Supra Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
L

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I went to the dyno yesterday and tried to tune my SAFC. Well it would not tune it for nothing. I have the TH POINT set at 94/95 per the mkiv.com article. Then some one said set it at 50/76, that didn't work. At 6000rpms I was at 11:1 A/F, 6500 10:1 AF, 6900 9:1 A/F. Just got richer and richer. The best run I did was a lackluster 379.8 rwhp/386 torque. At 19psi straight BPU since the SAFC was doing nothing. Any advice?

L

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
No race fuel that was on 93 octane Exxon :) A buddy of mine is BPU++++ and put down 426/451 on pump gas so I'm trying to get close to his numbers real soon on pump gas. No the SAFC would not take away any fuel. My TH POINT was originally set at 94/95 per the MKIV article and I rechecked all my settings and they are per the MKIV.COM specs, the SAFC would not adjust fuel at all. Should I try another TH POINT setting? I guess I can't complain too much for being straight BPU, being that the SAFC was untunable. But any help is greatly appreciated I know I could have hit higher with tuning the SAFC.

·
GA Rocks!
1,094 Posts
I would have to see that dyno sheet with a/f. I would have to say he must have been running lean. I have NEVER ever seen a dyno sheet on stock twins running bpu+++ put down above 400 rwhp on pump gas. I almost broke it when i was stock twins... I put down 398 rwhp on 17 psi. My friend put down 385 rwhp on pump gas.

You have to remember, detonation and timing retard is the killer. 385 rwhp on pump gas without the fuel controller is not too shabby. Fuel controller properly tuned would give u 15 rwhp across the power band.

Good Luck,
Sid

·
NGAPINO
257 Posts
You have to remember, detonation and timing retard is the killer. 385 rwhp on pump gas without the fuel controller is not too shabby. Fuel controller properly tuned would give u 15 rwhp across the power band.

Oh I know! I did a ton of pulls to get those numbers my boost was spiking to 24psi on the dyno and hit timing retards BAAAAD. My horsepower dropped at one point to 342 I think and torque FELL off to 310, it was ugly! I then reset the ECU and I finally got the boost set right it would hit 19psi and fall to 18psi and thats how I got those 380/386 numbers. Did like 5 runs and got about the same numbers. Well I'll be back next month with a FMIC and cam gears so I'm sure I'll break the 400rwhp mark. I just need to get this SAFC problem resolved. Probably just a bad connection.

·
Moderator, Boost Addict
2,597 Posts
sidwin said:
I would have to see that dyno sheet with a/f. I would have to say he must have been running lean. I have NEVER ever seen a dyno sheet on stock twins running bpu+++ put down above 400 rwhp on pump gas. I almost broke it when i was stock twins... I put down 398 rwhp on 17 psi. My friend put down 385 rwhp on pump gas.

Good Luck,
Sid
426RWHP 93octane PUMP!

Adam

·
NGAPINO
257 Posts
more ?s

I was able to lean my car out at idle. I would assume that would me that the SAFC is hooked up correctly. Anyone have any idea why it would not lean out on the dyno at WOT?

·
GA Rocks!
1,094 Posts
426rwhp... what was your rwhp at redline? ~39x? I would like to see that dyno sheet with an a/f. When I said 400 rwhp.. I meant safely on pump gas. No pun or flame intended. I have seen mid 400 that ran a god awful a/f 13:1. I am not saying it is impossible. I think it is if u had the following:
fmic
cam gear
lighten flywheel
dp
exhaust,
intake
20 psi boost on pump gas
fuel controller will be extra and put u about 41X safely.

Sid

·
Registered
1,022 Posts
I think its possible. I put down 380 SAE straight BPU with a 1/8" vacuum hose leaking boost off the throttle body. This was with my fields SFC zeroed out, on a 97 that means its rich. It ran 114.9 trap is this form, spare tire, pump gas, etc. Did have a lightweight flywheel though.

Oddly enough car didn't seem to get any faster with the addition of a FMIC or cam gear ajustments, so I never bothered dynoing again.

I usually ran with -2 @ 5k, -3 @ 6k and -4 @ 7k on my SFC, with was still pretty rich (670 EGTs @ the top of 5th). Those settings gained me about 1.5 to 2.5 mph traps, so its concivable than > 400 is possible.

·
Moderator, Boost Addict
2,597 Posts
sidwin said:
426rwhp... what was your rwhp at redline? ~39x? I would like to see that dyno sheet with an a/f. When I said 400 rwhp.. I meant safely on pump gas. No pun or flame intended. I have seen mid 400 that ran a god awful a/f 13:1. I am not saying it is impossible. I think it is if u had the following:
fmic
cam gear
lighten flywheel
dp
exhaust,
intake
20 psi boost on pump gas

Sid
I have all that but the LW flywheel. My AF was 11.5:1. I can scan a graph if you demand. I don't know if it was near that at redline or not. EDIT just looked, and it does fall below 400RWHP by redline. I refuse to run 13:1 ever! Can't wait to be single and be able to hold onto the power!

Adam

·
GA Rocks!
1,094 Posts
fmic
cam gear
lighten flywheel
dp
exhaust,
intake
20 psi boost on pump gas

Sid

·
Moderator, Boost Addict
2,597 Posts
read above!

·
GA Rocks!
1,094 Posts
I agree 400 is doable. What i am talking about is people who think they can go with pump gas and hit is 430 all day. Lighten flywheel with bpu with FMIC and cam gears will put you about ~420 ish... and even to hit that you have to be boosting pretty up there 19+.. I did 398 with FMIC and cam gear with 17 psi. I think I would have done 410 with a flywheel and 425 with fuel controller. But with that kind of power is only for a very short period. The more important thing is the trap speed or the average rwhp. That is why I asked what the rwhp was a redline. I haven't seen a dyno sheet that was above high 390 or low 40X on stock twins at redline. You'll make the 42X at 4500 but that will last about 1.5k rpm then start to dip down. Even Andi's 472 rwhp run... he is about 400 at redline.

Angel and i were talking about this over dinner and he said that is why even a small single will beat a bpu car. small singles power curve don't stop at redline and would benefit having a raised rev limiter to take advantage of the powercurve. www.sidwin.com/supra you can see plenty pics of my dyno's. small singles are still climbing at redline.

Thanks,
Sid

PS i don't know why my post showed up twice.

·
Moderator, Boost Addict
2,597 Posts
I agree totally. I will hopefully be making the change to a small single over summer time. If that isn't enough to satisfy, I'll be trying to squeeze the biggest thing I can get under the hood in there. It is definately peak power only on the twins, as they are really their own bottleneck. Time to work harder, single turbo here I come!

Adam

·
Registered
882 Posts
Hey guys...

Hello all, I am the one that 94SupraTT (the guy that needs help fixing his SAFC) was talking about. I did indeed put down the numbers he stated, but I am far from BPU. Lets say I am BPU++++++++++++++++....lol....When I made those numbers, I was running 93 Octane, BUT I was boosting approx 22PSI although it would not hold it for shit...lol...by the end of the pull, it had fallen to approx 15-16psi. Here is the dyno plot:

Unfortunately, there is no fuel curve on there, but it was like a roller coaster, because my GCC was not doing anything either. It wouldn't do squat, no matter how much I played with it. There fore, it was removed. The plot you see is just with the VPC (as far as electronics go). No other tuning. The car is now for sale, however, on ebay. Feel free to check it out. It lists all the mods, except I forgot to put the HKS EVC-EZ in the list. Take it easy guys!! Peace!!

Check it out at:
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=1811311670

·
Registered
882 Posts
Oh and...

Yes the fuel curve did go up to 13:1 at one point. it started at about 10:1 around 3K and went up to about 13:1 at about 5K and then back down to 12:1 at redline??? Take it easy!

·
GA Rocks!
1,094 Posts
Thanks for posting your dyno sheet. Look at the amount of timing retard you are getting at the end. you dyno sheet is another proof that 400 rwhp is obtainable but look at your a/f. I would never run my car at 13:1 if u make 13:1 on a dynojet, what do u think your car sees when you are on the street running a full load? Trust me, higher than that ;)

Sid

·
Registered
882 Posts
No problem...

Yeah, I know the A/F is pretty lean, but I could not get it to control with the GCC, so I said forget it. I just thought I would go single and get a better fuel system to cure my lean problems. But it doesnt matter now because it is being sold. Take it easy man. Peace!!

1 - 20 of 20 Posts