Supra Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1,181 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is it true that if you have rust on your car, it's there for good :( ?

because i sanded the rust out in the tire sparewell and repainted it. Now, it's coming back and the paint is peeling.

·
Dr. Jeff Lange
9,347 Posts
you need to get the rust down to bare metal if you don't want it to come back, or replace the metal.

You can't simply sand it smooth and expect it to be gone for good.

·
TOO broke MK3
841 Posts
um... rusted metal= WEAK metal

my car has a rust spot where the batery use to be... well more like a rust hole... my dril went trough when i tried to drill there(for the overflow relocation) and i dont mean the dril bit i MEAN the drill...

·
Registered
1,754 Posts
BadBoyToy said:
People want to get rid of rust because it speads and gets worse.
Yep, rust is just like cancer, except it kills your car, and usually not you. The sooner you find it, the less it will spread, and the easier it will be to stop. Samthing is true about cancer is it not?

·
got sup
1,553 Posts
rust i slike cancer it will spread at take over. As for why does he carea bout fixing it in his spare tire well it will spread and make the whole car amess.

·
Registered
432 Posts
get some rust killer to help out. but make sure you gring it down before you treat it.

·
Big HP = Big Downtime
2,995 Posts
sandblasting is the only sure way to get it all off and still keep the metal. When you do that you'll see how bad it really was.

Worst spots for rust are the wheel wells and in the trunk area it seems. over my windshield is rusting too. Im gonna bring it to a body shop to stop the little bit of rust i have in various areas before it gets worse.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Rust -dealing with it

Threre is a "ton" of products out there and a ton of info on how to deal with it.

You either cut and replace the area, or
physically remove the rust, etch the area , prime with special primers and promplty coat with a special type of paint that supposedly does not allow air to get to the previoulsy damaged metal.

Just etching and leaving a coat of primer will allow the area to re-rust. The primer allows air to come through that coat.

My suggestion is to do some homework on sites that specificaly focus on restoring expensive classic cars and use the products that they use.

Some products claim that you can leave the rust (after removing the loose chunks) and just coat with special paints.
Here is an example of a site that sells rust stuff.
There are many others.
Good luck
http://www.eastwood.com/jump.jsp?itemType=CATEGORY&itemID=1208&iMainCat=1208&iSubCat=1208

1 - 13 of 13 Posts