Supra Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
C

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is anyone finding rust on any of these cars? In the last year I have seen 4 Supra that are beginning to rust around window moldings on all different windows. Anyone else noticing this pattern?

B

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I've seen several 93-95's rust around the back windshield.

·
Registered
2,705 Posts
yup, i HAD RUST.

1994, White. It seems to be a problem with 93-95 white mkiv's to get rust around the hatch window. I pulled my window and had it the hatch repainted. So far, no rust.

C

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Actually none of the cars that I am talking about are white. I have a red one with rust around the front windshield, a black one that is rusting by the rear quarter windows and a couple of others that rusted around the rear hatch window. Hopefully this isn't a sign of what's to come.

·
Registered
2,705 Posts
CPais said:
Actually none of the cars that I am talking about are white. I have a red one with rust around the front windshield, a black one that is rusting by the rear quarter windows and a couple of others that rusted around the rear hatch window. Hopefully this isn't a sign of what's to come.

wow this is the first time i've heard of rust around other areas besides the rear hatch for white mkiv's. Approximately what are the mileages on these and were they daily drivers?

-Phu

·
JZA70 or go home!!
2,495 Posts
i guess its a problem where you gues live, the weather up there, snow and huricains. good thing ive never seen that happen here in california

·
Registered
1,826 Posts
At least the MKIV white supra owners don't have the leaky passenger side view mirrors after a car wash that black MKIV's go through.

·
GA Rocks!
1,094 Posts
i've seen it happen to white mostly and then red. Jeff watson thinks it is due to white reflecting the heat and not absorbing it like darker color cars therefore evaporating the water instead of clogging the water under the gasket. Good thing to do is take a rag and run it under the seal after every car wash.

Good luck,
Sid

·
Registered
1,163 Posts
ri0tvenom said:
i guess its a problem where you gues live, the weather up there, snow and huricains. good thing ive never seen that happen here in california
dude daly sity is the worst cars get wet every night cause of the fog, then i had my old supra brake down, it rusted hella bad in couple months. i hate nor cals evenings. now i actualy cover the car every night.
ziggy

T

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Climate is a big factor.
Especially here in Finland(North Europe) where I live, roads are salted in winter because of the ice, you don't have guess what it does to paint. Thankfully most of the people don't drive their Supras during winter.

·
Registered
1,421 Posts
Ever seen a 10-20 year old toyota that doesn't have rust? Granted I live in the midwest and most other toyotas are daily drivers, but I have had other toyotas that got cancer. This is why when the first snow flies, my car stays in the garage. I see other people driving theirs year round and just don't understand. If you can afford a Supra you should be able to afford a $800 civic. I can't imagine Supras are any good in the snow either, judging by my experiences getting caught in the rain with mine.

·
Registered
6,785 Posts
I am curious, why would a black supra leak more than a white one? LOL, or was that a joke?

·
Registered
1,425 Posts
It depends on how you wash your car. I never use pressure washers or carwashes.

When you dry the car make sure you open the hatch after the wash. Water will run out when it's fully open. Clean where the hatch closes.ANother problem it the targa top area under the rubbers. Make sure to clean them after a big storm or every time you wash your car. Water will sit under the rubber mouldings and after time it will rust very quickly. Once and a while you can take off the rubber mouldings to see if it's rusting or not.

Remember, the Supra is not an ordinary car. You have to treat it like a baby. Plus it's not a new car. Some of our cars are alost or past 10 years old.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts