·
Registered
586 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just wanted to know what you guys have your knock setting at for:
idle:
1550:
3550:

Im thinking mine are very high! Especially at idle... it just keeps working its way up. Im a lil paranoid. I saw somewhere that some1 was reading 2 @700 rpms. If thats the case, then I guess my engine is f'd. Lemme know what you guys have.

I was reading that "How to avoid Rod Knock" thread so Im just a lil p'noid.

·
RoastBeefCurtain Commando
6,015 Posts
knock and rod knock are different.
knock is detonation.
I highly doubt you are truly getting detonation at idle.
I get some counts of knock when cruising and more depending on how high of boost i go. I am under the impression it is very sensative because I deff dont have a single sign of detonation. Also my dp is open right next to the motor, so things like that will trigger it

·
Registered
586 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Wow! I guess I just misinformed myself. I was under the impression that when that knock signal/number got too high, that would lead to rod knock. Well I guess I was way off.

Either way, what are your numbers for the knock? In the "setup" portion for knock, at idle mine start at like 17 then the more I drive, it works its way up to 80ish if I drive and stop. Then if I go to the "monitor" portion, it shows a number from 2 to 8 usually for knock. Back in the setup. For the 1550rpm: its 104 & for 3550rpm: its about 140. I'd just like to see some1 else's numbers to know if my numbers are normal or not.

·
6,015 Posts
Mine arent that high. The most I have seen mine just cruising are maybe 20-30ish and those are on like 95 degree days and with my DP dumping right next to my motor. So I am sure that is picked up somewhere. Possibly check your knock sensor wiring out

Theoretically enuff detonation could possibly lead to rod knock by beating the shit out of the internals enuff and frying the rod bearings. I dont think its very likely though. Rod knock is more from oil starvation then anything.

Knock/ Ping is more attributed to detonation

·
Registered
586 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
alright...Just so Im on the right page:

So when you're just cruising around, you are not in the "setup", then "knock set" screen right? You are on the "monitor" screen where you can also watch the Rev, Thr %... etc. Whatever combo. This is the screen Im taking about. http://monkeywrenchracing.com/apexi_safc_ii.html
B/c if thats the screen that you see 20-30ish on, then Im good. Cause like I said I only see ~10. If not then, I'll have to figure out why mine are so high.

Thanx for the help

·
6,015 Posts
yea thats the monitor screen.
The only other screen there is is when you calibrate the knock sensors to the AFC. I dont remember what mine showed up as in there to tell you the truth. But I think they were higher

·
Registered
586 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
O... such a fast response!

With your last statement, I think I was asking the question wrong. That monitor screen is where I get the "8" showing up for knock at. But... Im tryin to find out what numbers u had on the calibration screen. Thanx again

·
6,015 Posts
I dont remember on the calibration screen off hand. I am sure depending on knock sensor condition they might vary from car to car.

Yea all I do all day at work is sit on forums. So I respond quickly.

·
Registered
586 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 · (Edited)
PM-Performance said:
Yea all I do all day at work is sit on forums. So I respond quickly.
LOL... at least you work!!! Im at home! On a job hunt... yeah... right!

I know the calibrations might vary but I just wanted to see if I was in the general area. 10, 20 off may be OK but 100 off might mean something else Im not seeing is wrong. So if at all posible when you get a chance could you let me know what ur's are?!?? No rush...

Sorry for being such a pain. Just tryin to get some peace of mind. :angel:

·
6,015 Posts
I understand completely. I prob wont get to mess with the car until tommorow night at the earliest. Ill let you know though

·
Registered
490 Posts
Mine goes up to 238 at 6500rpm at 17psi on stock turbos. It is around 0 - 4 at idle at around 0 -15 at 3300rpm

·
1JZ BLING!
2,747 Posts
Did you do the dial in procedure? It will ask you to hold the revs at certain RPMs to get it dialed in.

On a dialed in stock twins car, downpipe exhaust and IC, we saw about 100 peak knock.

If I recall the knock at idle was zero unless it was really hot and it would hit 30 at times.

I believe the dial in will see what your knock is under normal conditions and erases that percentage. Then it will just show knock ABOVE normal. That is why our readings are lower then yours.

·
Registered
490 Posts
SlimFastSupra said:
Did you do the dial in procedure? It will ask you to hold the revs at certain RPMs to get it dialed in.

On a dialed in stock twins car, we saw about 100 peak.
errrrr, no??? How is it done?

Cheers,

Fabbz

·
1JZ BLING!
2,747 Posts
I don't have an SAFC in front of me at the moment, but if you run the procedure it will ask you to hold RPM at a couple of points so it can read the knock and adjust itself. After you do this procedure you will notice that the knock does not go so crazy anymore.

But what do I know? I'm one of those dishonest San Diego guys.

·
Registered
586 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 · (Edited)
SlimFastSupra
Yeah... that what Im talking about... the setup procedure for knock. Those are the 3 numbers that Im looking to reference from some1 else. Cause @ idle, mine varies from 30-80... depending on weather. 1550: is 108 & 3550: is 140 I think. Do those seem high?

Fabbz
How to:
1.Go to setup... then to knock set... once that screen is open, you will 6 numbers. 3 of which are knock numbers on the left side and the other 3 are rpm numbers on the right side. the top left number is actually a refelection of the number of knock that the SAFCII is picking up at that very instant with the corresponding rpm to the right of it.
2.At this point, after the engine is running at operating temp., rev and hold the engine rpms to 1550rpm. With the middle number on the left side highlighted, press the center button on the SAFCII. This should then change that number to whatever the top left number was at that instant.
3.Then highlight the bottom left number and repeat the same procedure as 2 but at 3550rpm. Press center button on SAFCII and that should be it!

Damn... its really hard to explain things on here. If it didnt make any sense... sorry! Maybe some1 else can try.

·
6,015 Posts
SlimFastSupra said:
I don't have an SAFC in front of me at the moment, but if you run the procedure it will ask you to hold RPM at a couple of points so it can read the knock and adjust itself. After you do this procedure you will notice that the knock does not go so crazy anymore.

But what do I know? I'm one of those dishonest San Diego guys.
I agree, I assumed you already did this.

·
Registered
586 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
PM-Performance said:
1550 = 40
3550 = 77

I guess all can be different, but mine reads this from when I set it up
Damn... see my sh*t is way high
1550 = 108
3550 = 143

I set this a long, long time ago tho.

Im gonna reset them and see what the numbers are:

New numbers
1550 = 41
3550 = 75

Im a lil relieved now! PM-Performance Thanx for the peace/piece of mind! :bowdown:

1 - 20 of 25 Posts