Supra Forums banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
murdering the wallet
1,386 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I got a GE head from the junkyard and was going to swap out the exhaust cam to use it on a GTE block. After removing the cams this is what I discovered. Most cam journals were scratched like this.

Is this repairable by a machine shop? If I go ahead and put a different cam in there would it shred the new cams and cause knock later on?

I dunno what to do this is the second head I've found that was shitty.

·
murdering the wallet
1,386 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I can definitely feel it. It's more a protrusion than an indention like a grain of sand or metal rolled around in the journals.

·
Registered
998 Posts
Im assuming thats why your askin about shims too lol

That looks pretty bad tho. Take it to a shop and ask i guess. I have a feeling that they would take to much metal off tho to keep it in spec.

also, its the intake cam you want to swap for a GTE cam. I think the exhaust cams are the same...

·
Registered
998 Posts
yea they might be able to do that i suppose. Im not sure if they can on the aluminum head tho??:dunno:

·
Registered
998 Posts

·
Registered
595 Posts
don't just leave it, if there is metal sticking up it will score the new cam, take a little piece of emery cloth or good scotch brite, not sand paper and knock down the ridge as best as possible. don't go ape shit removing material take your time other wise you will trash the head. stuff a bunch of rags around the area cause you don't want that material getting further down in the head. reading your first post, are you using the cam or the cylinder head? either way take it easy it's not that bad from what i see in the pictures.

·
Registered
327 Posts
1000 grit sand paper and wd40 as a lube. sand it lighty with your finger to knock the high spots down . the low spots dont mater they will just fill with oil. ..... the head is junk other wise, you can not line bore it as you would need oversided cam journals to make up for the material they remove.

·
weaksauce, work on it...
659 Posts
They can cut a chunk out the back of the head, linehone/bore the cam journals and install bearings to bring everything back to spec. Oh, weld the removed section back in too. Budget anywhere from 450-1000... Not everyone's cup o tea im shure but when youve already gotten a head port and polished and have oversized valves fitted ect... its cheaper in some cases than starting over with a new head.

for you, id say try getting a different head since you dont have that much in it. Or eff dem cams, slap em in and drive. Stock gte cams aren't exactly a rare jem. Noones gonna bitch you out if you ruin a set of stock cams, live and learn. Theres sooooooo many stupid lil things you can spend a shit ton of money on. All depends on how far you want to go.

·
Overlooked
4,677 Posts
If you really think about it, they might spin about 1500 times before oil gets to them on each cold start. You don't think the same thing is going to happen or that it's not common? I promise what you have is not that big of a deal.

EDIT
Besides, that scoring actually looks like deposits in the oil. They are only in the journal area and shouldn't cause any issues to the cams themselves.

·
murdering the wallet
1,386 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
You're right. I must of been tired when I 'compared' them. Now that I look at them again they IE cams from the GE and IE cams from the GTE look the same too me. Very small angles?

I have two heads. One is has a complete valve job and nice valves but have stripped exhaust studs that have huge messed up helicoils installed. The other head has the shitty gouged cams and head.

I'll see what the machine shop says and which would be a cheaper fix.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts