Supra Forums banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
245 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Anyone know what this noise is?

It sounds like its coming from both cam gears and is much louder when the timing cover is off, as shown.

I recently changed both belts, FMS, timing gear, timing belt idler pulley, timing belt tensioner, crank pulley and waterpump. But the noise only started about 700 miles later.
Cam gears are stock ones.

Might also come from something else under the other covers, and the noise is funneled up through there.
Now that I remember, I tightened the crank pulley a bit too much, because I didnt realize it already clicked. But it wasnt much, so I thought it wouldnt be an issue.

·
Registered
245 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Can I only check that properly when the cam gears are off?
I removed the lower cover and looked at the plate, but I cant see anything touching the cam gears.

However, when I turn the crank by hand I car hear the cam gears creaking.

·
Registered
245 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Backing plate may be bent
You were right!
I removed the backing plate and tested again.
The noise is gone.

However I am not exactly sure whats wrong with the backing plate.

As you can see there are quite a few spots where the paint is gone and the 2 foam pads at the bottom latches pretty much are gone as well.
I cant see anything bent.
I would say the noise was caused by the spots where the paint is gone.
But how do I fix that? Any ideas?
Thank you!

Oh and I already checked if I could just buy a new one, but it seems only the VVTi one is still produced.

·
Registered
720 Posts
Oh and I already checked if I could just buy a new one, but it seems only the VVTi one is still produced.
Hrm - I thought the backing covers were the same for VVTi and non-VVTi ? I have a 1994 TT non-VVTi, and this is what I see for parts

Note that's for 2jzgte. And into that part set

Yet it shows a VVTi main cover there (2jzge)

·
I Can Has EBT?
3,322 Posts
Did you check your crank damper pulley? My oem one basically broke apart, and caused similar noise.

·
Registered
245 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Bought a new one and installed it. No more noise.
Never would have thought it, since the old one still looked fine aside from the contact marks.
Thanks again, mkivsoopratt!

·
Registered
1,230 Posts
Awesome! Glad that’s all it was.

·
I turn my own wrenches!
5,192 Posts
(y) Thanks for actually posting your solution to the problem. Now people searching in the future can come across this thread and it might help.

·
Registered
245 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Of course.
Though I bought a new one, others might first try cleaning and reseating the old one. Might help. I didnt have the patience to try that. ;)

·
Registered
245 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Nevermind, it returned.
Only seems to happen when the engine is warm.

Any other ideas? Cam bearings?

·
Registered
245 Posts
Discussion Starter #17 (Edited)
I might have to.
I already put a hose onto the front 2 ones when the plate was off and listened, but couldnt hear anything. Nothing when putting it on the valve cover either.
Also with using a hose, the belt itself moving on the gears does seem noisy, though, but I cant tell if thats normal.
Also an issue with the cam shafts seems unlikely, since the car only has 110k miles on it and never was beyond BPU+++.

Its just weird that it started shortly after I changed both belts, waterpump, timing gear, crank pulley, timing belt tensioner and timing belt tensioner pulley.
Ive gone over it in my head over and over again, but cant see what I did wrong. Unless something I changed was defective from the factory or me overtightening the crank pulley bolt very slightly is an issue.
The only thing I noticed is that the stock cam gears are really good at amplifying noise. They ring like a tuning fork, when they are taken off and you hit them slightly with something.
And when I put a hose near their spokes, I can hear them ringing very loudly when this noise is there (and even silently when the noise isnt there). The back plate also is very noisy, but a different kind of sound. More like scratching/rubbing.

·
Registered
245 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Ive been to a Toyota dealer and he listened to the front camshaft bearing caps with a screwdriver and said it cant be the camshafts. The noise is coming from somewhere else, but he also cant tell where.

That makes me worried about the crank shaft. Because maybe the noise has been there much longer, but I just didnt hear it because its really not that loud when the cam gear cover is on and the hood is closed.

My crank pulley went ballistic before I changed it. I revved to about 3k rpm and then it slipped off and slammed right into the fan heatsink and then my lower IC pipes and stayed on the undercover. Did noticeable indentions in both.
I still drove it home carefully about 30 miles and then changed it.
Could that have damaged the crank shaft or bearings? I dont see any unusual movement when looking at it, though. The crank pulley runs 100% smooth from what I can tell.
Maybe its the oil pump? I thought about changing it while I was down there, but decided against it...

·
Registered
1,230 Posts
Maybe your cam gear teeth are worn? Almost sounds like the belt creaking

·
Registered
245 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
The belt does creak audibly at the cam gears, when turning the crankshaft manually or when I press down the belt in the middle between the cam gears.
I only tested it when the car is warm (and the noise is there). But I am pretty sure it doesnt creak when the car is cold. Will re-test, to be sure, once the car is cold again.
Thats not normal?

1 - 20 of 25 Posts