Supra Forums banner

1 - 20 of 69 Posts

·
Registered
945 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I thought it would be fun to modify this post to show the before and after of my car!

Day 1 of ownership, here is the before of my car, as you look through my thread you will see this is the "good side" lol

Day 450 of ownership(took me 375 days to get it to this point), here is the after of my car, after a complete restoration, could not be more pleased:

A little backstory (feel free to skip if you just want to read about the car) I hope you like pictures because I took a shitload of them!!

For as long as I can remember the one car I have always wanted has of course been a MKIV Toyota Supra. I am sure that is rare here as not many people have that same dream….I mean come on WTF would you want to own a MKIV Supra for?? I have been in the 4x4 world for a long time living in Colorado and I have done plenty of work on my 4th gen 4Runner and absolutely love it to death. However, I reached a point where I felt I’d maxed out everything I could do to it as my daily driver, so I began the hunt for a new(fast) car. I am self-taught kinda guy, so it was important to me to find a car that needed a fair amount of work to bring it back to life; I wanted to learn as much as I could. So I began looking for an Acura RSX Type S, then an is300, then an sc300, and finally a Subaru WRX! Yup, I was all over the place at first, all of those were in similar price brackets and all seemed like great entry level cars for me to start with since Supra’s are so damn expensive. As I was looking at those cars though I kept finding myself looking at Supra’s, I was being drawn to them so strongly. I kept trying to talk myself into something cheaper but I just couldn’t do it...all of those cars would have been great and I was about to buy a WRX but just couldn’t do it…I HAD to have a God damn SUPRA!!! HAHA

So I began to actually hunt for MY Supra, I connected with an old friend I hadn’t talked to in a long time who is a Supra owner, I got on this forum and started reading, I watched videos on YouTube, I got on autotempest/ebay/craiglist, and spent full days scouring the country and talking to people about Supra’s, learning as much as I could about them. It consumed my life and I still had so much to learn, because truth be told I didn’t know shit about Supra’s at the time. I didn’t know all the variations that existed or even the exact years that the MKIV spanned!! Yeah I was green(weren’t we all at one time), all I knew was that I loved them and that I wanted one. So I spent about 3-4 weeks searching and then made a WTB post on this forum and was contacted by a Supra owner here in CO who had just had a little accident with his car and he was looking to sell it. So I figured what the hell I am gonna go and check this thing out, I hadn’t seen one in probably 10 years! I figured I probably wouldn’t buy it since it was an Auto, but it was a factory GTE so I knew I was at least going somewhat in the right direction. So I went and looked at it and it was in ok shape, it had its fair share of dents and dings and the rear quarter panel was crushed where it was in the accident, which was a low speed hit and run. Luckily all of the damage was in the Qtr panel, no frame or suspension damage of any kind, here it was the first day I saw it (7/31/15):

Some general info:
2JZGTE
A340e
Black Paint
Black Interior
All Matching Vins
Factory Wingless
Megan DP (I kept)
Apexi GT Spec Exhaust (Original Owner kept)
97 tailights (Original Owner kept)
Carbon fiber stickers on the dash and interior (Unfortunately…) and then a few other odds and ends but nothing major

After talking to the owner I got him to pull out the qtr enough so it wouldn’t rub on the tire because I wanted to test drive it before buying it. Over the next couple weeks we talked and negotiated and I went up and drove it once the qtr was pulled out, I could tell it needed some work but the engine and turbo’s felt and sounded pretty good, but there was white smoke. After a lot of discussions I finally agreed to buy the car and I drove it to work that day and here is how it looked (8/13/15):

I spent a couple days working on it and detailing it on the inside and outside and got some more pics of the outside and inside, it was a little dirty but after cleaning it I could tell the interior was in very good condition considering its age (8/15/15):

·
Registered
945 Posts
Discussion Starter #2 (Edited)
So I put the seats back in it and I drove it 2 or 3 more times and unfortunately got less than 100 miles on the car before I had to start working on it. I went for a drive with my cousin and I got on the throttle and really ran the car hard, I was trying to find weakpoints and well guess what? I found one. I got home, parked it, and heard a nice little hiss from the engine bay and looked under the car and saw a big puddle of green coming, WELL WTF, there shouldn’t be anything GREEN!!! Oh man did someone put Zerex in this instead of Toyota red??? Well yup that’s what it was so I looked for the leak and guess what I find…God damn FIPG was used in the #1 water bypass pipe instead of the proper .50cent O-ring that should have been. Well the pressure blew the FIPG right out, shocking I know who would have thought and that caused the leak. So I began disassembly because if they did that what else did they do?? This was on 8/27/15, yup that’s right do the math, I had been a Supra owner for 14 days before beginning the teardown. Looking in the turbo piping I could see there was a HEAVY air restriction in the “accordion” style boots that the turbos use to suck in air, not very important for the turbos right?? Air is nothing. These things were bulged on the inside so much it was probably cutting about 50% air flow to the turbos (8/27/15):

Here is the water bypass pipe, was torn up on the O-ring lip as well, looks like someone changed out the water pump and went at it a little to aggressive(8/28/15):

So I looked at the air chamber intake and the intake pipes and damn was there a lot of oil in them:

At this point it was time to make a choice, if this is what the top looked like, what does the bottom end look like? What other work did somebody else do? It was time to decide to do the rebuild or to fix the coolant system and hope everything was alright on the bottom end and hope nothing else bad would happen. Well I had to make the hard choice and didn’t want to take that chance, so I had to do the right thing(insurance really), and decided it was time for a full teardown!!(8/29/15):

The next day I pulled the engine, little did I know how much easier it was to pull the engine then it would be to put it back in. Future note if you ever do this get an engine load leveler, it is the only way to remove the motor with the trans connected (8/30/15):

Things sure did start to feel empty in there:

But it’s ok the engine didn’t go too far, the Supra was freaking out so I left the engine close, I assured it everything would be ok ;p :

I took lots of pics of the engine, there was so much shit hanging on it and these pics saved my ass on the reassembly!!(8/31/15):

·
Registered
945 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
Oh look even more oil crude buildup and in the head too, yay!(9/2/15):

Oh cool and more FIPG instead of the $1.00 O-ring on the oil filter bracket and look even for the thermostat too and the oil sensor level as well!!:

At this point the garage was looking pretty full, note the sneak peak of suspension to come:

Then I got everything removed from the sides of the engine, it was nice to get everything off the block and head for further work to continue (9/4/15):

Lets check out the head(Can you tell which side was exhaust based on color? LOL) and also the bottom of the crank through the midpan:

Then I got all the internals removed and honestly it all looked amazing, engine looked very very well taken care of and I must say I am not sure that the bottom end needed to be rebuilt but hey at 176,000 miles whatever lets do this thing! Man does Toyota know how to build vehicles (9/7/15):

·
Registered
945 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
While the engine was out being honed, hot tanked and the head was being rebuilt it was time to start cleaning up the internals, there was a fair amount of carbon on the pistons, but them and the rods looked great and were well within spec (9/11/15):

I know what you are thinking man those thing look awful you really reused those things, well here is a before and after pic, you tell me if they look bad, especially when they measured within spec :) (9/14/15)

Got the Crank and block back on 9/18/15 and the crank was so shiny it was hypnotizing, no grinding was needed, just a good polish and it was WELL within spec:

Here are the specs if you wanted to know, I measured it all down to .0001”:

Journal/Pins
Main 1 2.4405
Rod 1 2.0467
Main 2 2.4405
Rod 2 2.0465
Main 3 2.4405
Rod 3 2.0466
Main 4 2.4405
Rod 4 2.0465
Main 5 2.4405
Rod 5 2.0466
Main 6 2.4405
Rod 6 2.0465
Main 7 2.4405

Boy was the block ugly when I got it back, what an ugly bitch, I hate you, I never want to see you again(Note the brand new freeze plugs)(09/23/15):

Oh wait you look so pretty…I love you 2JZ block, you are a work of art, I take it all back you beautiful bitch (it was wet there, its not that shiny, it’s a semi-gloss paint, you will see that later below):

While waiting on the head I decided to find another set of turbos and some other parts to use here locally, got it from cool dude here on the Supra Forums who is building a sick single turbo Supra:

One thing that always bugged me was that the car just didn’t look like a TRUE Supra to me, it needed a wing so badly, it yearned for it, it was a total pain in the ass because fedex damaged the first one I found and the second one I got was in ok condition compared to the first one, but whatever that doesn’t matter, I am respraying the whole car anyways! Got it all measured out after making a template from a friend’s car and placed the wing on and finished it that night (9/26/15):

Here are a few more shots of the cleaned block with the newly installed ARP Studs (studs indeed) and you can see the accurate color of the newly painted block from earlier(9/28/15):

·
Registered
945 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
Then I got to pick up the head and boy did she turn out beautiful! Newly decked, ground seats, new seals, the whole shebang (9/30/15):

Oh and I cant forget my newly painted Turbo Heat shield, it sure did turn out nice, I love the color. As you can see from the before picture way above this was a SUBSTANTIAL change:

Had to sneak this pic, just caught my eye:

Well now that I got all the parts back, it is time to put the block back together and get this thing back in the car!! Here are the specs if you wanted to know, I measured it all down to .0001” again and used Clevite bearings. I also used Toyota piston rings, all of which were WELL within spec. Keep in mind these are the optimum tolerances by Toyota, look how large the maximum allowed numbers are here, clearly there is no slop here, these are VERY VERY excellent numbers. I could not have asked for anything better, keep in mind how finite these numbers are(Cant get the table to look quite right):

Location | Pin | Bearing in Cap | Tolerance(Delta) | Optimum tolerance | Maximum Tolerance
Main 1 | 2.4405 | 2.4418 | 0.0013 | .0010-.0016 | 0.0024
Rod 1 | 2.0467 | 2.0480 | 0.0013 | .0009-.0016 | 0.0027
Main 2 | 2.4405 | 2.4417 | 0.0012 | .0010-.0016 | 0.0024
Rod 2 | 2.0465 | 2.0480 | 0.0015 | .0009-.0016 | 0.0027
Main 3 | 2.4405 | 2.4419 | 0.0014 | .0010-.0016 | 0.0024
Rod 3 | 2.0466 | 2.0481 | 0.0015 | .0009-.0016 | 0.0027
Main 4 | 2.4405 | 2.4417 | 0.0012 | .0010-.0016 | 0.0024
Rod 4 | 2.0465 | 2.0481 | 0.0016 | .0009-.0016 | 0.0027
Main 5 | 2.4405 | 2.4418 | 0.0013 | .0010-.0016 | 0.0024
Rod 5 | 2.0466 | 2.0482 | 0.0016 | .0010-.0016 | 0.0027
Main 6 | 2.4405 | 2.4419 | 0.0014 | .0010-.0016 | 0.0024
Rod 6 | 2.0465 | 2.0480 | 0.0015 | .0009-.0016 | 0.0027
Main 7 | 2.4405 | 2.4419 | 0.0014 | .0010-.0016 | 0.0024

Main caps/Bearings installed:

Rods/Rings/Pistons/Bearings Installed (10/2/15):

Now that is done let’s take a “brake” from engine work and clean/fix up that worn ass broke down suspension. Oh cool check it out red TRD sway bars! I installed them and forgot to take pictures of that whole process, sorry about that! Got the new Tein Street flexes in there and also got the brand new stoptech slotted rotors on there, looks like Christmas up in that bitch all red and green, if only I had something gold then I could have made a “Silver & Gold” Rudolph joke too…I also rebuilt the calipers, but didn’t include any pictures of that in here(10/3/15 – 10/10/15):

Alright, time to get back to the motor, I put the head on, torqued it down and started bolting parts back onto the block(10/10/15):

·
Registered
945 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
Something that I always hated in the engine bay were the valve covers they were SO damn ugly and were in terrible shape. I wanted to keep the bay looking mostly stock, but I did not want the valve covers to be the stock color and I also decided that I wanted them to match my heat shield and be a close color to the aluminum head so I sanded them down and painted them up (10/10/15-10/12/15):

I also took the time to clean every single intake manifold piece, I tried everything I could think of and I just could not get them clean, so I gave a wire brush on a drill a shot and man did they turn out nice, here is a before and after picture (10/13/15):

Then it was time to bolt on the intake and exhaust manifolds and all the other peripheral parts, note the new belt tensioner, mine was definitely on its way out. Here are a couple other pictures, I also bought HPS silicone boots for the turbo intake pipes since the accordion style ones are ugly and they had completely buldged in on the inside cutting the air flow, that wont/cant happen with these:

Next up was cleaning the wiring harness, which was filthy, and rewiring the ignition coil wires…whoever did the work prior did very shitty work lol. Luckily there were new connectors so I removed the VERY poorly “crimped” wires/connectors and decided to solder all of the connections myself and refresh that whole part of the harness. Quite honestly the only things holding those wires together was the heat shrink tubing. (10/18/15):

After I removed all of the broken and torn conduit this is how the wires looked underneath:

Without the heat shrink tubing the wires couldn’t even stay in place on their own:

Here is one of my soldered and heat shrunk connections:

And how it looked with the new conduit:

·
Registered
945 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
I also decided to drill and tap the factory oil screw for my oil pressure gauge, was a good choice and was very easy to do. The other cool thing is I pressurized the oil system through this hole with a barbed NPT fitting. (10/20/15):

Got the wiring harness back on the engine and got it ready to drop back in the car, here is a pic of the engine and trans right before being dropped in the car):

Here is the engine all tucked back into the car, I am not gonna lie this was kind of a bitch took 2-3 tries but we finally got the motor mounts to drop into their holes, thankfully I had my dad to help me with this part. Toyota sure did not leave a lot of room in the engine bay, this is a tight fit! It was so nice to see the engine back in the car though, what a gratifying moment(Note the trans wires not being connected, did that on the second shot. (10/21/15):

Side note when installing the engine PUT THE REAR WATER HOSE ON, I didn’t and it was a MAJOR pain in the ass to get it on, this sucked!! (10/22/15):

Then on 10/24/15 I got the engine to fire up and it started to run but sputtered out, did a little minor tuning and I got it running and drove it for about 30 minutes, it worked great and felt awesome, but then I had some problems rear their ugly head, as expected, and here is what the fixes/problems were:

1. I did not have the engine hook ground strap connected to the firewall, so I reconnected that

2. I did not have the ground straps for the ECU on the lower intake manifold fully tightened down. The threads were all gulled up and I assumed they were on, I was wrong, fixing this was a big pain as when I tightened one of the bolts on the bottom of the lower intake the damn bolt head sheared off, so I had to remove the upper and lower intake manifolds and drill out the screw and retap the hole to re-secure the ecu ground strap. Luckily I was able to save the original threads and just use a new bolt by chasing the threads. But wow this seriously sucked.

3. Then I got the engine running and it was flooding and the plugs were getting fouled up quickly, I knew I had a fuel problem that I had to fix, but didn’t know why. I had a rich running engine from the first day I bought the car and didn’t know why, so I started checking the fuel pressure and discovered I had a bad fuel pressure regulator, after two bad ones from RockAuto and two weeks of waiting I bought the Toyota one and boom all my problems were fixed and the car ran AMAZING, I mean it is absolutely incredible, so much power and it sounds and runs so damn good. This was when I finally was able to breathe easy as I knew my problem was fixed. So I then started to push it a little harder as I was doing the motoman break-in method and found another problem!!

4. I was getting boost breakup at high RPM so I started trouble shooting for a couple days, I checked all kinds of stuff. Then I pulled my coilpacks and found that 5 of the 6 were cracked, BADLY. Wish I would have looked at them sooner, so I had a friend come over with extra coilpacks and we were able to get 6 that were pretty much close to working and bam, very little to no boost breakup. So I bought brand new denso coilpacks put them in and WOW what a difference at high RPM, car is just a solid pull from 0-100. This car is incredible, it drove NOTHING like this when I bought it!!!

I have a TRD Strut bar that still isnt installed as I need to repaint the valve covers and I need to remove the oil cooler and replace the o-rings and seal on it because I have a tiny drip now, go figure the one thing I didn't disassemble!! That should be the last mechanical bits

As I am sure you can tell I am still not done with the project by any means. I still have a lot of work to do, next up on the list is(Not in this order):
1. Complete Body work on the whole car
2. Respray the whole car in factory black
3. Repaint interior panels
4. Install nice new audio system
5. Front Mount Intercooler
6. Wheels and tires
7. R154, v160, or DCT swap (But not anytime soon)

Once I start all of that stuff I will be sure to keep this thread updated

Oh one more thing, I started a thread here and found a member to send an original Premier edition badge to SpeedforSale and they made replicas and I just got it the other day, totally badass!!

·
Super Moderator
3,831 Posts
Some of your pics aren't working, but wow for a thread beginner you really put a lot of detail and work in giving the specs and measurements. I'm also glad you put the wing on, make sure you have the shocks aired up since the weight of the wing actually brings it down. Also while you're motor is out you can delete the TRAC pump. It's pretty useless. Hope great updates come, keep up the amazing work bud!

·
Registered
945 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Some of your pics aren't working, but wow for a thread beginner you really put a lot of detail and work in giving the specs and measurements. I'm also glad you put the wing on, make sure you have the shocks aired up since the weight of the wing actually brings it down. Also while you're motor is out you can delete the TRAC pump. It's pretty useless. Hope great updates come, keep up the amazing work bud!
Thanks! Yeah the shocks definitely don't hold the wing up now, gotta upgrade those now.

There should be 7 posts and about 80 pics are they up now?

·
Registered
1,076 Posts
Great attention to detail! Would have been a lot easier to build the bottom end while it was out, just sayin!

·
Registered
945 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Great attention to detail! Would have been a lot easier to build the bottom end while it was out, just sayin!
I thought about it but the fact that I am staying BPU and my goal is only around 400hp it didn't make sense to upgrade rods/pistons. Stock parts are more than capable of my goals and I am not going big HP because I want to drive my car frequently lol

·
Do You Even HKS, Bro?!?
1,493 Posts

·
Registered
806 Posts
and you are going single right?

·
Registered
209 Posts
Good job so far! :) Some of the pics reminded me of my own process, especially the ones, where you pulled the engine out!

·
Master Shit Fixer
3,588 Posts
Nice documentation. What color did you spray the valve covers?

I may be doing the same exact things to my engine/bottom end very soon.

1 - 20 of 69 Posts