Supra Forums banner
1 - 20 of 33 Posts

· Registered
224 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
well guys.....and gal.....fuck my life. well...motor is a fresh rebuild, first time i've gotten it started up and running decent (so i thought) since the rebuild. I had lots of attempted starts, enough to turn a brand new set of plugs PITCH BLACK, so i found out that was why it wasn't starting. I had an old pair of plugs laying around (i figured they'd be fine for startup) they are bosch platinums, i cleaned the dust off of them with carb cleaner and went for it. Bang! the car fires right up, but it has a knock every here and there....a very LOUD knock like rod screaming let me out knock, and then it will be steady for about 20 or so seconds then go back to the intermittantly knocking and then after a while of running go away completely. It is so random, dead quiet, then one here, one there, wait a while, then constant for a moment and then it goes away. This is very loud people...scary loud. The oil is full on the dipstick and is new as can be. he car maybe has 10 minutes of running time over the course of 3 days and 3 of that is the very short drive i have taken. I can't hear the knock from in the car (open 3 inch downpipe) but i can clear as day (when its fucking there at least) from in front of the car. Also the car acted like it wants to die upon reving, it gave me a code 31 (air flow meter) and a code 51, i know the 51 is from having the ac button on, because the tps is brand new and calibrated freshly. I replace my afm with another one and i have the exact same code. Jiggling the wiring does not matter at all. My main concern right now is the painful knocking sound on my brand new motor. JE's, eagles, clevites, arp's, mhg, the whole 9 yards. I adjusted the set the base and ignition timing perfect btw and it made no difference. Oil pressure is 46-50lbs at about 900-1100 rpm with shimmed pump, relocated filter, and rc7 fc cooler. the other day it was at about 20 but that was when it would barely stay running and it went up. I know the idle is high, but i just got it running still got those kinks to work out ya know? pulled the first 3 plug wires also and it made no difference.

· A Happy Dad
2,346 Posts
I think JE's sometimes slap being so short. I wouldn't worry about it for a bit, keep the oil up of course

I would be more concerned about the dying, a lot of things to make sure are in spec, TPS, cold idle, AFM etc.

· Newbe....I know nothing!
1,865 Posts
Best thing to do before you run it any more is the drain the oil and see if you have metal fillings in it. With a noise that loud I would not be running the car at all till I find the problem.

Forged pistons will make a bit of noise when there cold but nothing like you are describing. Save your investment find the problem now before you run the engine any more.

· Registered
795 Posts
Best thing to do before you run it any more is the drain the oil and see if you have metal fillings in it. With a noise that loud I would not be running the car at all till I find the problem.

Forged pistons will make a bit of noise when there cold but nothing like you are describing. Save your investment find the problem now before you run the engine any more.
+1 For draining the oil

· Registered
34 Posts
could this be the oil pump? im having the same exact problem other them i keep driving the car for a little bit until all u can here now is a low clack clack clack clack like the pistons were touching the block....weird thing is that i changed the oil and still doing it and the idle stay steady but oil pressure go down for some reason

· Registered
224 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
sorry-guys-my-space-bar-is-broken-i-guess-lol-but-the-idle-is-fine-when-it-knocks-the-oil-pressure-is-fine-when-it-knocks-i-dont-think-its-the-oil-pump-im-going-to-try-the-crank-pulley-thing-i'm-going-to-pick-up-some-more-oil-today-so-i'll-change-it-and-inspect-the-filter-soon

· Registered
3 Posts
who built the engine? i had to completely rebuild a twin turbo 2jz engine for a friend of mine because the shop that built it in the first place torqued the oil pump bolts down with aluminum threads and it ended up pulling on the pump enough to give it a high pressure reading, when in reality the oil was finding a way into cylinders 1 and 5, ended up spinning rod bearing number one but it was only an intermittent knock and the torque from reving the engine put all the force at the front of the crank.. something to look into..

or make sure whoever built it balanced the crank after polishing it. that can screw you up big time and give the rod bearings more than a fifteen-thousandths of clearance.

· Registered
224 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
well....went to change the oil and inspect the filter...so i drained the old oil....looked a little wierd for 10 or 15 minutes of running time, but i did use some of that oil dye (not more than recommended) so i think that might be the culprit...at least i know its the culprit to the little bright green spots

i went to remove the filter so i could cut it open and inspect it...and of course put on the new one! but.....low and behold my stupid ass put the filter on faaaaar too tight and i ended up with this....

yes...i do fail.....
but on another note i loosened up my crank pulley, it really didn't take much to get it off. I'm in hopes that was the culprit i tightened it down to 150ftlbs(as much as the tq wrench i have will go) then gave it another 1/8th or so of a turn to hold me over until i get a better torque wrench. I can't start it yet because i cant put on the new filter lol, so i'll be in pursuit of an oil filter wrench tomorrow and i hope that'll get the job done.

· "Yeah! Take the lemons.."
1,022 Posts
I have the same problem as you, jdm engine in with 50k miles mhg arp studs in and code 31 and 51 wants to die when given gas. Tps and afm look tiptop shape but fuck it found people in the wanted section I'm buying from.

· Registered
224 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
well.....fuck my life.....found out that this is nothing short of rod knock.....i know this because i got the filter off today....shook it....head some rattling around inside of it. I dump it out to find this....

fucking mud dobbers.....anytime i had an open port in the engine i was sure to stuff either plastic bags, or rags into the gap to make sure nothing got in....guess i was wrong....the shop i had the car in was infested with mud dobbers...i never found any of thier nests in the car, or in the engine bay...i found 3 or 4 on the under carriage of the car....and one in the oil pan from intitial assembly before i had oil in it. I took off the pan, and took a flashlight to where i could see and my hand to everywhere a flashlight would't reach and that was the only one.....so i thought......i'm not sure when i'll get to tear in to this because i don't have 100+$ for bearings....hopefully the crank and rods are fine....i did one last running video just to make sure after i tightened up the crank pulley last night and changed the oil. i'll post that vid here in a minute.....i'm so fed up right now.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.