Supra Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Ok, ok, maybe 500rwhp!!!
1,185 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Anyone else experiencing slower speeds and crappier connections with SBC since they merged with ATT? I'm losing sync more often as well, whereas I would lose it once or twice a year!

My connection has been ROCK solid for the last 5 years until 3 weeks ago. My speed within the last week or so has dropped down almost 50%! Currently, I'm subbing to DSL Pro which is supposed to be (and WAS!) 3mb/512k.

You can see others doing speed tests in the same zip code and the results are similar to mine:

My take is that they moved a lot of subscribers over on the network I'm using, and it's overloaded now. I also have line noise/STATIC (started a few days ago - where you can hear a slight hum on the line after the dial tone). I hear static AFTER I place a call, so it's not my internal wiring in the house.

If anyone who knows anything about this, can you please chime in? I'm ready to switch to something else if this keeps up.

·
Ok, ok, maybe 500rwhp!!!
1,185 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Argh - I used to praise SBC DSL too, because it worked so great. This situation falls under that phrase "you don't know what you've got until it's gone."

·
Sir Digby Chicken Ceasar
519 Posts
Got Surewest no problems here.

·
Ruff Rydahs
1,744 Posts
I switched from comcast to SBC because it was WAAAAAAAAAAAAY cheaper but I noticed when I used to download 800k/sec with comcast now I get 270k/sec with SBC Pro :(

·
SC Under Pressure
290 Posts
brianb said:
Argh -"you don't know what you've got until it's gone."
I hear that, I was stuck with dail-up hell. DSL is technically unavailable in my area of Millbrae, too far from the " central office". Somehow I slipped by the tech guys on this and snagged a DSL connection when they were aggressively signing people up. I am grateful to get a (pathetic) 310Kbps. It has been perfect since the day it was installed 3-1/2 years ago. Good thing to, because if I call a tech out here, they will say I am to far from the c.o. to support the minimum speeds they are required to deliver and turn me off. That happened once due to faulty interior phone wiring, took sympathetic service rep to flip the switch on again. I promised I'd never call for service

·
Registered
1,882 Posts
SCoupe 5sp said:
I hear that, I was stuck with dail-up hell. DSL is technically unavailable in my area of Millbrae, too far from the " central office". Somehow I slipped by the tech guys on this and snagged a DSL connection when they were aggressively signing people up. I am grateful to get a (pathetic) 310Kbps. It has been perfect since the day it was installed 3-1/2 years ago. Good thing to, because if I call a tech out here, they will say I am to far from the c.o. to support the minimum speeds they are required to deliver and turn me off. That happened once due to faulty interior phone wiring, took sympathetic service rep to flip the switch on again. I promised I'd never call for service
My best friend is only 1000 feet from the central office and his area can't get DSL.

When it rains I get cut off from internet or can't sign on. Damn SBC!!

·
SC Under Pressure
290 Posts
I'd go with cable, but I've somehow got free local channels via Comcast cable and I know the minute I add high speed service some tech is going to see that and pull the plug.

·
Ok, ok, maybe 500rwhp!!!
1,185 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
supra_onna95 said:
My best friend is only 1000 feet from the central office and his area can't get DSL.

When it rains I get cut off from internet or can't sign on. Damn SBC!!
I'm 1400 ft. away from the Remote Terminal, and it's been bulletproof for the last 5 years. I'm getting pissed everytime I goto post on a forum/read email only to have the line get dropped.

This kind of reminds me of the late 90s when AOL oversub'd it's service and angry mobs connected to busy signals.

·
me me me me me me!!!
483 Posts
me too, and i'm supposed to have the pro package. 1.5 to 3mb per sec.

angry!!!(as i'm trying to post this reply cause it's frikin slow.)

·
Supra Poobah
1,391 Posts
Well what they are fuckin doing now that sbc is att, att is intentionally reducing speeds because they want more people to switch to this "even faster service" for $5 more a month even though it is the same speed that you where once used to.

fuck you a :madjerk: t :madjerk: t :madjerk:

·
Registered
207 Posts
Never had problems with SBC/Yahoo until they merged with ATT. After that
I could always count on my connection going out early in the evening and never coming back until early morning. Got fed up and switched to Comcast, cost more but
you get what you paid for. Comcast connection has only gone down once since switching last December and download speeds in my area(Eastridge) is at least 800Kb/sec. As "layzeasnboi" said, high speed cable internet is COMCASTIC!! :bigthumb:

1 - 20 of 22 Posts