Supra Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

· Registered
802 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My 97TT is stock. i noticed recently that it has been running a little hotter than normal, even on cooler days. Usually the gauge stays a little below the middle between C and H, but recently it has been staying just up past the halfway point. A couple of times it went up to 2/3 of the way towards H...once on the freeway at 80 mph and once in a neighborhood at 35 mph. Both times it went immediately back down though.

Here is the only suspected cause i have...a couple of months ago some idiot (possibly me :stickpoke ) put some green coolant into the overflow container when he noticed that it was empty. This all started sometime after that bit of stupidity.

Last week I removed the radiator cap and noticed some brown goo stuck to it. So i flushed the system with BG flush and put the red Toyota coolant back in...following the directions from mkiv.com. It still acts the same.

Ideas?

· Registered
802 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the reply. I will try the thermostat. i just hope i dont have some severe blockage in the system from mixing those two coolants together. That brown goo i found has me worried. I guess i will flush it again while i am changing the thermostat.

· Registered
802 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I dont think i am losing any fluid, but i will inspect the waterpump overflow hose. The temp spikes occurred once before and once after the flush, and i have not seen any evidence of fluid loss. Is there a flush made especially for idiots who mix the green and red coolants?

· Registered
802 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Well, i just did a flush and refilled with new Toyota red. I will do it again when i replace the thermostat. Two flushes are better than one.

Also, i have noticed that the electric fan runs more often now. Does it have it's own sensor, or does it read the same sensor that the temperature gauge reads?

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.