Supra Forums banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Hardtopper
13,043 Posts
The lower portion is not what needs to be drilled... you should keep the return above the oil level not under.... you want the oil to leave the turbo as fast as it comes in.

When I drill the spot that is MADE for a turbo return using a hole-saw, I put grease on the bit to catch metal shavings.... I drill for a couple of seconds then clean the bit off and apply more grease, keep repeating until you go all the way through... the more time you take the safer it will be.

·
Registered
407 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
i understand, the upper oil pan needs to be drilled, but removing the lower oil pan would be safer , correct? is it difficult?

·
Hardtopper
13,043 Posts
SUPRAMKIV510 said:
i understand, the upper oil pan needs to be drilled, but removing the lower oil pan would be safer , correct? is it difficult?
your way is safer to drill the hole maybe....but your turbo wont like it :)
Drilling the upper only takes about 30 minutes if you take your time

·
Registered
407 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
i guess ur right, removing the pan isnt neccessary. from what i know i need to use a drill bit saw? any preferable brand . drill bit size? 90degree.
shop vac , and grease is good enough to get the debris out right?

·
turbo lexus pile
488 Posts
im drilling mine right now but i see no reason to use a hole saw. i dont want to make a "coin" that could fall into the pan like with dejacky's car. Plus a regular bit drill fits much easier tahn a 90 deg. with a hole saw attachment. do you guys move the two lines in fron of the TT return hole or just leave them inplace? it looks liek the drill will fit fine without moving them.

·
Hardtopper
13,043 Posts
I used a 7/8" hole saw, perfect size.... creates less amoun of shredded metal and the "coin" was stuck inside the bit because of the grease I applied.

I drill for about 10 seconds and pull it out and clean out the bit/grease and add more grease to the bit and drill again for another 10 seconds, etc....repeating this over and over until you go all the way through.

·
Registered
1,192 Posts
eblick99 said:
im drilling mine right now but i see no reason to use a hole saw. i dont want to make a "coin" that could fall into the pan like with dejacky's car.
The "coin" won't land inside the oil pan if the pilot drill bit extends past the teeth of the hole saw. Instead, it will stay on the drill bit and embed itself in the hole saw. :)

I've done 4 oil return fittings without any problems; this method works and only takes about 10 minutes to complete.

-scott

·
turbo lexus pile
488 Posts
would you say its a bad idea to use a regular bit? im using 1/2 NPT return fitting, actual size is like 3/4". so i dunno why they call it 1/2". but the tap was easy to find, 1/2-14 npt tap, but the drill bit i need is 23/32". thats a $30 special order bit, at least form all the machine shops around here. im going to the place where i got the fitting today to see if they have or rent the proper bit.

·
Registered
1,192 Posts
eblick99 said:
...but the drill bit i need is 23/32". thats a $30 special order bit, at least form all the machine shops around here.
You can spend $30 on an exotic bit, but I just used a hole saw from Home Depot or Loews. See pic in this thread: http://www.supraforums.com/forum/showthread.php?t=362470

I'm sure it's under $10; maybe less than $5. Works great...

-scott

·
turbo lexus pile
488 Posts
nah its expensive cuz its an odd size i need to use that 3/4" return fitting. wouldnt matter if i used a hole saw, itd still have to be 23/32. i doubt they make hole saws in that size.

·
TACO!
682 Posts
Rebirth of an old thread......I have a 2JZGE upper oil pan, I need to drill for a return line to mount on a 2JZGTE block. Can some one post a picture or a diagram of were and what size hole to drill?
Thanks,
Nomo

·
Registered
1,426 Posts
If im following you correctly, your trying to drill and tap for the turbo return, correct? I used my NA pans on my GTE engines in past swap. Its pretty easy. I used a drill press to make a 1 inch hole then used a dremel to smoothen things out. For the bolts, i just used a MP 8x1.25 tap. Iv had no problems or leaks or anything, do it but go easy on the tap though, the upper pan is made of soft aluminum and you can easily fuck things up. Oh and make sure you meticulously clean the pans afterwards, you DO NOT want metal shaving anywhere inside the engine. Best of luck.

EDIT: Holy crap, i just contributed to a thread that is 4 years old. Oh wellz...ill just leave this info up here for the newbs.

·
TACO!
682 Posts
Thank you. Do you have pictures of the location, for the tap?

·
Registered
1,426 Posts
Thank you. Do you have pictures of the location, for the tap?
No i dont have pictures since the pans/motor are/is already on the car. but if you look on the turbo side of the pan, you will see provisions already made into the oil pan. Just find it, you cant miss it, and drill away.

·
TACO!
682 Posts
I saw that. I just wasn't sure. My supra is at a shop, so I couldn't compare. Thanks again.

·
Time for change
6,868 Posts
Some pans are aluminized steel, can anyone verify if the upper pan is all aluminum or somewhat magnetic?

On an old oil pan on a different vehicle I put a strong rectangular magnet right underneath where I was drilling. Once I was finished i slid the magnet up and the debris stuck to the magnet as I pulled it out.

Changed the oil obviously and only found one minor fleck in the oil.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts