Supra Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Always Furious. Now Fast.
447 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone replaced their own clutch? I am a pretty good mechanic, but it seems like a daunting task. In particular getting at the upper housing bolts seems like a knuckle buster. Looks like the kinda job better done by a pro...

I ordered a stage 3 clutch and pressure plate (for my 5 speed). Any idea what a shop would charge to replace the clutch?

What about resurfacing the flywheel if necessary?

·
slow ex-supra guy
134 Posts
It's not that hard. If you drop the rear of the tranny slightly you'll have much better access to the 'knuckle busters'. Time consuming, yes. Hard, not too bad.

·
King of the NA-T's
4,044 Posts
As long as you got a couple floor jacks, and a bunch of socket extensions it isn't so bad. The hardest part is getting the tranny back on aligning the splines in the clutch disk with the splines on the input shaft. Lowering the tail of the tranny works real well (like john said) for getting at those upper bolts. It's time consuming but not real tough.

·
Registered
407 Posts
I just replaced mine about 2 months ago. It was a bitch of a job, and I was using a freind's lift. You have to be a little creative to get at the top bolts on the tranny. My car is pretty clean on the bottom, no rust or anything but there were a few bolts that were VERY tight, especially the ones holding the starter in. I twisted a 3/8 socket and long extension around about a 1/2 turn! (I always try a smaller wrench first, keeps me from beaking the bolts off). Tried a 3/4" impact wrench and they didn't budge. Finally 3/4" breaker bar did the trick, but I was sure I had brocken the bolt when it went. Luckily it didn't. I honestly don't know if I could have done it with the car on jack stands, but obviously some have. Either way, I am sure a lift will save you time and probably a back ache.

P.S. Be sure and put some anti-seize on those bolts while they are out!

·
A Mile High
114 Posts
its cake with the proper tools.

the tranny is so close the floor board, you'll have tons of fun getting it backed far enough off to clear the input shaft from the pressureplate. that is unless you undo the pressureplate and disc off off the flywheel and push it to the back of the transmission first. Then undo the bellhouse bolts , the tranny will come straight down with little help needed.

Puttin the transmission in, is just as easy. First put the pressureplate and disc on the tranny input shaft before you put the tranny up to mount on the car. You can put the pressure plate and disc on the flywheel thru the smaller access panels on the bottom of the transmission. The flywheel is hard to turn in that small of space, but they have a specail tool designed to turn a flywheel.

Theres manys more details....but thats it in a nutshell.

Shayn

·
King of the NA-T's
4,044 Posts
He's got a n/a, so he doesn't have those access holes.... pretty much gotta bolt the clutch assy to the flywheel (hopfully aligned well) and then push the tranny input shaft through. BTDT... too many times. lol

M

·
0 Posts
I am not sure if NA tranny is the same as 6-speed Getrag, but whatever you do, DON'T stop supporting the unbolted tranny thinking it's gonna hold itself up resting on the main input shaft.......6-speed shaft is so short, and as I was letting it go to turn around and pull the floor jack closer to support it, it came down on my hand. Luckily (and i mean LUCKILY) my hand ended up right where the tranny curves up and where the drain bolt is, so it didn't get shattered by 100+ lbs from 2 feet up.

·
Always Furious. Now Fast.
447 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
WHAT A [email protected] BITCH OF A JOB THAT TURNED OUT TO BE!!!! ALL BUT SNAPPED A 1/2" BREAKER BAR GETTING THE TOP BOLTS OFF. AAAAARGGGGH!

Seriously, I don't think I have ever been as profane as I was in the last 4 hours :)

I got the tranny down and the pressure plate/friction plate off. Waiting for my new clutch to show up.

Anyways - how do I tell if I need to resurface the fly wheel? There is about a 1mm raised ridge along the inside 3" of the flywheel.

And if I do need to resurface it, how the [email protected] do I get it off? What the hell are those reverse torx lookin' bolts holding it on. What did they go and use those for - did they think someone was gonna steal the flywheel :rolleyes:

1 - 9 of 9 Posts