Supra Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Super Moderator
9,913 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Everyone,

A member here recently contacted me to let me know they were contacted outside of Supraforums via their listed phone number to discuss a trade.
This person that contacted them posed as a different member on this site by screen name, and offered a trade with limited information and demanding that shipment be made to an address not congruent with the area code of the cell number he was using.

Luckily, this member contacted the member he was posing as via PM, and it was discovered that he'd been talking to some random scammer all along.

As such, I am STRONGLY recommending that all personal business dealings for the FS/wanted sections be initiated via PM ONLY.
Further contact via email addresses, cell phones, etc is encouraged, but to ensure you know exactly who you are dealing with, a PM should be considered the only valid precursor to direct contact outside of the forum.

For the time being, please continue to post outside email addresses & contact information in your FS ads to ensure transparency & ease of contact if need be.

But if someone contacts you outside of SF and claims to be an SF member, have them PM you directly here on SF to ensure that you're dealing with who they claim to be!

Thank you, and as always be vigilant! If the deal seems too good to be true, or they're not willing to use their whole name, it's probably a scammer!

·
Super Moderator
9,913 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Another Member just PM'd me to confirm a similar story - and it's the exact same piece of shit running the exact same scam - only he claimed to be an even different member.
So, anyone being asked to ship to or deal with one:

Jake A.
xxxx Bragg Lane
Memphis, TN 38134
(256) 715-4xxx

He is NOT who he says he is on Supraforums, and I sincerely, truly hope that he gets what's coming to him for trying to take advantage of so many people.

·
Pays Cash, No Questions
2,308 Posts
This has just happened to me this afternoon. Jeff, please see my post in BUYER AND SELLER RATINGS.

A member posing as myself is pinging others on the forums via the WTB section and using my information to establish a sale.

·
Premium Member
908 Posts
A member here recently contacted me to let me know they were contacted outside of Supraforums via their listed phone number to discuss a trade.
This happened to me the other day. When I told the guy , send his stuff first and included in the box a label I can use so I can mail the stuff he wanted... NEVER HEARD from him again.

He seems to know what he wants and his way around the forum. He said he wanted a less laggier turbo on the PT-6266 and was trading his new PT-6766. I asked him to PM me , he never did. His phone number is 202 796-3917

·
Administrator
8,187 Posts
Any outside contact via phone/email should be verified. If anyone is unsure please pm me and I will do what I can to verify.

Thanks for posting this Gerr

·
Pays Cash, No Questions
2,308 Posts
Matt gave me a heads up just now (Thanksgiving Day) that someone is using my info to solicit money from other members, again. I am not, and will not be selling anything. Whenever I do sell, I follow a specific procedure that a scammer would not use. Do not send money as a gift via PayPal, ever. I have never and will never ask for funds sent as a gift.

·
Registered
161 Posts
As such, I am STRONGLY recommending that all personal business dealings for the FS/wanted sections be initiated via PM ONLY.
Further contact via email addresses, cell phones, etc is encouraged, but to ensure you know exactly who you are dealing with, a PM should be considered the only valid precursor to direct contact outside of the forum.
Just a suggestion, but can we change the rules for posting in the FS section so that you aren't required to post up your phone number? I think it would be easier/safer for users to contact the seller directly via PM if they want to get their phone number to continue their dealings.

·
TH400 Club
809 Posts
I have a phone number for him as he was trying to sell me wheels a few weeks back. I googled it and it was a VOIP # so I backed out of the transaction when he couldn't give me any more information.

·
Registered
281 Posts
I am selling a Supra part. Posted here on Supraforums. I was contacted by email from somebody who admitted he wasn't on Supraforums. Matt "Supra Fahrer" from Hendersonville, NC. He claims "other people contact me for stuff for sale." He's asking for my PayPal.

Is there any risk giving him my PayPal? I'm wary about selling to somebody not on Supraforums.

·
Super Moderator
9,913 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I am selling a Supra part. Posted here on Supraforums. I was contacted by email from somebody who admitted he wasn't on Supraforums. Matt "Supra Fahrer" from Hendersonville, NC. He claims "other people contact me for stuff for sale." He's asking for my PayPal.

Is there any risk giving him my PayPal? I'm wary about selling to somebody not on Supraforums.
Apologies for not responding to you sooner -
Personally, if I'm selling something here on SF I'm expecting to sell it to an SF member with some kind of vetted history and track record or at least good feedback.

There are many ways to be scammed as the seller when using Paypal. Typically you'll receive funds, ship the part, and then the buyer will claim it's not what he ordered/its damaged/etc. Then the buyer will put a brick in there or some similar weight garbage and send it back with tracking info. Paypal will typically rule in favor of the buyer in that case and leave the seller totally fucked.

Protection methods that I recommend include using a GoPro to video your whole process of packing and sealing the package, clearly showing the part being packaged as it's going into the box and being sealed, and without pausing or any changes to the video, show the shipping label being attached with the tracking # clearly displayed. Seal up the box completely in the same footage.

If the part gets returned, video the package again clearly showing the box/sealing/etc BEFORE OPENING IT, preferably as you're signing for it with the shipper guy right there as you sign for it, or whatever.
Then do the same video strategy for showing the tracking number, opening the box, and clearly showing the contents.
It's not fulproof to clear up Paypal problems but it is effective in clearing up credit card disputes.

Alternatively, if I'm not feeling 100% confident in the buyer, I insist on USPS money orders for payment instead of Paypal. USPS Money Orders are much more secure and actually have dedicated LEO's (postal inspectors) that investigate fraud involving USPS money orders, which is a Federal felony. So if they dick you around with that payment method they have real skin in the game.

Yeah, it's kind of a pain to make the trip to the post office just to get USPS money orders cut and sent off, but if they're serious buyers they'll do it, and if they're thieving fucks they'll move on.

·
Registered
281 Posts
I made the sale to the non member.

I actually had done what you recommended at The UPS Store. Videotaped all the parts going in the box with the UPS Store employee slapping the shipping label on and taping up the box.

I appreciate the tip about USPS money orders.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
About this Discussion
15 Replies
12 Participants
ToeJamme
Supra Forums
Supra Forums is the largest online Toyota Supra MKI, MKII, MKIII, MKIV and MKV owner's club community. Discuss DIY, modifications, and upgrades.
Full Forum Listing