Supra Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just inherited a '94 TT with 90k miles. Garage kept its whole life, bone stock. Hasn't ran for a few years. Starting with the fuel system, and the fuel pump hanger is a rusty mess.
I understand this part is no longer available OEM. Do I try and rehab this thing? Or go aftermarket? I have a new fuel pump on hand, but this clearly needs more than that, unfortunately.

Pics... for attention or embarassment, not sure.

Plumbing fixture Tap Lamp Wood Gas
Light Automotive tire Gas Wood Tool

Registered
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I had the same issue. If your car sits with fuel with ethanol this is what will happen. Ethanol will absorb moister out of the air and put it in the fuel and this is what happens. I went with a Radium unit but Powerhouse Racing also makes a nice hanger.
Appreciate it. Besides replacing that and cleaning up the tank, did you have to do anything else?

Registered
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Mine looked just like that when I started restoring my car. My car had also been sitting for a long time. I am going to probably get the PHR hanger and sender setup. I did make an effort to clean it up though. It worked pretty well. I let it sit in Krud Kutter (the must for rust) for several days to remove the rust and then then I used POR-15 fuel tank sealer to protect it. I was missing the hanger already so I鈥檓 just thinking I鈥檒l get the powerhouse setup and call it good.
I definitely recommend dropping the fuel tank out of the car and thoroughly wash it out with water. I had to power wash it and then fill and drain it several time鈥檚 to really get it cleaned out.
Very helpful. I'm somewhere between buying a used (but in much better condition) hanger + PHR sending unit, or going with the PHR/Radium hanger setup.

The rust on my hanger is weird - it flakes off most pieces fairly well, leaving solid metal behind it. It might be salvageable, despite how bad it looks, but it may not be worth the trouble if I can find someone with a good used one (or like I said, go aftermarket).

Re: the tank - totally agree. I plan on dropping it this weekend, flushing it out several times. I read about the Delphi fuel tank cleaning solution, and since it was only $15 I bought it. Will probably give it a flush with that, too. Part of my old fuel sending unit it somewhere down there and the fuel looks brown....

Registered
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Well, i gave evapo rust a shot. First wire brushed it by hand. Here鈥檚 the result. It鈥檚 solid, very impressed. I鈥檓 going to order the PHR sending unit and put a new pump on it and give it a go.

also dropped the tank, cleaned it well, and dried it out. Looks great now. Should be able to fire this thing up for the first time in at least 5 years sometime next weekend.

Automotive tire Hood Bicycle fork Tire Bicycle part

Crankset Electrician Engineering Watch Machine tool

Automotive tire Crankset Bicycle tire Rim Bicycle part

Registered
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Wow, I can't believe how well that cleaned up! I would fish something through the fuel lines to make sure there is nothing stuck in there. Compressed air would also help.

Al
I couldn't believe it, either. Yep, I ran a brush through all lines, jetted water through all of them, and compressed air at the end to dry them out. They're clean!

Registered
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
My Supra was sitting for 19 years when I bought it out of a barn. My fuel pump assembly looked like yours. I cleaned it up, blew it clear, blew the lines clear (fired some brake cleaner through the lines from engine to tank until it ran clear), then cleaned my injectors at home using the clever tire air valve trick. I think if you just replace the pump, strainer and the rubber hose/clamp you'll be fine. New filter. My tank took a couple days of work all by itself to get clean - wow. A half inch of varnish. Good luck with the startup!
Thankfully no varnish found in my tank. It was relatively clean except for the rust debris all over the place - but I did give It a good scrub anyways. Filter already swapped out. Thanks!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts