Supra Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Can someone tell me why rps turbo kits are cheaper than sp kits? I was looking at mvpmotorsports.com and noticed that the RPS kits were about $1000 cheaper than SP kits and looked like they had the same stuff in their kits. Please explain! Beside a better BOV and powder coating is there a real difference?

·
Registered
11,270 Posts
BIG differences...... ours has a HKS GT Wastegate vs the Turbonetics Racegate. Ours comes with the full length down pipe which is a $450 option on the RPS kit. Ours comes with ceramic coating on the header, turbo, midpipe, and downpipe. Our turbo is polished, and all our IC pipes and air intake is powder coated. Ours has a 4" intake vs the 3" on the RPS kit. 4" K&N air filter vs their 3". I think those are the main differences.

The RPS kit is very nice, and very proven. When I designed my kit I had to make it better than the other kits on the market.

Lar
SP

N

·
0 Posts
You get what you par for......Larry's kits are reliable and the SP turbos are the best fastest spooling turbos out there.

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Lar,
I read that the PHR stage 1 turbo spools at full boost at 3800 rpms. I noticed the kit puts out the same rwhp as would your SP60. At what rpm can I expect full boost at? Also what is the torque curve like on your SP60. I noticed this was were your SP63 had full boost! Tell me what I need!

I really want something that I can race on street possibly from dead stop. Also I would like it to be good toward the top end as well but would rather have the power to exit turns more than top end. I dont care about having the fastest 1/4 times just something in the mid to low 11's. Can you make the SP63 behave like this on lower boost or is my only option the SP60? I want to be able to upgrade someday if I decide I want topend low 1/4 times. Mainly it will be my daily driver so I cant get too bad of fuel mileage. Thanks!

·
Registered
11,270 Posts
What kind of RWHP are you looking for?

Are you going to do a fuel system??

Is your car a 6 spd or auto?

Basically tell me your goals, and all that is done to your car and we can go from there.

Lar
SP

·
Registered
182 Posts
Scottie
A SP57 will net you mid to low 11's and it spools unbelievably fast. It seems to spool very quickly, even in the lower gears. I just drove through some twisties yesterday (the first time since I installed mine) and was marveled at the improvement over the stock twins. I swear the 57 spools faster than stock twins and pulls much harder. I do SCCA some times and this turbo is much better for that application in many ways. Less weight, faster spool, cooler intake air to the engine( more efficient turbo) etc...

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks Keller!

Lar,

6spd

500-600rwhp?? Whatever it usually takes for 11's

With fuel

Without fuel

I want to know what I am capable of running with and without fuel. I will go without fuel at the beginning and eventually upgrade when I dont care so much about fuel mileage. Thanks!

·
Registered
763 Posts
I have an SP63 and absolutely love it. It is a very streetable turbo in a 6 speed car. It spools very quick. I think my car is hitting full boost right around 3800 rpms.

After reading what you are looking for I think you would be hard pressed to find a turbo that will fulfill all your goals better than an SP63.

You want something that you can squeeze more out of it in the future. You want something that can be tuned with and without a fuel system. I think an SP63 will fit your bill quit nicely.

I swear by this turbo. My car ran a 10.7 at 132 mph at 27 psi of boost using ET streets. This was with a 1.5X 60 foot time.

Last wednesday I pulled of a 1.60 60 foot time on 275/40/17 BFG Drag Radaials!!! I was running 24 psi of boost on my second of two passes made at the track. I am confident with the boost turned up to 27 I can muster up a 60ft time in the 1.5's and bust off a nice 10 second pass. Mind you this is without NOS and in a 6 speed car.

That SP63 spools quick.

Email me if you have any questions.

-pete

·
Registered
11,270 Posts
Id suggest the SP57 to start out with. It is the perfect turbo for stock fuel. Peter Waterman has run 11.4s at 128 with it on stock fuel in a 6 spd. We have run 11.0s with it in an automatic. When you have enough $$ to get the fuel system you can trade in the 57 turbo for a 63 or whatever you want. The rest of the turbo kit is the same!!

Lar
SP

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Thanks Lar!

Yeah, exactly what is involved in changing the used SP57 for a SP63 and how much???

Does this mean we could buy a used turbo with the kit? Would this make it cheaper than a new turbo?

·
BPU is so 1997
5,349 Posts
Pretty soon Lar will start doing a demo service of turbos.

Talk about customer satisfaction to the max. :cool:

·
Registered
2,913 Posts
Peter,

Your new car looks good in the sig photo! Have any more pics of it? I don't know what it is with white Supras, but they can be kinda weak looking, or KILLER looking, and it's hard to pinpoint what makes all the difference.

Steve - would like to have a white Supra to go with the black one... or could be happy with a silver one... or a second black one... or even one of those girly-looking RSPs... ;)

houstonT said:
Amen to that boostjunkie!!!!
Peter

1 - 20 of 22 Posts