Supra Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Spencer
823 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
When running a HKS 60mm GT Wastegate what kind of range can I see when adjusting boost? I would like to run a 16-17 psi base with at 30 psi max but this seems unreal from what I have read without swapping springs. I really dont want to swap springs out everytime I wanna switch from running pump to race gas. Right now I am running a HKS clone manifold and 67mm turbo.

Right now i plan on using my profec B for boost control.Would I see more range with using a GM boost control solinoid using my AEM EMS?

·
Registered
1,638 Posts
It's all in what your low limit on your spring is set at. Mine for example was 24psi with the adjustmen screw all the way out and my boost controller off. I had to change the "big" spring to bring it down to a low boost of 18psi. You can control the boost using your boost controller if you ever want more boost though.

Click this link for more info: http://www.hksusa.com/products/more.asp?id=1472

·
Spencer
823 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Well I know about the adjustment, but what I want to know is what I can adust up to with boost controller with a base boost of 16-18 psi. Also if it makes a difference if I have a profect or am using a AEM to control boost.

·
Spencer
823 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
can anyone give me some feedback what kind of base and max boost they have with a HKS GT without changing the spring.

·
Registered
1,638 Posts
My base boost is 18psi but with a boost controller I have run 28psi easily. There is alot of people using this wastegate at 14psi base boost and with a controller also doing 28psi. The range you see on hks's website is acheived by adjusting the screw not using a boost controller. I'm not sure if your referring to that or not. Basically your spring with no boost controller could have a range of 18.5-24.2 psi using a soft outer spring (white/blue) and silver inner spring. You would acheive the 18.5 with the screw out and 24.5 with the screw turned in clockwise. But with a controller and the screw out you would have base boost of 18.5 and by "fooling" the wastegate with a controller you could then acheive over 28psi .

I hope that all made sense and answered your question. The key is to set your base with the proper spring selection then adjust from there using a controller.

·
The need for speed
1,653 Posts
I doubt there will be a difference using the profec or the gm boost solenoid. Some profecs can't handle high boost (unless you have a specII). I would install a gm solenoid to control boost w/ the AEM... that way you can have more control with boost in different gears.

-mike

·
I'm back!
6,712 Posts
I had a base boost of 14psi with the boost controller off and the spring all the way in, so I was only able to hit 24psi on high boost on the dyno. On the street I could hit 26-27psi. I just got a purple (20psi) spring from HKS and I'm gonna change that out and see if I can hit 30psi on the dyno day a week from Saturday.

It's frustrating.

·
Spencer
823 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I guess I have a Red green spring in, but I am not sure.....

When I opened it It had a green paint marking on it, and the spring wasnt really red, just the brownish color that say valve springs are.

So is this the HARD HKS spring? HKS site says its good for 12.8 - 18.5 psi?

·
Registered
235 Posts
I'm with Blackmkiv on this one. I have a red/green spring in. With the screw all the way down or all the way up what boost levels should I reach with my controller off?

1 - 10 of 10 Posts