Supra Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
W

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Do the injectors ever fail under boost pressure only? When my boost hits around 5 lbs I puke a black cloud out the back of the car. The crap is so thick it sticks to the back of the car. It runs great as long as boost presssure stays down. There are no leaks in the turbo side(did a smoke test) and the injectors aren't leaking when tested in the shop? If my afm is shot will it do this? I have had an AFM trouble code for years but this problem is new.

·
Registered
372 Posts
I'm having the same problem......I have no boost leaks either but mine seems to happen only under 3/4 throttle or more...maybe the TPS?

W

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I haven't checked the TPS but I looked at your post on the same subject and I also have checked all the easy stuff(plugs,wires,coils, air leaks, exhaust/cat blockage) Someone on your thread mentioned the FPR, do you know how to check it?

·
Moderator, l337 M0d3r4t0r
12,222 Posts
if you're car is stock.. then that means you have a boost leak...

You may not know it but you have it.

Stock cars's get a black cloud when you meter this much air but it all leaks out by the time it gets to the engine.

If you're injectors are bad you'll run lean not rich...

BTW the only other option is if you're you're running too much fuel pressure from a FPR or electronic device such as a afc.

W

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
ZaZZN, you're right it acts exactly like it did when a piece of pipe going to the intercooler failed. There's no leaks, tested it under pressure with a smoke charge after replacing all the rubber and clamps. But I think I found the trouble.
Many people have told me that the afm is rarely what has gone bad when you get this trouble code but according to the test in the shop manual(clymer or chilton's) mine has failed. I checked it with a good meter and the resistance was 1900 ohms and should have only been about 800 at todays temp(if you want to see what a difference a few degrees makes hang your shoplight next to the afm and watch the ohms fall.) Has anyone had expierence with this test and did your ohms ever read this high?

W

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
BTW-my car is mostly stock. I have a profec-b, fipk, suprasport elbow, and 3 inch pipe with no cats. Everything else is stock.

·
Registered
372 Posts
I've checked every pipe and hose for a leak and I can't find anything. It really only occurs on the "lag" between accelerator down and power on. Once I am going there is no smoke at all. For example from a dead stop it belches smoke until 2nd gear then it is fine. Rolling on to a highway and punching in 2nd leaves a big cloud and then through 3rd and 4th it is fine.

·
Registered
372 Posts
I just checked my timing for the first time. I don't know if the old owner was on crack or what, but it was about 18BTDC!!! I adjusted it to 10 with the jumper as per the Haynes manual so I will have to go for a honk to see if it is running any better.

EDIT: I just got back from a quick drive and it seems way better!! I got one large puff on the first launch but after that my embarassing fogging problem seems to have gone. It also pulls quite nicely up to near 6000!!!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts