Supra Forums banner

381 - 400 of 412 Posts

·
Registered
271 Posts
Could you please give us a rundown of some of the products you are using and some resto tips? I see PlastX, Forever Black bumper die, Amino gel, etc. How did you whiten your AC buttons? And did you scrub-prep-and repaint your plastic dash and console panels? Everything looks fantastic!

·
Registered
1,024 Posts
Discussion Starter · #383 · (Edited)
Could you please give us a rundown of some of the products you are using and some resto tips? I see PlastX, Forever Black bumper die, Amino gel, etc. How did you whiten your AC buttons? And did you scrub-prep-and repaint your plastic dash and console panels? Everything looks fantastic!
Some of the cleaning products I use for detailing such as the full AMMO NYC line, a lot of the ammo products are a bit pricey but are verrrry safe to use imo on a lot of things and i use them when I'm working on old cars like Ferrari's or Porsche.
I also use the full nextzett line up, some of these such as the plastic cleaner can be strong in some areas and you should be careful what plastics you use it on (keep it away from plastic that has paint or has dye) example would be the stalks coming of the steering wheel, it will remove the white paint on it. or the plastic housing around the steering column it will remove the black dye.
I use a lot of meguiars stuff for polishing and buffing compounds (Plastx, M105, M205,D300 and microfiber pads)
For glass i use Griots glass line (Clay, cleaner, polish and pad)
The buffer's i use are the Rupes line (Bigfoot and Nano)

A lot of it comes down to experience knowing what products work for each individual part your working on, leather vs vinyl, what type of plastic your working on, how aggressive you can be with cloth either the floor carpet or the headliner or seats.. ect. Then knowing what products work for that and knowing when to stop and not go to far.

I replaced the AC buttons with new ones from Toyota, I'm pretty sure though you could restore them to white if you really wanted to tho. Just didn't seem worth the effort as i had the buttons laying around from a few years back when Curt still ran the Elmhurst section.

For the Dash panels I removed the nasty coating with PPG DT870 reducer (Be careful if you use this as it can melt plastic) Once the factory nasty coating is gone i sand the panels out and prep them for paint. Clean the panel really good with dawn dish soap, followed up with a full plastic prep system and use a 2k primer then sand the primer smooth and paint.

If you need something restored and are willing to ship to me id be more than happy to do it as i need more work right now! :D
If you have anymore questions feel free to ask

Paul

Edit: Here is what some dash panels look after they are cleaned and sanded and ready for paint, I did these for Devin Poorman

·
Registered
271 Posts
Excellent feedback. That gives us some perspective on how much work it takes for your results. I just look at my plastics and they get more scratched! Very disappointing at the quality of materials Toyota used on our interiors. My 87 MKIII interior seemed to have held up better.

·
Registered
239 Posts
very awesome sir, about to go through this same process. How did you take the dynamat off the doors? I have some second skin on the floor boards and need to remove all of them.

·
Registered
1,024 Posts
Discussion Starter · #386 ·
very awesome sir, about to go through this same process. How did you take the dynamat off the doors? I have some second skin on the floor boards and need to remove all of them.
I didnt have to much of it and luckly for me it just pulled right off

Paul

·
Registered
1,024 Posts
Discussion Starter · #392 ·
That cowl looks great. Wondering how long it will last tho.

Sent from my SM-G950U1 using Tapatalk
The dye I use will last for years depending on conditions the car will see.

Looking very good!
Nice cleanup on the wiring!!
Thanks silver! It was my first time attempting something like that!

-Paul

·
Registered
35 Posts
Absolutely fantastic job!

Attention to detail.

How much of the steering column did you take apart?
Doing similar stuff, and not quite sure how i want to approach it, with paint etc.

By painting the joints, did you have any problems with that?

Again... fantastic job.

·
Registered
1,024 Posts
Discussion Starter · #396 ·
Absolutely fantastic job!

Attention to detail.

How much of the steering column did you take apart?
Doing similar stuff, and not quite sure how i want to approach it, with paint etc.

By painting the joints, did you have any problems with that?

Again... fantastic job.
Thanks for the kind words,
For the Column I took everything that had bolts on it off and masked off the gearing down the main shaft.
If you have any more questions feel free to ask.
Paul

·
iSPOOL
1,418 Posts
Reactions: Khano

·
Registered
1,270 Posts
Wow, there is no words can explain how impeccable this built is. Believe it or not, I read from the first page to the end.
It is such an inspiration for many Supra enthusiasts.

·
Registered
1,024 Posts
Discussion Starter · #400 ·
Wow, there is no words can explain how impeccable this built is. Believe it or not, I read from the first page to the end.
It is such an inspiration for many Supra enthusiasts.
Thanks so much for the kind words! I hope to have it back up and running next year..

Paul

381 - 400 of 412 Posts