Supra Forums banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Recently I was contacted about retrofitting Honda S2000 projectors into MKIV Supra headlights. I was happy to oblige provided the customer supplied me with a set of projectors. The following are some pictures of the method that I used.

The first thing that was required was to trim the projector down to a usable size. Here is the first one trimmed down next to the second as yet untouched projector.

After pondering a few different possible mounting methods, I decided that the best option would be to use the left hand S2K projector in the right hand Supra headlight and vice versa. The problem of where to add mounting holes to the projectors was solved by drilling through two pre-existing dimples in the projector casting. This makes this easily repeatable as the dimples are easily located. Additionally, I drilled through an existing tapped hole which originally held the metal trim ring in place so that it could pull double duty as a mounting point as well.

To make this work I also had to take some notches out of the projector bowl. 1 o’clock and 5 o’clock in the picture below. Also note the right hand side is a flat edge where it has been trimmed back.

The OEM supra trim ring will be used to frame the S2K projector due to the S2K’s slightly smaller lens diameter allowing it to fill the headlight bezel out nicely.

And one of the S2K trim ring machine screws is replaced with a longer version as seen on the right here:

The three mounting bolts are then used to attach the projector to the mounting bracket, spacing the projector forwards about 12 mm.

Finally:

Please note that the bezel is just sitting in front of the headlight here for the photo hence the projector looks slightly sunken.

As the customer didn’t send me the projector lenses I can’t provide any output shots but perhaps he’ll chime in here when he has them fitted to his car.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Did you use the S2000 AP1 or AP2 projectors? Any custom lens with this retro fit also or OEM S2000's?
To be honest I'm not sure. As I said, I was not sent the lenses and as far as I know that's the only way to differentiate between AP1s and AP2s.

Isaac you are the man!!!
Haha cheers mate. My workbench is cleared and ready for your Q45s! Drop me an email when you're ready to get the ball rolling.

·
JZA80 > JZA70
1,810 Posts
i will, i've been so busy i haven't had a chance it will be very soon! my car will g oback in the body shop for some work so mean while on the downtime i'll send it out to you!

·
1002hp denim blue beast
1,313 Posts
Are the adjustment bubble working like stock up,down,left,right? Great write up, keep up the good work.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Are the adjustment bubble working like stock up,down,left,right? Great write up, keep up the good work.
As this bracket assembly completely replaces the stock internals of the light the bubble is no longer there. That said, all of the adjusters still work as usual so to aim the lights it's just a matter of parking facing a wall and getting them level. I've only worked with J spec lights which don't have the bubble so I'm not sure if it is part of the casting or bolt on. If it's bolt on I'm sure it could be reattached to the new bracket without too much bother.

·
Boost Addict
598 Posts
Any updates? Pictures installed? Isaac, I sent you a PM.

·
JZA80 > JZA70
1,810 Posts
i have some pictures of it installed with Isaac's bracket, i installed one with ap1, and ap2 projectors. The ap2 is slightly different so i had to modify the bracket a bit to work the bowls are slightly bigger but not much but for the most part it is all the same

these are installed with matchbox 2.0 projectors, i will have output shots on both projectors, I am getting custom bent cutoff shields installed soon so the output will be a lot better than the stock output.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts