SALE IF INTERESTED PM ME....

·
EFI Certified Tuner
1,877 Posts
Which disc did you have street or 6-puck? Max or sport PP? Did you buy it through MVP? If so, PM me, I can try my best to get any warranty issue taken care of (depending on how long it's been since the incident). It's the main clutch I've been selling for the last 3 years. Sold over 30 of them to NA-T set-ups specifically, not going to say all of them were successful but nobody ever called me with negative feedback or wanted to claim it under warranty. You say many NA-T'ers are experiencing problems, is this with all their clutch set-ups or a specific one given they have 4 for the N/A?

As far as Southbend we're an authorized dealer, don't think we've ever sold one to an N/A but the TT guys have left negative feedback on the clutch, although their customer service is great so gotta give them that. They're pretty popular amongst the Audi guys however.
I originally had the RPS MAX pressure plate + RPS "street" (full face, unsprung) clutch disc combo. They didn't honor their "clutch disc warrantee" and I later found several others complaining this rps street clutch disc wears out prematurely. I purchased it from HorsePowerFreaks and all they did was tell me to talk to RPS :jerkit:...perhaps I should buy my stuff from MVP from now on :yum:. Here's the thread detailing my RPS experience:

http://www.clubna-t.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1041

1 - 19 of 19 Posts