Supra Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
223 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have recently come apon a new in the box SAFC extremely cheaply. Then my brother purchased an AEM stand alone for his MR2. Would I be better off buying a VPC and installing the SAFC and the VPC or reselling the SAFC and saving up for a stand alone? Do I really need a stand alone? Are they a better set up? Does anyone make a plug and play stand alone for the mkIII?

·
Registered
288 Posts
What mods do you have?

Do they warrant a stand alone?
or even a VPC?

Not knowing your mods, I can tell you the safc is a handy tool to have if you have basic upgardes.

G

·
Technically it is a better setup, but it costs a lot of money. If you want a super powerful car that is reliable and all that and you have a ton of money go with a standalone. But if you want like 500 hp or something you could do it with a lex, fuel, exhuast, and an safc.

·
Registered
223 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I have 550cc inj., lex afm, afpr, full exhaust, k&n fipk. I plan on buying an IC and a t3/t4 turbo this summer. My goal for horse power is in the 500 to 600 horsepower range. The only catch is that this car is my daily driver and I need as much reliability as possible. With this added info, will I be alright with an SAFC? Will I need any other piggy backs?

G

·
You won't make 600hp, or even 500hp with a t3/t4. Plus, once you get into that power range, your going to need a built motor or else it won't last.

·
Registered
223 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I was looking at Supra Sport's stage V ball bearing turbo--I guess it is not a t3/t4. I do however have a built motor--forged pistons and rods it is bored 20 over. The head has been rebuilt but I have not gotten it 3 angled or ported and polished yet. I also have a direct port nitrous system that I am waiting to install until way down the line.

3,796 Posts
An AFC and your lex should work for low 500rwhp w/ no N2O. You'll probably need the vpc or standalone above that. A standalone will net you more power and drivability if tuned right but you need a lot of time on a dyno and you need to know how to tune or be sure whoever tunes it knows what the hell he is doing.

·
no more supras
2,175 Posts
the SS stg V will give you about 420-450rwhp, according to dynos so far from it. not sure about the BB. for that, an SAFC is fine.

if you have huge future potentials, i still say give the SAFC a try for now, as the intermediate process of spending 300 for a SAFC2 is much less than the 4 digit figures of a standalone. in the meantime, you can still enjoy a good amount of power gain just by tuning w/ the SAFC2, and as you uh... regain some funds back then consider switching to standalone. plus you can also sell the SAFC2 back for money for the standalone, so it offsets some costs.

·
Premium Member
6,130 Posts
Why not just go Emanage? and forget the SAFC? the Emanage is close to being a poormans Standalone IMHO... aight peace

·
Registered
45 Posts
Personally i would save up and go with the stand alone, which is wht i am doing right now while the car is down. I prefer Simple Digital Systems' EM4 6F. It controls everything, but on the downside, it is a little over 1400. I just want full control over what goes on under the engine bay, so that is why i am going with it. My power goals are also 500-600 rwhp, so i am going stand alone. just my .02

1 - 12 of 12 Posts