Supra Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1,054 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I sent this out to everone on my region's announce list. A lot of it is taken from Road Atlanta's letter to the Atlanta Region SCCA. If anyone wants to cut and paste to some other forum or email list any or all of this please feel free and I don't care if my name stays in the message.

ROAD ATLANTA’S EXISTENCE IS UNDER AN IMMEDIATE THREAT AND I ASK ALL SCCA MEMBERS TO IMMEDIATELY EMAIL, WRITE, OR CALL THE HALL COUNTY COMMISIONERS LISTED BELOW BEFORE JUNE 19TH TO LET THEM KNOW JUST HOW IMPORTANT ROAD ATLANTA IS TO THE MOTORSPORTS COMMUNITY AND TO REITERATE ITS POSITIVE ECONOMIC IMPACT ON HALL COUNTY. ACT NOW.

An Atlanta Developer has contracted to purchase a tract of property off of Highway 211 that is directly adjacent to Road Atlanta. In fact, the property line is fifty feet from the actual race track along the Turn 9 backstretch. Nine acres will be reserved for commercial development and the remaining acreage will be developed into HIGH DENSITY RESIDENTIAL. The project will be called the “Park at Riverside”.

Road Atlanta is one of the premier road racing circuits in North America if not the world. Its unique topography with its challenging elevation changes combined with a fast and flowing course design can not be duplicated on any other real estate. Since the 1970s Road Atlanta has operated with the protection of reasonable zoning that provided appropriate non-residential development around the track.

The current REQUEST TO CHANGE THE ZONING for this new project to allow residential development will no doubt lead to homeowner’s complaints, petitions for sound abatement or limited operating hours. This requested zoning change would seriously challenge Road Atlanta’s core business. Road Atlanta attracts hundreds of thousands of visitors each year. According to Hall County’s own Visitor Bureau statistics, Road Atlanta contributes 53.5 MILLION DOLLARS a year to the Hall county economy alone. That is 27% of Hall County’s total tourism expenditures from visitors.

This project is up for review on JUNE 19TH with the Hall County Planning Commsion. Pleae help save an irreplaceable “institution” in Motorsports by contacting the Hall County Commissioners. If you have personally visited Road Atlanta, let them know how you spend your hard earned dollars in their county because of Road Atlanta.

Hall County Commissioners:
Hall County Website
Tom Oliver
Chairman
[email protected]
Deborah Lynn
Commissioner District 1
[email protected]
Billy Powell
District 2
[email protected]
Seve Gailey
District 3
[email protected]
Deborah Mack
District4
[email protected]
Jim Shuler
County Administrator
[email protected]

Barry Hair

Alabama Region SCCA Regional Executive

·
Registered
2,576 Posts
Unbelievable! I thought RA was too famous to even be challenged by just another residential development. I will contact those commissioners and do my part, but it's going to take a lot to stop this!!! I know there are lots of RA fans out there from all over the US, there are enough to make a difference.

·
OG
1,059 Posts
Who here remembers Riverside? NASCAR ran at rioverside and it fell to development...

This would truly suck.

Cheers
Rich

P.S. - Better make sure to save the September Road Atlanta date before it too falls...

·
Registered
682 Posts
I have raced at RA for 20 years. It is the most fun I have ever had with my clothes on. I love the track and hated it when the run-offs were moved to Ohio. I am not surprised about this, but will email these folks immediately. It will be a sad day for road racing if RA goes away.

·
Registered
13,581 Posts
I'll email too. Loosing such a significant and great track like RA would be a HUGE loss to road racing in the U.S.

I didn't see the name of the "developer" ...anybody know who it is? But if that developer doesn't see the destruction he/they are about to propogate they need to hear from everyone too.

·
***** or against em.
632 Posts
Taken from MaconRacers.org (central GA racing forum)

I emailed Brian Skuza at Road Atlanta and got this response:

An Atlanta developer has contracted to purchase a piece of land adjacent to
Road Atlanta. We are in favor of commercial not residential development.

It means a great deal to us to know that our fans share our concerns about
this rezoning request, or other potential threats to the viability of our
business. Road Atlanta enjoys a healthy relationship with the Northeast
Georgia business community, and we have always put the comfort and
convenience of our guests as a top priority. We will let you know if are
specific things you can do to support us, but meanwhile we appreciate your
comments.

Thanks again for your support of Road Atlanta.

Brian
- Peter

·
Evil Shenanigans
623 Posts
No way! RA is my favorite track on Forza and if I didn't get a chance in my lifetime to drive on it in reality I would be crushed! This can't happen! RA is way too famous!

·
SELOC Co-Founder
281 Posts
I will inform our SELOC members, so we can try our best to not let that happen.

·
Registered
283 Posts
1SICKLEX said:
I will inform our SELOC members, so we can try our best to not let that happen.

Mike,
If I am reading this correctly, June 19th was the date for the re-zoning hearing.

Barry,
Currently at work (and basically limit my surfing to SFs while here). Any update on the results of the re-zoning request? What is the current status?

Thanks,
Kelly

·
Registered
3,569 Posts
Doesn't Don Panoz own RA? Why would he let them raze RA especially since it has Petit Le Mans which is an integral part of Le Mans qualifying?

Something doesn't add up.. unless Panoz was offered a substantial amount for it.

·
Ronin
1,215 Posts
yah.. what happened?!.. i was out of town.. i completely missed this in the scca newsletter?!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts