Supra Forums banner

1 - 20 of 56 Posts

·
Registered
325 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
NOTE: i really dont care what anyone says about the mkIII supra being a fatass...the i6 engine can back it up....so i really dont want to hear people say why waste my time trying to drift a a70 supra when you can go get a 240sx....if i wanted to drift a 240sx...i would...but i dont...im dedicated to drifting a a70....so bare with me here...

i have an 88 n/a...has a knocking rod i think and isnt showing oil pressure...so im saying the hell with it and im going to get a new engine...looking at the weight to power ratios of the 88 n/a and the 88 turbo...the turbo car seems to be better suited for drifting power wise...now...im 18...and i wanna start practicing and what not and dont feel like saving up for all the parts to run the 7mgte just yet...and i know i will wanna go turbo later to get more power going in and out of turns...is it possible i can buy the 7mgte engine and put it in my n/a and run it as a 7mge until i get the cash to run it as the 7mgte?...because all in all...people have made good points around here...why buy the 7mge if theres a turbo version of it...it would be a pain to go and try to slap a turbo on the 7mge.....

so if i wanted to run the 7mgte engine as the 7mge engine for awhile till i got the other turbo parts...all i would have to do....

discard turbo
use 7mgte ecu
use 7mgte wiring harness

*please add to list*

·
Registered
325 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
why not

why not???...there basically the same engine right?...besides pistons and small things....i dont really see a problem...and sorry if i confused you.....i just wanna get the 7mgte first instead of buying the 7mge and having to get a 7mgte later....since there basically the same engine....cant i just take off the parts that make the 7mgte different from the 7mge and run it as a 7mge till im ready to put on the turbo parts to run it as a 7mgte?

·
0 to gas station in 5 sec
1,012 Posts
Yeah sure, you can do it, you won't have very much power at all though. The compression ratio of the GTE engine is much lower and without the turbo you'll have no power. I have a feeling using the GTE ecu won't work, because it will be programmed for the turbo kicking in.

Pretty much all I can really say is it will have no power, it will probably be the same as having a 4cyl in a supra.

You might as well do a whole turbo conversion, and just limit the boost really low if you want to learn on less power.

·
DDDDUUUUUBBBBBZZZZZZZZ
2,022 Posts
Without being an ass hole, here is an honest response. The distributor/coil pack/cps transition will be tough. Also, the thing will run like complete poop because the GTE has a lower compression ratio (designed to be compensated by the turbo). I wouldn't recommend this. Just save up for a turbo/manifold/etc. Lots of people on here are selling their turbos cheap.

·
Turbonetics..faggot asses
1,062 Posts
The 7mgte without a turbo is a turd.......Its only got 8.5 :1 compression. You'll lose like 60+ horsepower without the turbo. An NA engine has like 9.5:1 which is why theres only a 30 hp difference between them stock side by side.

·
Boostless
686 Posts
Sory, I had been waiting for an excuse to use that picture.

Like what the others have said, it really is not going to produce the results you want trying to convert a GTE to run without the turbo. I'm still not understanding the whole "cost of it being turbo" thing. They way I see it, it would end up costing you MORE to swap in a GTE then convert it to N/A than it would to just swap the GTE and leave it turbo. I would suggest either just swapping the GTE now and leaving it stock, or just swapping in another GE and turbo it later.

·
Turbonetics..faggot asses
1,062 Posts
JonoTurbo said:
Yeah sure, you can do it, you won't have very much power at all though. The compression ratio of the GTE engine is much lower and without the turbo you'll have no power. I have a feeling using the GTE ecu won't work, because it will be programmed for the turbo kicking in.

Pretty much all I can really say is it will have no power, it will probably be the same as having a 4cyl in a supra.

You might as well do a whole turbo conversion, and just limit the boost really low if you want to learn on less power.
Actually IMho I think it would bolt right in and run fine. We use Air flow sensors which will adjust themselves (in a manner of speaking) the 8.5:1 will just pull less air and tell the computer to put in less fuel....The distrbutor should bolt right in without a problem.

·
DDDDUUUUUBBBBBZZZZZZZZ
2,022 Posts
I said the reason it's stupid, and so did a couple other people. No offense though. I'm sick of everyone bashing the newbies just because they are asking something that you already know. 95% of this board was 16-18 when we started using it and asked the same stupid rice questions. I don't think this Q was even all that stupid for a novice supra owner.

·
got sup
1,553 Posts
No, Ok if ur going to get a 7mgte motor why not just run it turbo, i mean u have everything u need for the motor only thing i may need is a ecu which wont be so bad. Or sell ur n/a and buy a turbo car it is much easier.

·
DDDDUUUUUBBBBBZZZZZZZZ
2,022 Posts
Fried Rice said:
Actually IMho I think it would bolt right in and run fine. We use Air flow sensors which will adjust themselves (in a manner of speaking) the 8.5:1 will just pull less air and tell the computer to put in less fuel....The distrbutor should bolt right in without a problem.
you need the CPS/coil packs/ignitor from the GTE

1 - 20 of 56 Posts