Supra Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
adammackintosh.net
5,807 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey I'm looking for the brand new status thickness specs of the rps triple

I have an email out to RPS now, so I'll update this with the facts; whoever finds it first

·
Premium Member
10,086 Posts
Only if you have the newer billet cover we've been selling the last 3.5 years:
Twin disc (either flywheel) start at .310 including the floater.
Triple are at .310 including the discs and floaters EXCEPT for the bottom disc that rubs against the flywheel will be .355 to .360 new.

If you don't have a strapless cover then you have either the same .310 discs as above or you have the older, heavier discs which were .290 new. These older discs will either be gold or they will be a flat black paint. (All the new billet are raw aluminum / shiny by comparison, that way you know which disc(s) you have).

ANY disc that is more than 30 thousandths thinner than new needs to be rebuilt.

Thanks,

Dusty

·
adammackintosh.net
5,807 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
what is the measurement? mine are in milimeters. is that 3 thousands of an inch or what? sorry im canadian.

thx though this is very helpful once i figure out the units of measurement. mine is a billet strapless and youve already explained why the flywheel disc is slightly thicker.

[edit] ok thats definitely inches. lemme do some conversions

·
adammackintosh.net
5,807 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
ok i converted all mine and it seems they are pretty close to new (thx alpha. good deal)

only thing is a couple of my plates are actually thicker than your max

heres my measurements. we used digital calipers and if you find anything weird i will retake the measurements.

outer floater (pressure plate side) - 8.98mm / 0.354"
disc 1 (outer) - 7.55mm / 0.297"
middle floater - 7.60mm / 0.299"
disc 2 (middle) - 8.17mm / 0.322"
inner floater (flywheel side) - 7.57mm / 0.298"
disc 3 (inner) - 9.06mm / 0.357"

why the heck are 2 of the discs thicker than .310" (besides the disc3inner) lol?? am i dumb?

thx dusty and crew

oh and if anyone else comes in here looking for facts,
0.310" = 7.87mm
and 30 thou = 0.76mm. which makes the minimum thickness for plates 7.11mm

as you can see none of my discs are anywhere near 7.11mm which means i am winning.

·
Premium Member
10,086 Posts
I haven't run into this question before, thus I don't feel confident in trying to guess the answer. I emailed and called RPS about 5 hours ago, and just tried calling again. I know RJ is out with a medical issue and they have been slow to get back to me recently. As soon as I do hear back from them I'll let you know.

Thanks,

Dusty

·
adammackintosh.net
5,807 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
thx dusty sorry to rustle your jimmies. lol

my civic window regulator is supposed to be in today, if i goto lordco i will measure my clutch again and double check those plates that are bit over. my buddy was rounding up the last digit to give me 2 places after the decimal, so MAYBE he got confused somewhere along the way (i doubt that though)

thx for doin some leg work though. rps is so far ignoring my email. i am watching this thread and i will update if they tell me anything you havent said already.

·
Premium Member
10,086 Posts
No worries, I'll keep you updated.

I don't think RPS is ignoring you, I think they aren't in the office. They are a small, family-run company and with RJ out there isn't anyone manning the phones.

Thanks,

Dusty

·
adammackintosh.net
5,807 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
yea i use the term ignore loosely. i always hear people talk about that one guy ron or whatever his name is and he replied to my last email i sent them, so i figure he is busy or something to that affect.

·
adammackintosh.net
5,807 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
ok dusty, i took my clutch in today and we re-measured it.

i dont have the measurements in front of me but the one disc that was out was 0.298" on remeasure. so thats 1 of 2 errors fixed.
the other one though is the outer pressure plate side floater disc. it was still 0.352" or something

so it looks like both the inner and outer most "plates" are 0.350 give or take something, and the rest of them are 0.310.
hopefully thats the case anyway, or else i got a thick ass plate on hand :)

·
Toyota Hybrid Tech
806 Posts
ok dusty, i took my clutch in today and we re-measured it.

i dont have the measurements in front of me but the one disc that was out was 0.298" on remeasure. so thats 1 of 2 errors fixed.
the other one though is the outer pressure plate side floater disc. it was still 0.352" or something

so it looks like both the inner and outer most "plates" are 0.350 give or take something, and the rest of them are 0.310.
hopefully thats the case anyway, or else i got a thick ass plate on hand :)
did you measure it with a micrometer or viener caliper?

·
adammackintosh.net
5,807 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 · (Edited)
digital caliper. looks like a veiner except digital.

[edit]
how did we get this red exclamation symbol in the title anyway, i didnt put that in there

·
adammackintosh.net
5,807 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
nah i think the measurements are quite accurate now, only 1 measurement was off and it could have been a communication error, the other one is still off and its wildly off so im pretty sure that floater plate is just supposed to be thicker than .310
it looks like everything is 0.310" except the outer floater which is 0.350" and the inner disc which is 0.350"

its not a matter of life or death to have exact measurement since the clutch only has 2000 miles on it lol. and so far is checking back showing pretty much exactly "2000 miles of wear".

but this thread is useful for people searching for BNIB disc thickness on rps triple and also by the looks of it, the rps twin aswell (should be mostly .310" discs in there too)

1 - 13 of 13 Posts