Supra Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,

I'm in the middle of building my 240sx swapped GTE VVTi. Motor is going to be completely stock unopened and using stock IM. I'm having my T4 divided twin 38mm gate manifold made now and will be running a Gen1 GTX3582R with a T4 divided 1.06 housing.

Been doing a lot of reading and people are nervous about turbos like 6466 making too much torque down low for the stock rods. Should I worry on my setup? I was planning on having the tuner use the VVTi to spool the turbo as fast as possible on E85. Kill mode being 2 bars of boost. This is through a 6 speed manual.

Appreciate the thoughts.

·
Administrator
8,334 Posts
Vvti..check
2 bar... check.
Adding timing...check
Fast spooling turbo...check

Will be fun for a bit...yes.

·
handy with the steel
346 Posts
Been doing a lot of reading and people are nervous about turbos like 6466 making too much torque down low for the stock rods. Should I worry on my setup?
Depends on how you tune it. If you ramp in the boost and go easy on the timing...

I was planning on having the tuner use the VVTi to spool the turbo as fast as possible on E85.

...nevermind. 🤣

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I’ve read there’s a general rule of thumb to go by for torque on TT Rosa but can’t remember. Something like keep torque below 400ftlbs before a certain rpm and the rods will stay happy?

·
Game Over
1,199 Posts
I’ve read there’s a general rule of thumb to go by for torque on TT Rosa but can’t remember. Something like keep torque below 400ftlbs before a certain rpm and the rods will stay happy?
I've made 500 ft/lbs at 4k on stock rods on my old setup, no problem. Similar turbo as yours, but with T4 open scroll 0.82 A/R. Non vvt-i

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I've made 500 ft/lbs at 4k on stock rods on my old setup, no problem. Similar turbo as yours, but with T4 open scroll 0.82 A/R. Non vvt-i
Damn that sounds like a lot. I just sorta worry because the shop tuning my car on the Fuel Tech mainly does built drag cars so I need the tuner to be nice to my stock rods.

·
Game Over
1,199 Posts
Damn that sounds like a lot. I just sorta worry because the shop tuning my car on the Fuel Tech mainly does built drag cars so I need the tuner to be nice to my stock rods.
I think most of the rod bending kind of TQ we've been seeing on Precision 62/6466's on full kill on E85 were closer to 700 ft/lbs of torque give or take. Stock bottom end record was more TQ, but that peak TQ is happening later with HUGE turbos.

I think you can have it come on early, but I'd just watch out for what kind of peak TQ it is putting out with VVT-i. FWIW, I was hitting peak boost of 22 psi at 3,500 rpms on E85. Peak TQ was only 555ft/lb.

·
Registered
911 Posts
I love early torque, the sooner the better, so you can control output by a throttle amount other than "all of it" like some turbo setups. It's great for controlling a car for a specific purpose. Speaking of which...

What are you doing with the car? A 240sx is a LOT lighter than a Supra tends to be. I'm not as familiar with the S chassis cars as I am with Supras, but how much grip do you have available? If it's "not a lot and that's ok to blow the tires off" then perhaps the rods won't be an issue. I mean, something always has a weak point, and torque is a good way to find it. If the tires blow away at 400 ft-lbs, then how much stress are you really putting the bottom end under?

That said, should be a wild ride! I had a similar turbo on a 1j in a Mk3, and when it finally hit, hang on!!! I can only imagine the extra displacement and vvti...

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I love early torque, the sooner the better, so you can control output by a throttle amount other than "all of it" like some turbo setups. It's great for controlling a car for a specific purpose. Speaking of which...

What are you doing with the car? A 240sx is a LOT lighter than a Supra tends to be. I'm not as familiar with the S chassis cars as I am with Supras, but how much grip do you have available? If it's "not a lot and that's ok to blow the tires off" then perhaps the rods won't be an issue. I mean, something always has a weak point, and torque is a good way to find it. If the tires blow away at 400 ft-lbs, then how much stress are you really putting the bottom end under?

That said, should be a wild ride! I had a similar turbo on a 1j in a Mk3, and when it finally hit, hang on!!! I can only imagine the extra displacement and vvti...
This is going to be my 6 speed highway queen. Don't plan on doing too much drag racing launches as I want to be nice to my new-in-box CD009 tranny but might catch the bug. Going to be running 15x9 beadlocks in the rear with Mickey ET Streets. Stock S14 240 SS is in the 2800lbs range I'd imagine 2jz single turbo swapped would be in the 3000-3100 range. I plan to weight it when I'm done. The fastest car I've ever driven was my old bolt on untuned LS3 auto vette so I'm ready to get my mind blown lol.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Hello,

I'm in the middle of building my 240sx swapped GTE VVTi. Motor is going to be completely stock unopened and using stock IM. I'm having my T4 divided twin 38mm gate manifold made now and will be running a Gen1 GTX3582R with a T4 divided 1.06 housing.

Been doing a lot of reading and people are nervous about turbos like 6466 making too much torque down low for the stock rods. Should I worry on my setup? I was planning on having the tuner use the VVTi to spool the turbo as fast as possible on E85. Kill mode being 2 bars of boost. This is through a 6 speed manual auto clicker word unscrambler jumble solver .

Appreciate the thoughts.
Depends on how you tune it. If you ramp in the boost and go easy on the timing...

·
Registered
911 Posts
This is going to be my 6 speed highway queen. Don't plan on doing too much drag racing launches as I want to be nice to my new-in-box CD009 tranny but might catch the bug. Going to be running 15x9 beadlocks in the rear with Mickey ET Streets. Stock S14 240 SS is in the 2800lbs range I'd imagine 2jz single turbo swapped would be in the 3000-3100 range. I plan to weight it when I'm done. The fastest car I've ever driven was my old bolt on untuned LS3 auto vette so I'm ready to get my mind blown lol.
Would be curious to see where you end up on the weight. I'd say for highway use you'll likely be ok, but it's your car. I beat on mine pretty mercilessly, but my rods are nearly as wide as they are long (above the journal) haha. I think it'd take a hydraulic press to break 1j rods. Or just some sort of catastrophic FOD or massive fuel system failure.

Word of caution though? Make sure your suspension and alignment are sorted for what you're doing. S-chassis cars like to go sideways even when you don't. I personally made a 95 about two feet shorter than Nissan did... and while I'm not proud of it, it's amusing to note that I hit the same wall with BOTH ends of the car.

·
Super Moderator
9,923 Posts
Hi guys!

2.0 bar on E85 without any mitigation with that setup will be risky for the rods. I think the stock VVTi cams will limit you HP wise but I'd bet that combo would go mid-high 600's easy. A set of GSC's would put you into the 700whp range, I'm almost certain. Surprisingly, not a lot of GTX35's on 2JZ's for some reason.

As others have said it's not the peak HP, it's the tq between 3 and 4500ish that really murders the stock rods on small turbo, high boost, big torque E85 cars.

Easiest way to mitigate the problem though is to run the boost control through your ECU, and have it ramp boost up from ~16psi to 2 bar starting at 4500rpm or so, which keeps the suddenly ALL THE FUCKING BOOST hitting those rods at ~3500rpm. The problem is similar to big HP nitrous cars, which is why they tend to run RPM based window switches and progressive nitrous for big setups.
So keeping the boost limited to 16-18psi below 4500rpm and ramping in more boost progressively until 5200 or so should help keep it all together.

Typically, rod death on stock 2JZ's is around 650wtq. Your larger 1.06 housing (good choice) will mitigate that issue somewhat and help your top end too. Should be a fun combo and make decent HP out to ~7k or so on the stock cams. I'd seriously consider a set of GSC's or similar cams along with a basic spring/retainer upgrade for the top end especially if you're top-end racing.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Hi guys!

2.0 bar on E85 without any mitigation with that setup will be risky for the rods. I think the stock VVTi cams will limit you HP wise but I'd bet that combo would go mid-high 600's easy. A set of GSC's would put you into the 700whp range, I'm almost certain. Surprisingly, not a lot of GTX35's on 2JZ's for some reason.

As others have said it's not the peak HP, it's the tq between 3 and 4500ish that really murders the stock rods on small turbo, high boost, big torque E85 cars.

Easiest way to mitigate the problem though is to run the boost control through your ECU, and have it ramp boost up from ~16psi to 2 bar starting at 4500rpm or so, which keeps the suddenly ALL THE FUCKING BOOST hitting those rods at ~3500rpm. The problem is similar to big HP nitrous cars, which is why they tend to run RPM based window switches and progressive nitrous for big setups.
So keeping the boost limited to 16-18psi below 4500rpm and ramping in more boost progressively until 5200 or so should help keep it all together.

Typically, rod death on stock 2JZ's is around 650wtq. Your larger 1.06 housing (good choice) will mitigate that issue somewhat and help your top end too. Should be a fun combo and make decent HP out to ~7k or so on the stock cams. I'd seriously consider a set of GSC's or similar cams along with a basic spring/retainer upgrade for the top end especially if you're top-end racing.
Hey man thanks for the reply! This was exactly the type of info I was looking for. Trust me I really want some GSC S1 VVTi cams but I'm already deep in cash for this build so I'd rather get that later on as an upgrade.
Hi guys!

Hey man thanks for the reply exactly what I was looking for. My turbo has a modified compressor wheel rated to 78lbs of air a minute so with stock cams and E85 I'm confident it will make around mid 600WHP. I'd love to throw some GSC VVTi S1 cams at it but I'm the type of guy to while I'm there go shimless buckets and get expensive springs/retainers. I'd rather use that as an upgrade in the future. I'm sure that would get me past 700WHP. I'll make sure to voice my concerns to the tuner about ramping in the boost to keep the rods safe between 3500 to 5200 rpm at WOT. Will update when my car is up and running in the next few months.

·
Registered
911 Posts
Hi guys!

Surprisingly, not a lot of GTX35's on 2JZ's for some reason.
Hey Jeff! You know how I feel about those new G-series turbos... G30 for a 2j would be such a fun setup. At some point this century Garrett should have the G35's out there, that'll be interesting to see how 2jz's respond to them. I suspect you'll see double or more the output of stock twins at the cost of maybe 500 rpm down low...

...but you probably don't want that all in on stock rods haha. On that note though, do you think it's the "hit" that is what damages the rods? Perhaps it's not the small turbo itself, but rather the transition of "no torque to ALL the torque" that some turbos hit you with? I mean, fun as it is, it's not great for car control since the tires usually are the first thing to let go in situations like that.

Maybe I'm overthinking it. My G25 is just on pretty much all the time after about 10mph. I'd think the rods of a 2j would be fine with an always-on turbo like mine, but producing a lot of power all through the rev range, due to the lack of torque "shock" if that make sense.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts