Supra Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i have an 89 Turbo with a full 80mm turbo back no cats, intake, walbro, fluidyne rad. i am soon adding a greddy BOV, EBC and maybe a AFC.

i have a STOCK HG with ARP headbolts (soon).....i know what your thinking, dont ask.

3 questions.

1) i havent yet added the headbolts. i am doing that before anything else. what should they be torqued to on a STOCK HG?

2) after 1000 miles or so, do they need to be re-torqued?

3) what is a SAFE boost level to set my EBC to? is 11 or 12 pounds of boost pushing it with a stock HG? where should i set it to be safe?

·
Just say no to Supras
2,292 Posts
If you are going to swap to ARP bolts, you are going to have to replace the HG anyway. You should consiter a MHG while its apart. But to your questions...

72 ft/lbs is good for the stock HG. On a new redesgined head gasket, you should have no problems with 11-12psi. A friend of mine has been running 14.5psi for over a year with one. Not sure about the retorque, I never did (on my MHG) and Ive never had any problems with it.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
i was told that swapping the head bolts has nothing to do with replacing the HG. i was told its a 2-3 hour deal. you dont remove the head to get to the bolts. the HG is 6 months old. 2300 miles on it.

·
Just say no to Supras
2,292 Posts
You mean by removing them one at a time? That would probably work fine, but I wouldnt personally do it (im too paranoid lol). If I were you, I would just tighten the stock ones to 72 and leave it at that.

3,796 Posts
You will hit fuel cut before you boost beyond the capabilities of your current setup. If your headgasket was just replaced and you dont plan on serious modding, then just retorque the stockers to 72ft lbs.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts