Supra Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My car was getting hot very quick from the coolant that was previously in there. It'd heat up to operating temps in about 2-3 mins of driving (atleast this is what my factory temp gauge says). So I decided to flush the system and put in 50/50 toyota red and distilled water. Anyway, I flush the system, do all the good stuff, and sure enough my car's temp gauge goes right back up sitting at idle pretty quickly (within 2 mins) and KEEPS RISING.

So I go to shut it off but I notice when I turn the ignition off and the turbo timer takes over, my temp goes back to normal and just sits there. Wondering if I have a faulty temp sensor, or what you guys think? Anyone have a bad one at higher miles?

·
Will work for Supra parts
624 Posts
Mine actually warms up very quick too. I was surpised. One day, I let the car idle in the yard just because I was going to move it out of the garage for a short time and then take it back in. It might have been 5 mins tops and when I jumped back in, the gauge was at the half way point, where it usually is after being warmed up. I've yet to see it go higher, no matter how quick it gets the half way point.

It almost sounds to me like you have some air in the system. An air lock or bubble will cause the temp gauge to climb really fast. Sometimes just a couple heat cycles of the engine running will eventually get the bubbles out, but most of the time you crack open a bleeder to really fix the problem. Pretty sure you can also buy a vacuum pump for burping the cooling system too. Sometimes the bleeder screws are frozen in place.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thank for responding! :) Hopefully it is just an air pocket. Problem is, I don't think we have any bleeder T's. I guess I will just hope it cycles out? I searched my ASS off here on SF for this problem, and I don't think that suddenly, after a coolant change, it'd be anything other than air.

·
Banned
1,624 Posts
park the car on an incline with the radiator
as high as possible and open up radiator cap and let it burp.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Well, turns out after a few hot/cold episodes, I'm reading normal again. Guess it was just an air pocket. Sometimes I overreact, but better to be too cautious than too negligent I guess. ;)

G

·
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
brian_k03 said:
park the car on an incline with the radiator
as high as possible and open up radiator cap and let it burp.
Exactly what I ended up doing, thanks man.

·
SupraCop
407 Posts
i just recently hit an air pocket while i was driving. I added more red/dist and wala all is perfect again.
It took almost a year of driving for the air pocket to come out too. I did a flush
when i did my timing belt.

One day driving down a bumpy road and the heat gauge starts rising fast. I pull over let it cool check my fan plugs. one seemed to be loose. drove longer happend again. turned around and went home stopping when it went up. let it cool and checked it out. I was down to the top of the core. I filled it up. hopefully that is all it was for you too.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts