Supra Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
1,192 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
O.k., I've been doing some research to get past the lack of aftermarket cams for the NA. I now have a TT cam sensor and pigtail, and I don't understand why no one has tried to mount it in an NA head. Is there a big problem here? I know there's very little meat on the side of the head between lobes 3 and 4, but I'm sure something can be done. Anyone ever tried to do it?

-scott

R

·
0 Posts
I believe that Ethan did this but I'm not sure whether or not he used the TT or the MK3 CS.

Ryan

·
Registered
1,192 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
rwsupra.com said:
I believe that Ethan did this but I'm not sure whether or not he used the TT or the MK3 CS.

Ryan
There's a big different in what I'm trying and what Ethan did. He went the regrind route using NA cams. Crank/cam position were provided via a mk3 CPS. (He could've just used the base of the ge NA distributor)

I want to use TT HKS or Jun cams on the NA head. That's only possible with a TT cam sensor (or something similar) to pick off the cam position from the intake cam. I'll worry about crank position once the cam position problem is solved.

-scott

·
BoostAddict4Life
2,012 Posts
i belive if you change to a TT valve cover it is possible for the TT cam sensor to read were the cam is, so in theory it is possible, but you would have to have an ECU/wires/ and coilpacks which support direct fire.

·
Registered
1,192 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
gamimnon said:
i belive if you change to a TT valve cover it is possible for the TT cam sensor to read were the cam is, so in theory it is possible, but you would have to have an ECU/wires/ and coilpacks which support direct fire.
The sensor is mounted in the TT head not the valve cover. Consequently, a TT valve cover is useless. Additionally, I have already converted my GE motor to wasted-spark using the AEM and the distributor base for cam/crank position (plus, of course, a bunch of new wiriing):).

The only issue is whether or not the sensor can be mounted and clocked at the same location as is done on the TT head. If that can be solved, we're home free. I've been told you can mount a cam sensor in the valve cover, but somehow you'd have to delay TDC to the ecu. Until someone can convince me otherwise, using the valve cover won't work. Plus, I've checked all the settings in the AEM; there's no way to fake out cam TDC with respect to the crank position.

-scott

·
King of the NA-T's
4,044 Posts
I think it's a great idea Scott, but I'm not gonna be the first guy to drill 2 holes in the side of the head and see if it works... :p

I think that if you had a TT head there to take measurements from, and had a good welder/fabricator it wouldn't be all that hard.

B

·
0 Posts
interesting idea scott, but im curious about this: is there a reason why the Jun/HKS cams are better than just getting the crower set that are made for the GE ? (they have the gear) i would seriously like to know because i havent heard any reviews of the crower set yet..

·
Registered
1,192 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
DaveH said:
I think it's a great idea Scott, but I'm not gonna be the first guy to drill 2 holes in the side of the head and see if it works... :p

I think that if you had a TT head there to take measurements from, and had a good welder/fabricator it wouldn't be all that hard.
Carchitect as three heads (sounds kinda kinky) :D. I was going to stop by his place and check the cam sensor locations on the NA, TT, and VVT-i heads. Hopefully, there's enough meat on the NA head to fit the sensor.

-scott

B

·
0 Posts
im gonna guess wherever toyota mounted it on the VVT-i head would be the ideal location for it on our regular NA heads (about the same amount of room on the sides of the heads).. unless they have it off the front of the head? (reading the timing gears). im not sure since ive never looked at the vvti heads..

S

·
0 Posts
Have you seen the pic of the Supra engine w/ the tubular header style intake manifold (no surge tanks and 2x 3-into-1 collectors w/ a throttle plate for each) It looks to have a distributor driven directly by the intake cam gear (shaft comes straight out from the gear, and the dist is mounted right in front of it). Looked pretty neat, anyway..

B

·
0 Posts
wild... you could always attach a trigger wheel to the cam gear and have a magnetic sensor being tripped off that to feed the AEM with cam position.......

·
King of the NA-T's
4,044 Posts
bdekoning said:
interesting idea scott, but im curious about this: is there a reason why the Jun/HKS cams are better than just getting the crower set that are made for the GE ? (they have the gear) i would seriously like to know because i havent heard any reviews of the crower set yet..
The Crowers are regrinds of the stockers, which reduces the base circle and requires lash caps. I don't want to have to deal with lash caps, I think that is Scott's reasoning also.

·
Registered
1,192 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Hey Dave,

I have an idea that might work using the valve cover after all. If the sensor is mounted in the valve cover, that would advance the timing due to the sensor being mounted at say the 1 o'clock position instead of the OEM 3 o'clock position. (The cam rotates in the CW direction) Using a degree wheel on the cam gear, we could measure how much advance the sensor position adds. Based on the advance, we retard the timing in the ignition table by exactly the same amount across the board.

I don't see why that wouldn't work. Additionally, I think we could set base timing to be 10 degrees BTDC even though the sensor position is so far advanced. The only problem might be the advanced timing of fuel delivery, but I don't think that will be an issue.

What do you think?

-scott

B

·
0 Posts
i was pretty sure the latest crower cams are not regrinds.. but correct me if im wrong.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts