Supra Forums banner
1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
4,774 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I had the worst day yesterday, i woke up at 830 in the morning, went over everything on my car, tuned her up, checked coolant and everything and at 11 i was on my way to the track to try out my new setup. welp this is what happened 20 min on the highway.....

yea the hole top of my radiator just split in half :scratch: so i didnt even make it out to the track. so i called for a tow truck and they said he would be there no more than an hour, so i figured what the hell this rad is trashed anyways so might as well juss screw it up even more :D in the picture u see i juss blobbed a whole bunch of jb weld on there lol watever, anyways the tow truck didnt show up till 2 hours later, heres more pics!

Any idea why it did that, all i can come up with was there was prolly air in the system, i unno maybe bad radiator!!

·
iSketch Master!
9,044 Posts
Im thinink if there was air in the system the temp gauge would indicate it overheating wouldnt it? Maybe the plastic endtanks just went to shit from being old. That sucks that that happened. You end up having to pay for the tow as well? or you have AAA or something?

Alex

·
Registered
4,774 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
yea my gauge started goin up a little over the half way mark, and i didnt wanna risk it, so i pulled over, and a shit load of smoke came out and everything was wet in there. good thing i noticed though before i f***** my motor

·
1.5JZ Turbo Supra
3,378 Posts
that almost happened to me too, but my rad was shit, it was old tired & needed to be changed.

·
slowly giving up...
1,069 Posts
you SERIOUSLY need to flush your coolant. it looks like someone mixed the toyota red with the green stuff...

-shaeff

·
Registered
4,774 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
thats the first thing i noticed, because usually for the summer, i flush my system out, and put all water in instead of coolant because ive heard alot of people say its better JUST for the summer only. and it looks like i aint listening to noone again unless i might have done something wrong, i dunno but a new rad is coming in, and i will be going to the track this wed!!

·
Premium Member
2,275 Posts
eww plastic radiators = bad news... Good to here you pulled over in time.

·
Now with less BHG...
409 Posts
Toilet Water!

·
This Is Why I'm Hot.....
1,985 Posts
Hello Mad,
Your car reminds me of my old '74 Celica before paint, when I'd molded in the fiberglass front/rear spoilers & rear fender flares, but still took it to OCIR. 1.6 60s & 14.3 ETs shut up those who poked fun at the "ricer." But, my engine bay was solid. I recommend you cover all the bases before trying another go-out. Hell, even with top-of-the-line parts, I still break shi+ when I thrash it at the track.

Take care.

·
Premium Member
4,409 Posts
Zach90Turbo said:
Your mom's brown.

Back on topic, it was probably nothing catastrophic, just an old radiator finally giving up the ghost.

your face is brown, dirtbag.

·
Always playing catch up
1,632 Posts
sorry to hear man, better there then at the track thou, now its time to upgrade!

<l><l>

·
MK3 Owner For Life
1,822 Posts
My coolant is brown also, i need to flush it soon, haha. Its still the same coolant that was in the motor from my 1J swap !!!

·
I heart 80's Toyota's
631 Posts
my stock rad started to split in the exact same spot.. the plastic got brittle and coolant began to seep out... I replaced it promptly with a CSF to aviod what you are going through!!! Its 20 year old plastic exposed to salt , acid rain, and frequent heat cycle's, and high temperature... its just not going to last forever

1 - 20 of 43 Posts