Supra Forums banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
1,340 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
well i got about 25 miles on my new engine. everything seems to run great. the car fires right up, 650 idle, 10deg. BTDC timing, and no leaks. this was a full rebuild with all the goodies. all maintence and wear items are brand new toyota. i want to head down to flordia which is about 900 miles from me. i already changed the oil once and i was going to change it again at 500 miles.

what do you all think?

·
Republican
8,421 Posts
NO

·
1.5JZ Turbo Supra
3,378 Posts
I'm not sure. But i bet you can. You have to change the speed alot tho. 45 to 75 back and forth you can't keep it at one speed for long. Changing the oil at 500 and when you get there is something u should do. not sure tho! no flamin.

·
Registered
3,123 Posts
Highway driving is not recomended on a fresh engine. You want to always be varying the rpm's to be sure the rings seat correctly. And I believe you want to be changing the oil before 500 miles, and then a few more times after that before the 1500mile mark.

·
No One Ever Listens To Me
5,467 Posts
oh thats all bullshit

you can drive for long periods of time as long as you vary RPM and engine load...

anyone who says otherwise doesnt know shit... IMO

i did my engine drove to atlanta and back to break it in... no problems..

dont hold constant speed or rpm as to not create ring ridges and youll be fine...

·
Republican
8,421 Posts
the reason is....

1. Your suposed to vary your engine speed ALLOT while breaking it in
2. if something goes wrong your fucked

·
Madd Tyte JDM yo ®
7,014 Posts
well, there is AAA for these reasons...

if you have confidence in your build and know that you did EVERYTHING to spec or better than spec, there is no reason why this motor would not be as reliable as the day it rolled off the Assembly line. thats the way i see it. if something was put together wrong and going to come apart or break, it would do it in the first few hundred miles... like Gregs/Adjusters stroker motor had a flawed crank and it showed up right away... its not something thats going to get you around for a few thousands miles before showing up... youll know ASAP.

just try to take the car out as much as possible and do alot of runs with it... not necessarily bouncing off the rev limiter and barking the tires... just full boost pulles to like 5000rpms and lazily shifting... or even engine braking. engine braking is the MOST beneficial way to seat the rings.. you get all the friction to create a mating surface without any of the heat of combustion burning off the oils or fuel washing the oils off the walls and rings.

·
Search
3,305 Posts
That's why I'd say no, What if something broke? You'd be 900 Miles from home, or even worse 450 from home or where you're tryin to go... should wait a couple hundred, or a thousand

·
Madd Tyte JDM yo ®
7,014 Posts
a freak accident isnt going to be preventable at any distance.

i was driving my old gf's AWD talon from florida to ohio for a HUGE DSM meet (think DSM version of SILV and TX put together). i made it 38 miles into Georgia and the #2 connecting rod decided to separate right at the big end... now, boys and girls, dont try this at home

N

·
0 Posts
malloynx said:
yea, i'm going to drive around some more before i make my descision.

on a side note i failed the sniffer by the samllest of margains.. i need to get this thing to pass
did you try taking it to a garage and not a state place?

·
Registered
1,340 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
in the state of delaware you must go to the DMV. it the only place.. here is the kicker. i passed nox, co and part of the HC. i fail the idle part of HC. i passed everything else with flying colors. i was also told my gauge pod was ilegal. i'm going to go back this week and try again

·
"DANNY TANNER!!!"
1,847 Posts
damn.....our motors aren't made out of glass fuck. I drove mine from toronto back to ottawa, 500km on a fresh rebuild.

·
Dr. Jeff Lange
9,347 Posts
I wouldn't worry too much about it, if you have to, but if it was up to me, I'd just break it in first to be safe, I pretty much always do things just to be safe.... but that's me

·
Madd Tyte JDM yo ®
7,014 Posts
well, you can try to lean the SHIT out of the motor at idle rpm with an SAFC. that would DEFINITLY let you pass.

im glad you did that well on your emissions considering... you know, you dont have ANY of that shit left and running upgraded fuel system!

·
***ified?
1,087 Posts
I debated the same thing a little while ago

Shortly after the rebuild, I drove the car and logged about 1k on it, tuned it at the dyno, and decided to go on a road trip.

I drove from Spokane to Idaho Falls, ID (550mi) - Idaho Falls to Boise ID (300mi) - Boise to Salt Lake city UT (300mi) - SLC to Idaho Falls (250mi). Everything was GREAT. Engine ran GREAT. And then it SHIT on me while I was driving in the city. I dont know why. Rod knock at its finest.

I havent had a chance to get my car back to spokane and check the internals because of the wintertime road conditions. (Plus im deployed right now.

malloy - check your PM

·
Registered
2,737 Posts
Good points Tony Mawad.

There should be no worries in taking the car on a long trip as long as the engine was built right. Just vary your speeds as much as you can.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts