Supra Forums banner

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Supratruck Pilot
882 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
With low air pressure, my rims are slipping inside the tire when drag racing. I am going to drill the rims around the perimeter and screw the rim to the tire (ET Streets). For those that have done this, did you drill both sides of the rim or just the outside?

·
King of the NA-T's
4,044 Posts
Both sides!!! It just takes about 5 screws on each side.

·
4,109 Posts
How do you drill th inside with the tire on?

·
4,109 Posts
DLC said:
Inside meaning the side of the wheel that faces the axle. Outside meaning the side you see when looking at the side of the car.
oh ok...duh...:eek:
thanks!

·
Registered
422 Posts
Craig King said:
How well do the tires still seal with screws screwed into them?
The bead on an ET street is really thick and strong. The screws don't mess with it at all. You want to use a sheet metal screw that doesn't go all the way through the bead! I use a 3/4" long screw on mine.

·
REVTECHRACING.COM
2,675 Posts
T78supra said:
I run tubes in mine, I think they will leak without tubes.
no need for tubes,i use only[coke-cola] soda about 1/2 a can in the tires. the coke will seal them almost perfect. or some use dishwash soap[dawn][joy].

·
Registered
1,495 Posts
drift tt 23 said:
no need for tubes,i use only[coke-cola] soda about 1/2 a can in the tires. the coke will seal them almost perfect. or some use dishwash soap[dawn][joy].
Yeah that sounds safe at 130 mph.

Will Pepsi work too?

I would use tubes just for added stability and consistent tire pressures.

I have seen too many cars go into the wall from different left to right tire pressures from a sudden leak.

·
Registered
4,533 Posts
T78supra said:
I run tubes in mine, I think they will leak without tubes.
How did the tubes help with top-end stability? Which slicks are you using?

I have the 26x11.5x16 ET Streets. They felt okay on 20 psi when the track was hooking decent. The next run, the traction was gone, and with them on 16 psi they were still spinning on the top end which felt pretty scary!

Al

·
Supratruck Pilot
882 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Anyone else run without tubes? I ran without them on my old set of ET Streets (26X10.50X15) and never had a problem. The Summit catalog says not to use them without tubes. Anyone know why?

·
NFA Pimp
2,735 Posts
Mr Gasket has screw sets for screwing on tires to rims, part number MRG4318. They are perfect. Not to long and not to short. I have used them before on a couple of slicks and they do not leak.... but I would go with the inner tube just in case.

·
Registered
4,533 Posts
DLC said:
Anyone else run without tubes? I ran without them on my old set of ET Streets (26X10.50X15) and never had a problem. The Summit catalog says not to use them without tubes. Anyone know why?
Actually, most of the racers run w/o the tubes! It is safer with tubes, and I would like to hear from someone that it is actually more stable on the top end. Then I will get some!

Al

·
Registered
331 Posts
DLC said:
With low air pressure, my rims are slipping inside the tire when drag racing. I am going to drill the rims around the perimeter and screw the rim to the tire (ET Streets). For those that have done this, did you drill both sides of the rim or just the outside?
I have both sides....8 per side....

You can use a srew that not will go the hole way trough the tire so you can minimize the risk for loosing preasure..

I drove with a tube.....but be carfull so the srew doesn't trash the tube with the top.....

·
Registered
1,495 Posts
T6Rocket said:
How did the tubes help with top-end stability? Which slicks are you using?

I have the 26x11.5x16 ET Streets. They felt okay on 20 psi when the track was hooking decent. The next run, the traction was gone, and with them on 16 psi they were still spinning on the top end which felt pretty scary!

Al
I'm running the same tires and top end stability is great.

I have also run these tires without tubes on other cars that were as fast as my Supra but didn't trap 130+.

under 120mph you can get away with not using tubes on a well prepped car.

I would also suggest to everyone using slicks to invest in a tire preassure equalizer.

It basically is a long tube that hooks to both your rear tires valvestems at the same time and equalizes the pressure, most models come with a gauge and you can inflate or deflate both tires at the same time EQUALLY.

I use mine on the front too. I even use it on my other cars.

It really saves time at the track.:)

·
Never enough
1,418 Posts
Yea, one of the biggest concerns I had (that kept me from getting slicks) was top end stability. If the tubes really help that much I would more than likely reconsider. I really cant see spending 800+ on a set of skinnies I'll probably use twice a year. Then again, the drag radials in my size aren't going to cut it much longer:p

1 - 20 of 38 Posts