Supra Forums banner

21 - 25 of 25 Posts

·
Master Shit Fixer
3,523 Posts
Pain in the ass, but my money's on the timing belt idler pulley. Put your old one back (along with the old bracket) and see if the noise goes away.

Longshot: the timing belt itself. What brand is the new one? If your old one is still intact, it's worth a test with it reinstalled.

·
Registered
245 Posts
Discussion Starter #22
Regrettably I threw it all away.
Have there been instances where new OEM parts were defective?

I used a Toyota belt.

·
Master Shit Fixer
3,523 Posts
Have there been instances where new OEM parts were defective?

I used a Toyota belt.
Not that I know of. And I would not suspect a Toyota brand belt.

·
Registered
4,833 Posts
very unlikely that the OE part is bad but theres always a possibility. i would start all over with installing the timing belt checking every part along the way.

·
Registered
245 Posts
Discussion Starter #25 (Edited)
Been to another shop. That guy had lots more experience and told me that he had noises like that on some flat 6 engines after they changed the belts.
He put some spray on the cam gears teeth while the engine was running and the noise instantly vanished, but came back a few minutes later, after I guess that spray evaporated.
He said its nothing to worry about but didnt know a permanent solution either.

Well, I am annoyed by that sound, so what do you guys think? Would a new pair of cam gears help (the only component I didnt already replace in that timing drive)? I could use some aftermarket ones anyway. Or are they even more prone to noise, due to being 2-piece?
Or maybe a different brand of timing belt?

Oh and yes, what I mentioned earlier, when pushing on it, moving the crank: The belt creaks only when the car is warm.

21 - 25 of 25 Posts