Supra Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
748 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hello all, today i wet sanded my passenger side headlight today cause a long time a go i FUBARED when i used goofoff to try to remove a stain. stain came off but i guess the goofoff somewhat melted the plastic. so the cover became all grainy looking and foggy looking. finally after months of working, i have a weekend all of from work. i was going to just another headlight but decided to try to fix it. so i went to the body shop story and bought some 1000, 1200,1500 and some 2000 wetdry sand paper. went through each of them. while the headlight was wet, it looked 100 times better but when it dried, looked all white and could barely see through it. so am i missing a step here. should i buff it out and if so, with what?

·
Supra OG
2,392 Posts
Use Novus Plastic Polish #1, #2, and #3.

·
Registered
23 Posts
after wet-sanding......scratches

I followed the advice of sanding the headlights of the mkiv, using 1500 wet/dry sand paper. After that i applied some metal polish onto the head lights, but the scratches are quite visible. The headlights are not clear like how i intended it to be. Did i apply too much pressure to the sand paper? Does anyone have this same problem? Any solutions?

MKIV 93.5 N/A
HKS Super Dragger

·
Lemonade Tycoon
214 Posts
You don't use metal polish on plastic??!! After you've wetsanded it, you need to apply plastic polish and buff it off to a smooth shine. The surface will be all marred and scuffed up...buff it off and then it'll be smooth and very clear.

Use Novus plastic polish, or Meguiar's, or 3M plastic polish.

·
road hazard
452 Posts
yes, use NOVUS. you can find it at your motorcycle shop.

i had the same exact scratches as you mentioned when i took apart me headlamps and polished them. NOVUS does a good job of visibly removing them.

·
DONT HASSLE THE HOFF
893 Posts
I can never get the fuckers to seal correctly. This is my 2nd set and they still leak... I'm about to buy the Euros to save the headache of fogging up everythime I was the car. How do you guys get it sealed up right?

·
boost is good
772 Posts
Euphoric said:
I can never get the fuckers to seal correctly. This is my 2nd set and they still leak... I'm about to buy the Euros to save the headache of fogging up everythime I was the car. How do you guys get it sealed up right?
after i put the headlights back together i got some clear silicone sealer and ran a bead along where the headlights meet together. it took more then one bead to make sure it was all covered so there would be no leaks but it works.

Y

·
0 Posts
yeah, take it back to the body shop and hve them use thier high powered buffer - i sanded min out - just like you and i'm sure it looked just as bad - but have them buff it out with thier buffer (oterwise it would take like forever) i have a buffer and mine are like glass - once they are buffed they look GREAT! - so don't throw them out - they are still good!

·
Registered
346 Posts
Euphoric said:
I did mine about a year ago, and still no fogging, or leaking. I used regular auto parts sealer (the black stuff) and just put it all over on top of the old sealer, and then put the headlight between my knees sitting down and put some pressure, (about a couple of minutes). You might want to put about four clamps with rubberized tips to keep the pressure on them. Some metal clips might not go back on, but it won't be a problem. Try it, and you'll fix it right this time. ;)

·
Registered
23 Posts
Re: after wet-sanding......scratches

kjinn said:
I followed the advice of sanding the headlights of the mkiv, using 1500 wet/dry sand paper. After that i applied some metal polish onto the head lights, but the scratches are quite visible. The headlights are not clear like how i intended it to be. Did i apply too much pressure to the sand paper? Does anyone have this same problem? Any solutions?

MKIV 93.5 N/A
HKS Super Dragger
Thanx for the advice guys. I used the metal polish cuz i met this other guy in a street race right, and he had the same problem. He told me to sand it using the 1500 then use metal polish. So i thought it was a sure-fire method, since he's done it before. Had hell of a time looking for the novus polisher though. I'll try the bike shop tomorrow. Sure hope it works. =)

MKIV 93.5 N/A

·
Registered
187 Posts
There is a very detailed set of instructions for "Cleaning the Headlights" in the mkiv.com tech articles section.

94 TT 6-spd (stock)

1 - 13 of 13 Posts