Supra Forums banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
583 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm getting a 2JZGE from an SC300 to swap into an 89NA. As far as mechanical fitment of the engine into the chassis what issues do I need to address?

1. Transmission - I am going to use the W58 from the SC300, so that should cover all bellhousing/clutch/flywheel issues. I'm hoping the MKIII slave cylinder will work, but it wouldn't be hard fix if it doesn't.

2. Oil pan - I'm pretty sure the SC300 sump will work with the MA70 crossmember, right?

3. Mounts - I should be able to swap the MA70 transmission mount onto the W58 from the SC300 (I think), but what about the engine mounts, do I need 1JZ mounts? What is the difference between those, the 89+ MA70 ones and the 2JZ ones?

4. Anything else?

Thanks,
Glen

·
Registered
1,084 Posts
oil pan setup is compatible with the A70 chassis.

You will need JZA70 mount brackets I believe.

·
Registered
583 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Any ideas where to get those brackets? Do the guys putting 1JZ into a lexus use the JZA70 brackets or their stock ones?

·
Registered
1,084 Posts
the guys putting a 1JZ use their stock brackets and mounts. You either have to buy the brackets from the dealer (Champion Toyota) or find someone with a set.

·
Banned
531 Posts
i was thinking about this too, cause my bro has an SC300.

But i realized a 7mgte has more power/torque than the 2JZ-GE, and has the same stupid manifold design...

wouldnt really be worth it...

·
Banned
1,731 Posts
I would imagine putting in a 2JZGE would be no different then 1JZGTE or 2JZGTE.

·
Registered
583 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
SykoCerebral said:
i was thinking about this too, cause my bro has an SC300.

But i realized a 7mgte has more power/torque than the 2JZ-GE, and has the same stupid manifold design...

wouldnt really be worth it...
You can get a 2jzge with a bulletproof bottom end for less than you can build a 7M (a set of pistons alone cost more than the 2JZGE), the 2JZGTE is way too expensive and the 1JZGTE is fine for what it is, but it's still more expensive than a 2JZGE (you could spend the difference on a FFI, if the crossover design bothers you that much).

The NA 2JZGE with the W58 if just an experiment for me, if it works out well, I'll go NA-T, R154, and AEM.

·
Banned
531 Posts
^---well, let me know where you can get a 2jz-ge for cheap, my bro and mom each have one, i might as well join, huh?:lol:

(that wasnt sarcastic by the way, sorry if it came out that way)

·
Registered
583 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
SykoCerebral said:
^---well, let me know where you can get a 2jz-ge for cheap, my bro and mom each have one, i might as well join, huh?:lol:

(that wasnt sarcastic by the way, sorry if it came out that way)
I found several on here and club lexus in the ~$300 range and there are plenty on ebay in the ~$500 range, but obviously you will need to invest in some other parts to make it work.

·
1JZ BLING!
2,747 Posts
jza 1j brackets if yours is late 89
bic brackets if yours is early 89

Need a NA supra w58 bell housing and flywheel, you can use your original tranny. Using the W58 sc300 tranny will be harder because you have to switch shifter assemblies.

You will need a 2j powersteering line.

NA 2JZGE engines are extremely cheap.

·
Registered
583 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Thanks Robert, I guess I'll shop around on the lexus forums for some 1J brackets. VJ RC51 do you have any? I didn't realize ther were differences between the W58's, I still have the original one from the supra, so I guess I'll just switch the bellhousings. I think I'll just live without powersteering for awhile, I ran without it in my old 87 for years.

Glen

SlimFastSupra said:
jza 1j brackets if yours is late 89
bic brackets if yours is early 89

Need a NA supra w58 bell housing and flywheel, you can use your original tranny. Using the W58 sc300 tranny will be harder because you have to switch shifter assemblies.

You will need a 2j powersteering line.

NA 2JZGE engines are extremely cheap.

·
***ified?
1,087 Posts
this is what im doing - aem, 2jz na-t, gt40 w/4" exhaust

·
Registered
583 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
OK, picked up the engine last night.

The motor mount brackets defianatly won't work like several people have said, the bottom surface is horizontal, not angled like they are on a A70 style. Hopefully I can find a set of JZA70 ones on the lexus forums, or maybe they all get soarer engines/clips which probably have the wrong style mounts, right?

The transmission mount is very different, probably won't work and the shifter is further back like Robert said. The slave cylinder looks similar, but is mounted totally differently. Probably best off just to swap this bellhousing over to the MA70 W58.

I might need to hook up the power steering afterall, since it and the AC compressor are not easy to remove because of the serpentine belt.

Glen

·
Lagger
216 Posts
If i am not mistaken. The Mk3's have a front oil pan...and the soarer/supra(Mk4) both use rear oil pans. Inorder for me to drop my 2jz-gte into my Mk3 i have to change my midsump and oil pan. But i don't know about the Na's i would assume that they are the same as their turbo counterparts. But i could be wrong. If i am correct then you would need 1jz-gte mid sump and oil pan... That makes me think... Do you need to change the oil pump and pick up... I would think you do.

·
Registered
583 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I was just reading about some of this stuff, so let me see if I have it correct.

The supra 1JZ has a front sump, the soarer 1JZ has a mid/rear sump. The SC300, and MKIV supra 2JZ have mid/rear sump. But the 7M sump is in the middle, so won't the JZ mid sump pans work with the A70 subframe?

As for the oil pump it's in the front engine cover, not inside the oilpan like a 7M, I'm not sure what the pickup looks like though.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts