Supra Forums banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
1,503 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i've heard mixed reactions about whether RX7 rims would fit on the back of a mkiv supra turbo or not?

i was planning to get a pair and use it for drag racing only. any feedbacks or expereince is appreciated! thanks

·
REVTECHRACING.COM
2,675 Posts
i was wondering the same . do they direct fit or gotta grind down the caliper a lil bit? need a direct fit no spacer.and what size et street tire fits best.?

·
Registered
2,239 Posts
I have used them and they fit fine. Very tight clearance from the top side of the caliper to the barrel of the wheel. No probs with the front side of the caliper touching spokes or anything. I have been told there are a different RX7 wheels.
I ran a 245/50/16 drag radial with no problem. I know 26x11.5x16 ET Streets fit without any issues also.

·
Registered
1,503 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Supralative said:
I have used them and they fit fine. Very tight clearance from the top side of the caliper to the barrel of the wheel. No probs with the front side of the caliper touching spokes or anything. I have been told there are a different RX7 wheels.
I ran a 245/50/16 drag radial with no problem. I know 26x11.5x16 ET Streets fit without any issues also.
how did they work out for you? compared to other drag set ups/ if you've had any other set ups? 245 is quite a bit more narrow than the 275's would getting DR on stock rims be better off?

·
Registered
2,239 Posts
At my power level I have to use skinnies up front and ET Streets in the rear.

The plus about the 245/50/16 is the shoulder, but the con is the footprint. 275/40/17 has a wider footprint, but less shoulder. You just have to experiment and see what works best. My bet would be the 275/40/17 route on a stock twin car.

Good luck man.

·
Registered
192 Posts
I use this setup currently, and had no clearance problems, altho it is _very_ close.

However, I have also heard that there were different years that _might_ not clear... I have yet to talk to a person directly that did have this problem, so that may be one of those he said/she said problems that isnt true.

Here's a pic...

·
Registered
192 Posts
sleeknsilver said:
how did they work out for you? compared to other drag set ups/ if you've had any other set ups? 245 is quite a bit more narrow than the 275's would getting DR on stock rims be better off?
BTW, a 315x35x17 Nitto DR will _easily_ fit on a stock rear wheel. The Nitto 315 is about as wide as a BFG 275 DR.

It wont even bulge much at all...

Nitto's "width" ratings are wack.

·
Registered
1,421 Posts
I don't mean to hijack the thread but has anyone actually tried both the 245/50/16 and the 275/40/17 BFGs? If so, which hooked better? As Supralative said, ones wider but one has more sidewall. Also, would the smaller 16" rim make any significant difference in rotating mass?

·
10 Second Club
204 Posts
I used to run the FD RX-7 wheels and had to grind a small amount off each caliper.

Nothing major, but the wheels wouldn't work without a little grinding.

·
Registered
2,239 Posts
VeilsideTT said:
I don't mean to hijack the thread but has anyone actually tried both the 245/50/16 and the 275/40/17 BFGs? If so, which hooked better? As Supralative said, ones wider but one has more sidewall. Also, would the smaller 16" rim make any significant difference in rotating mass?
My view being a radial tire, the sidewall doesnt give enough flex. I would rather go with the wider footprint. I only ran those because my brother uesed them on his FD.

TRDemon....they barely fit. I had one small line where they touched the barrel. Looked like some one took a pencil and turned the wheel....made a perfect line hehe.

·
10 Second Club
204 Posts
Supralative -

The grinding was a little more involved than that.

The FD wheels I used to run would barely turn before I took a little off the calipers.

FD wheels probably vary by year and this is where the variance is coming from.

·
Registered
192 Posts
I know mine didnt rub at all (they are very close, hard to see a gap at all) however, the FD RX7 wheels had a nice layer of dust on the inside, which is still there ;)

There are no signs of 'scuff' on the inner wheel, despite being run down the quarter quite a few times.

·
Toyota MasterTech
936 Posts
drift tt 23 said:
would a stock 300ztt 16" rim fit and clear?
i use 16 x 7.5 nissan 300zx wheels with bfg comp ta 255/50/16's. i am going to be at englishtown on sunday so if your there ill show you how they fit. i had to grind down the top and bottom of the calipers a little bit. wasn't hard at all.

·
REVTECHRACING.COM
2,675 Posts
i just found some rx7 wheels so im gonna put on the 26x11.5x16 et streets on with no tubes for now and ill let u know how it works out

·
Registered
192 Posts
Drift,

When you take the tires to get mounted on the RX7 wheels, make sure they put half a can of COCA-COLA (only coke, not pepsi, not anything else) -- inside the tire. The coke helps the tire seal up when you dont have tubes, and you wont have to air them up all the time.

I have done this and only have to add air when I let too much out.

·
REVTECHRACING.COM
2,675 Posts
coke -cola ??? 1/2 in each tire for how long? just leave it in like it were fix a flat?

·
REVTECHRACING.COM
2,675 Posts
well, ijust fininshed grinding my calipers to fit the 93 rx7 tt 16 inch wheels. and i had to grind more than just a lil in certain spots.i hear some people say u dont have to grind them but mine i sure did. now they are ready for the fit i can go get my 26x11.5x16 m/t streets and see if they rub[my car is lowered 1.2"] .

1 - 20 of 28 Posts