Supra Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
166 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm planning to strip the paint on my car soon to prep for some body work and a paint job. The last time I stripped the paint I used a DA sander and did everything by hand. I was told sandblasting can do the job just as well...

I've found a nice gravity-fed sand blasting gun that I can hook up to my air compressor (33gal. 2HP Craftsman). Now that only thing I'm looking for is the proper media. I was told that using a plastic media ideal for metal stripping.

I found this site that sells media (http://www.kramerindustriesonline.com/blasting-media/plastic-abrasives.htm). They have acrylic, melamine, and urea. Any idea which is best? Their description makes it seem that urea is the best bet.

Any advice would help. I'm used to using grinders/sanding etc, so this is a first for me. Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
184 Posts
there is no need to strip all the paint off the car to repaint it.....just grind or da sand off the spots you will be repairing and wet sand the rest of the car with 400grit wet paper. sandblasting your whole car is WAYYY more work than you need to do unless its been sitting at the bottom of the ocean for 2 years.

·
Registered
166 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
the car painted with HOK cobalt blue metallic over oriental blue base coat, including a 3 stage clear coat. The butt nugget who did the job decided to paint each panel of the car at different times/temperatures. So obviously the color will not be the same throughout. The result is a frikkin jigsaw puzzle of a paint job, not to mention the cracks in fiberglass the are showing through due to poor workman ship on the body repairs.

I NEED to strip all the paint off.

Any advice on the sandblasting media anyone?

·
Registered
184 Posts
the car painted with HOK cobalt blue metallic over oriental blue base coat, including a 3 stage clear coat. The butt nugget who did the job decided to paint each panel of the car at different times/temperatures. So obviously the color will not be the same throughout. The result is a frikkin jigsaw puzzle of a paint job, not to mention the cracks in fiberglass the are showing through due to poor workman ship on the body repairs.

I NEED to strip all the paint off.

Any advice on the sandblasting media anyone?
trust me dude i do bodywork for a living......you dont need to strip it all off....and the paint on my car is HOK lazuli pearl...so i know alll about the HOK stuff....anything like cracks and stuff you obviously have to sand all the way down....but as for the paint on the car....just sand it down with 400 wet until its uniformly smooth and sealer primer it......taking it down to bare metal is just wasting alot of time and then you have to make sure you get self etch primer to adhere to the metal or your paint is coming back off...its just a waste of time

·
Registered
747 Posts
I have a question for you........is your car a NA/ AUTO and is the engine bay maroon???

·
2JZ Mk2
1,183 Posts
Your compressor is going to die a fast death trying to do sandblasting. I have a much bigger compressor with a bead blast cabinet and it outruns the compressor. BTW this is something you want to pay somebody to do. Its crappy hard work that creates an extreme mess.

·
NO SOUP 4 U
1,683 Posts
If you are going to spend that much monsy stripping your car i would do it right. Sand blasting isnt the way to go. That medium is much to harsh on the metal. There are places that use much better blasting medium... such as walnuts.

Wedge

1 - 8 of 8 Posts