Supra Forums banner

1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
many guys had hondas RHD fully registered in california and smogged. has anyone ever done this with a supra but adding all the needed emissions converting to usdm 2jz.

·
what comes out the butt?
4,469 Posts
1....search, this has been discussed before

2.....if you would have searched you would have found, the usdm supra is SUPERIOR to the jdm supra, so the only reason to want one would be to want RHD, and thats a ricer thing...

-mike

·
JZA70 or go home!!
2,495 Posts
MaliCali said:
1....search, this has been discussed before

2.....if you would have searched you would have found, the usdm supra is SUPERIOR to the jdm supra, so the only reason to want one would be to want RHD, and thats a ricer thing...

-mike
whooo whoo watch what you say BAS does have a RHD supra.

·
Registered
1,953 Posts
^^ they are underrated due to that stupid "gentlemans agreement"...

the only downside to the jdm's are the ceramic turbos, correct?

·
Premium Member
7,335 Posts
There are actually several differences between USDM and JDM Supras. USDM has larger injectors, but smaller turbine and compressor, and also, TT Supras ONLY came with targa tops on the automatics! Sooo shitty! A few more differences I remember are cam size/duration, the use of a MAP sensor (as opposed to the MAF sensor on USDM Supras), the larger A/R ratio on USDMs, a higher differential ratio on JDMs, differing TCS's, and a few wheel and tire differences before '95. I think with the larger turbine and higher diff. ratio, the JDM may be a better BASE for BPU+++++PLUS++, but I'd miss the targa.
It should also be noted that the Supra was down 40 HP compared to the USDM version, but had 8 more HP (23 more on '97 VVTis).
By the way, 'being JDM' with RHD (the perfect formula for flyest guy in town!) isn't the only reason to get a JDM Supra at all. Over there, F&F didn't jack the prices above what they should be, so you can get a '97 TT 6SP with about 60K miles for around 15-17K, and if you just want the hawt look of a Supra for your daughter, a '93-'94 NA Auto can be picked up for 8-9K (I shop Supras in Japan often!). Also, with higher gas prices, more crowded roads, and more practical mass transit systems, Supras WILL have lower mileage. Under 50K miles is NOT hard to find. There are also less straightaways and more traffic density on narrower roads in Japan, so less oppurtunity to "get on it," insuring a less-redlined 2JZ. As I said before, hardtops are also easier to find there, which is choice for the big-time performance enthusiast. Also, the fact that the Supra was manufactured until 2002 in Japan means you can get a newer model, which is always mo' gooder.
The USDM Supra is not superior to the JDM model, just given a few differences for more HP. In either country, the car was made to be tuned, just as any Japanese sports car is, however Americans would never pay that much for a <300 HP car.
As was said before, try a search, but that shit can be frustrating, but I'm pretty sure importing and USifying a car is pretty painless as long as that model/trim/year is manufactured stateside already. Your best bet would be to give me the money to try it myself.

·
Premium Member
12,619 Posts
Troux said:
I'm pretty sure importing and USifying a car is pretty painless as long as that model/trim/year is manufactured stateside already
I am almost 100% positive that it is illegal to try such a thing. Anyone who has done it has done it by playing around with VINs and wrecked cars' titles.

Reactions: eightball

·
Supra TT Senior
1,887 Posts
FYRARMS said:
Anyone who has done it has done it by playing around with VINs and wrecked cars' titles.
That'd be the "painless" way to go. It's probably a PITA trying to get a international car registered here as a legal car by working with the DMVs. Why deal with the trouble when you can just buy a USDM one? Other than the "JDM tytness I can drive on the right side" tytness factor.

·
I have auto ADD.
4,568 Posts
Troux said:
I'm pretty sure importing and USifying a car is pretty painless as long as that model/trim/year is manufactured stateside already. Your best bet would be to give me the money to try it myself.
Click Search. Type importing. You will find it can't be done. Maybe if you have a LOT of money because you will have to crash test a few, pay lots of fees. Not worth it in the end.

-Brewster :run:

·
Registered
1,826 Posts
boi_si said:
many guys had hondas RHD fully registered in california and smogged. has anyone ever done this with a supra but adding all the needed emissions converting to usdm 2jz.
Not happening Honda boy.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 · (Edited)
just a thought... because most supra here are very expensive and hard to find. maybe a car importer to ship over a supra would be easy. letting CHP (since im from california) issue a VIN# and smogging it as a usdm 2jz...

i know theres a difference in jdm supra and usdm supra and same as all other jdm cars vs the same usdm cars.

·
Premium Member
7,804 Posts
Just save you rmoney man.............i guarantee watching your JDM supra get put through the car crusher will be harder on you than waiting and saving

·
Registered
703 Posts
If it was so easy it would have been done but it hasn't and it won't. If you really want to learn more about importing JDM cars, you better start reading up and I'm sure Sean Morris, (tyndago) on the boards, could help you out. Do a search for the posts done by Tyndago because Sean has made numerous posts with useful links about importing laws.

·
Do You Even HKS, Bro?!?
1,493 Posts
Might as well add some more "2 cents". I have not done it, nor have I looked into it.

I have seen and spoken to the owner of a JDM 92 Supra that was just imported and titled/liscened in California within the last couple of months.

He said something about having to have Toyota verify that the same bumpers are used in the JDM and USDM cars. After that there is other testing, etc which I am not familiar with since I was not the person to go through it.

If you're serious (actually serious), I'd reccomend making friends at the DMV and the like who may be able to answer your questions rather then listening to a bunch of people (including myself) who haven't done it.

Kevin

·
Registered
429 Posts
why is it impossible to import a supra but IS possible to import the skyline?

·
Premium Member
4,109 Posts
2JZ JC said:
why is it impossible to import a supra but IS possible to import the skyline?
It WAS possible, but i don't think that is the case any longer...this has also been discussed ad nauseum, search for christ's sake people :stickpoke

·
shotaro kaneda
2,048 Posts
BoostedSupraGirl said:
Whats wrong with the USDM Supra?

Besides, the JDM Supra only comes with 280hp. Come on now. :p :run:
it's got a lot more than 280 BHP, that's just what toyota advertised because of the gentlemens agreement. if you put the specs side by side, you'll see the the JDM supra is actually makes 5 more lb-ft of torque 400 rpm earlier than a USDM supra, i'd bet that the JDM supra is more powerful than the US counterpart.

the gentlemen's agreement has always thrown power figures off. the JDM supra makes about 320-330 BHP from what i hear, the R34 GT-R laid the 340 BHP smack down on the dyno before it left production, the GTO made more than 280 BHP, etc. i think the only car of the era whose numbers were correct was the NSX and NSX-R. also notice that every car made in that time seemed to have 280 BHP.

1 - 20 of 39 Posts