Supra Forums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
296 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Sorry, I searched but keep getting the blank screen. Im in the process of converting my Auto Sc300 into a Aristo/USDM 2JZGTE with a SC300 5 speed conversion.

Will I need a new rear end? I cant seem to find any info on this.

·
1,854 Posts
i have sort of the same question. i have a 5 speed driveshaft on my supra and it doesnt bolt up to the tt diff? did i do something wrong or do i need a tt driveshaft?

·
2jz powered
1,688 Posts
90redsupra said:
Not true, the DS will need to be lengethed about 5", custom DS..
michaelvanle has it correct. I have a 2jzgte in my sc300 with a w58 and my stock driveshaft fit just fine.

·
wastegate hose is pulled
4,586 Posts
Wow, he said has an automatic SC300 and he is putting a W58 in it guys. The key question is where are the W58, rear diff and drivesahft coming from? If they are coming out of a SC/Soarer, you are good to go. If they are coming out of an N/A Supra, the driveshaft will need to be lengthened.

To answer the original question, yes, I'd change the diff for that combination. I wouldn't go with a W58 either though. Maybe with an R154, wich would work better with the automatic rear gear ratio and be more sturdy (making the stock SC diff the weakest link) you could hold onto the stock diff but, you'd still need a custom driveshaft. Also, be advised that there are different size bolt patterns on different diff pinion flanges just to make thigs a bit more fun.

·
Registered
296 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
chevyeater-on-sf said:
Wow, he said has an automatic SC300 and he is putting a W58 in it guys. The key question is where are the W58, rear diff and drivesahft coming from? If they are coming out of a SC/Soarer, you are good to go. If they are coming out of an N/A Supra, the driveshaft will need to be lengthened.

To answer the original question, yes, I'd change the diff for that combination. I wouldn't go with a W58 either though. Maybe with an R154, wich would work better with the automatic rear gear ratio and be more sturdy (making the stock SC diff the weakest link) you could hold onto the stock diff but, you'd still need a custom driveshaft. Also, be advised that there are different size bolt patterns on different diff pinion flanges just to make thigs a bit more fun.
Thank you for a great response. Yes its going to be a straight SC300 MT swap into an SC300 AT. I was only worrying about having a real screwed up ratio running a w58 with an auto rear diff. So i guess I should look for a w58 sc300 rear diff.

Of course I would want to, and hope to eventually upgrade to a 6 speed, but financially thats just not happening. I would buy an r154 in a heartbeat if I could find one. But I wouldnt install it until after I blow the w58, im hearing the w58 is good enough for what im lookin for (under 400 rhwp)

·
Registered
18 Posts
I did that swap myself as well (W58 with a auto differential) and 5th gear redlines at about 145mph. I love the gear ratios for mountain driving but for freeway driving it a bit of a pain because you will basicaly have to go the speed limit. I drove 450 miles on the 5 freeway and had it at about an average of 4500 rpm in 5th gear and I was going as fast as the semi trucks. I want to buy an aftermarket LSD to put into that pumpkin designed for a M/T car but I do not know if it directly bolts in. Good luck with your swap, it took me about a week to do mine. I hope you have the pedal and master and slave cylinders...

·
Registered
388 Posts
SoarerTT said:
michaelvanle has it correct. I have a 2jzgte in my sc300 with a w58 and my stock driveshaft fit just fine.
nice i plan on doing a 2jzgte swap also into my sc300 also. i have a 92 5speed. so the stock driveshaft is fine awesome... also im wondering about the clutch you are using a stock 2jzgte clutch or something different?

1 - 14 of 14 Posts