Supra Forums banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
979 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i have seen a couple people talk about its not good to run a safc on a 1jz....is there goods or bads to a stock ecu with an safc?....

what other fuel computers are good to help with tunning the 1jz...
i have a chipped stock ecu but want to be able to adjust the fuel...
what do ya recommend?
thanks
Jeff

·
Registered
979 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
excellent...glad to hear it....
whats your somplete set up as far as car...mods...ecu ect

·
Poopra King
2,239 Posts
Yeah, and so does Smiley down here in SoFla, and his runs great as well. I'm actually gonna trade my Greddy eManage for an SAFC2.

·
Registered
979 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
coool..so my idea of chipped ecu....safcII....MKIV 550's and 7m resistor should work for my 500 hp goal

·
Poopra King
2,239 Posts
I would say absolutely. Whip MAP will you run, I think the 2J map combined with those MK4 550's would probably be the combo to run.

·
Banned
1,731 Posts
Thats a decent bandaid for 500hp, but if you want reliability you need something that can tune the ignition. SAFC's, Emanage, have been known to cause the ign timing to go nutty retard or advance. Ive seen single 1jz's @ 20psi make 280whp due to crazy ign retard all a sudden from emanages.

Spend a couple hundred more and get a power FC stand alone.

·
Poopra King
2,239 Posts
Does it matter if you're on a stock ecu or a Blitz ecu?

·
Banned
1,731 Posts
Piggy backs modify the signal going to the ecu to fool it into thinking its doing something else, sounds like a bad idea to me.

If your running a blitz ecu, you can sell it for half the cost of a PowerFC.

·
Poopra King
2,239 Posts
Well, the reason I ask is because Smiley's been running a Blitz ecu and a SAFC2 on is 1000+rwhp 1j, and he says it works great and it's very simple. I've used SAFC2's in the past many times (not on a 1J) and they work great and are so easy to tune. Have you ever used one?

·
Poopra King
2,239 Posts
I'll bet that the people with problems with the safc2 didn't set all the perameters correctly and the knock function may have caused the timing problems you spoke of.

·
RoastBeefCurtain Commando
6,015 Posts
I made over 500whp and tq pretty easily on 550's, stock map and an SAFC2
I will deff agree that a standalone or something with timing control will make an ENORMOUS difference. But this will work just fine and deff not a bandaid at all.

·
Poopra King
2,239 Posts
^^^Thanks, that's what I thought. And correct me if I'm wrong, but doesn't the Blitz ecu have timing changes as well?

·
Registered
353 Posts
I know the safc 1 would mess with timing pretty bad, but i heard the safc2 does not why i couldnt tell you, i havent researched on it. I guess because of it being newer an improved

·
Registered
979 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
i have a vpc afc on my sc300 and its been reliable for years...never considered it a bandaid....then went to a haltech and ran into all kinds of issues....took years to iron out completly....
theres nothing more reliable than a stock ecu.....if a stock ecu and safc2 can get me to my goals ill be happy...im gonna run the stock map for now...if i see a need to change i will.....
as for stand alone...yeah im a lil gun shy with it...if i did stand alone i would go AEM
but thats just me....my opinons....and my experience....
been driving a boosted 2j now for 7 years....

·
Local Tire Destroyer
1,008 Posts
Blitz ECU does have increased timing advance.
A local ROM tuner dialed that back out and burnt it onto a new chip that we threw back in the socket
Saves detonation on pump gas T4 SAFC 1JZ
I'd say keep it simple till you want to exceed 400-500 whp
Save your money for gas.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts