Supra Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
2/3 HP to the Paws
1,519 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
New season means new rubber for the Duc, and I got talked into a set of Pilot Powers. I had originally planned on trying the new Dunlop Qualifier, but I'm rather glad I didn't. After putting about a hundred miles on the Pilots, all I can say is :eek3: :run: :faint:

The best tire I've ever ridden in the ten-odd years I've been doing so. Wow. They take a little getting used to, as even on my 916 which is very easy to set into turns, the Pilot Powers make the bike feel like it wants to fall over in corners. This is a feature, not a bug, as they say, as after a few miles they are extremely confidence inspiring.

They also get very sticky, very fast, and handle grooves and ruts and the like extremely well. My old Dunlop 208's would tend to grab somewhat on frost cracks, but the Powers just slide right over them.

If anyone is looking for new rubber, you could do much worse than the Pilot Powers.

Now I just need a set of Power Race for the track. :D

·
on vacation
3,062 Posts
Awesome! Pilots are always excellent choices...if you can front the cash, try a set of Races next season. Awesome tires...but I think the races top the michelin list of tires.

·
Registered
370 Posts
Simba said:
New season means new rubber for the Duc, and I got talked into a set of Pilot Powers. I had originally planned on trying the new Dunlop Qualifier, but I'm rather glad I didn't. After putting about a hundred miles on the Pilots, all I can say is :eek3: :run: :faint:

The best tire I've ever ridden in the ten-odd years I've been doing so. Wow. They take a little getting used to, as even on my 916 which is very easy to set into turns, the Pilot Powers make the bike feel like it wants to fall over in corners. This is a feature, not a bug, as they say, as after a few miles they are extremely confidence inspiring.

They also get very sticky, very fast, and handle grooves and ruts and the like extremely well. My old Dunlop 208's would tend to grab somewhat on frost cracks, but the Powers just slide right over them.

If anyone is looking for new rubber, you could do much worse than the Pilot Powers.

Now I just need a set of Power Race for the track. :D

Couldn't have said it better myself. Before i had the pilot powers, I went through two rear tires that had plenty of tread left, but for some reason, nails love my rear tires. I had to replace two rear tires within 1500 miles. But, I have to say, I am almost glad I had taken the nail in my previous tire (Battlax). The powers made my r6 feel like a totally different bike. It increased my riding ability and my confidence greatly. They are worth every penny and I only wish I bought them sooner. These tires are raved about for a reason and every rider I know hails the powers.

Have to add...they hold up pretty dam well in the rain also. By far the most traction I have had in wet weather.

·
2/3 HP to the Paws
1,519 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
makenzie71 said:
Awesome! Pilots are always excellent choices...if you can front the cash, try a set of Races next season. Awesome tires...but I think the races top the michelin list of tires.
Yeah, I've tried the Race version on a friend's bike at the track. That's where they belong-- I don't think I'd want to use them on the street.

As it is, I'm brushing my knee on bumps and crests on the street with the Powers. I don't think I need to go any lower. :eek4dance

·
on vacation
3,062 Posts
There's DOT street legal Race compounds...lol. I wouldn't normally run them on the street either, but they came on a bike I bought...super tires...

·
Registered
591 Posts
Pilot powers are awesome, I am a long time fan of the old pilots that were discontinued last summer and had to go with the powers, best tire I have ridden.

·
Registered
861 Posts
So am I to understand that i should rethink ordering the set of Qualifiers I was about to get??

·
2/3 HP to the Paws
1,519 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
speedin89 said:
So am I to understand that i should rethink ordering the set of Qualifiers I was about to get??
I was loyal to Dunlop for many years. I lost count of how many sets of 208's I burned up, and was planning on getting a set of Qualifiers, as I've tried them on a friend's bike and they're a fine tire. It took quite a lot of talking-out-of to get me to try the Powers, in fact, as I had run a set of the older Pilots and was not a fan. They had a very nasty tendency to slide at high bank angles with zero feedback before doing so.

However, there's just no comparison to the new Pilot Powers. I've got about 200 miles on them now, and hit rain with them for the first time last night. They could be twice the price and last half as long, and I'd still buy them. They're that good.

·
Registered
861 Posts
Simba said:
I was loyal to Dunlop for many years. I lost count of how many sets of 208's I burned up, and was planning on getting a set of Qualifiers, as I've tried them on a friend's bike and they're a fine tire. It took quite a lot of talking-out-of to get me to try the Powers, in fact, as I had run a set of the older Pilots and was not a fan. They had a very nasty tendency to slide at high bank angles with zero feedback before doing so.

However, there's just no comparison to the new Pilot Powers. I've got about 200 miles on them now, and hit rain with them for the first time last night. They could be twice the price and last half as long, and I'd still buy them. They're that good.
S-O-L-D!!

·
road hazard
452 Posts
i still haven't tried the michelin pilot powers but ever since i tried the dunlop qualifiers, i've been a born again dunlop user. great tires!

i don't think you can go wrong with any of the new street tires (michelin pilot powers, dunlop q's, metzeler m3)

BusaPro said:
if you guys need some shoot me a email [email protected] i can get you race take offs all day long in pilot power's or super corsa's
email sent.

·
Registered
222 Posts
The pilot power is a duel compond you will get more miles the a SC and they are stickyer( i think thats how you spell it lol). Emailed ya back

·
Registered
188 Posts
i've always had Diablo Corsa's on my past bikes....it also took me awhile for someone to convince me to go with the powers.....and when i did, it's like what the previous post said....it just dips right down into a turn....the first time that happend i thought i was going to drop the bike

1 - 15 of 15 Posts