Supra Forums banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
285 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
well i got a black mk3 which i hoppin to restore and was wonderin if its worth redoin my qp bc there rusted and my underbody wat u ppl think

·
Registered
285 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)

·
Banned
4,966 Posts
Part it out and buy a cleaner shell.

Unless you do body work for a living.

·
Overlooked
4,677 Posts
Mmmm, salty! lol. Best and most complete way would be a tear down of the rear subframe and sand blast all the rust off the under carriage and components. The QPs, probably have to cut out the rust and replace with either really good sheet metal work or with another QP off another car.

·
still dreamin.....
1,159 Posts
oooh,,,that rust is gonna need to be cut out either way...and dont go the bondo route on such a big spot it wont help anything and it will make your car look like its made out of playdoh

·
Registered
80 Posts
damn that bitch is rusted...yea for QP your gonna have to cut it out shape the metal and weld dat thing back on....i have a little rust on my QP and thats what im doing

·
Registered
80 Posts
At the moment im learning....im mostly mechanical...im learning from an oldhead mechanic...he has a nice bluebird with the silva engine in it...inspired me to go all out for the supra...but yea..body work is pretty neat..still like mechanical is alot more interesting.......its annoying though to be a welder...gotta get a licnese and what not and be cert.

·
Banned
4,966 Posts
At the moment im learning....im mostly mechanical...im learning from an oldhead mechanic...he has a nice bluebird with the silva engine in it.......
Bluebirds (Sentra SE-R) and Silvias (240sx) both had options for a sr20de. You can't interchange the engines as they are manufactured differently to be FWD or RWD.

So there's nothing special about that car. B13 and B14 SE-R Sentras came from the factory with the sr20de.

B15 and B16 SER Sentras come with the QR25DE.

its annoying though to be a welder...gotta get a licnese and what not and be cert.
No you don't. I weld the piss out of custom exhausts for my car and friend's cars. I don't have any kind of certification.

·
Registered
3,527 Posts
I don't know much about Nissans/Datsuns (like honda never cared for them) but I think the older bluebirds were RWD..maybe idk.

Anyways, if it was my car (since I like body work and extensive restorations lol) I'd find a wrecked MKIII and cut QP patches out. As far as the underbody, it's hard to tell. I'd probably need to see it in person. As long as the underbody is structurally sound, I'd fix it. But that's just me. I like a good PITA (no homo haha). Whether is economical or not depends on whether you do it yourself and what you decide.

·
Registered
285 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
yea i dont no how to weld but my friend welds at his work for ups i think so i was planning to get him to do it ill try to get a better picture of the under body when it gets warmer over here in chicago its to cold to do anything i got no heater or wat not that i can put in my garage

·
Grumpy Old Man
4,210 Posts
For every bit of rust visible there's 10x hidden from view.

You will NEVER fix that at best you'll slow it down and hide it for a few years then it will come back through your new paint.

·
Registered
170 Posts
yea i dont no how to weld but my friend welds at his work for ups i think so i was planning to get him to do it ill try to get a better picture of the under body when it gets warmer over here in chicago its to cold to do anything i got no heater or wat not that i can put in my garage
Yea man me and you are in the same boat but my car is a lot more rusted than your, maybe I should keep it you give me hope lol

·
Registered
285 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Yea man me and you are in the same boat but my car is a lot more rusted than your, maybe I should keep it you give me hope lol
yea hopefully we will accomplish something i c u live in chicago where in chi do u live

1 - 20 of 26 Posts