Supra Forums banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts
B

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
:nuts: SO i buy a can of Seafoam today

The kid at the register says to but "Lucas" because he buys tons of $100 cars "to blow up" and it really helps alot, but i stick to the Seafoam.

At $3.99 for a 16oz can its not very expensive even if it doesnt work.

Apparently i can do 3 things with it:

1. Put 1/3 of it in the oil, (I dont think so, my poor seals!)

2. Put 1/3 of it in the gas tank ( I might do this later)

3. Let 1/3 of it suck up into a vacuum hose on the intake manifold (I did this one)

SO the car sputters and wants to stall when i feed it the stuff, let it sit for a while after it slurps it up, then start it again...... not much smoke at all.

Until i rev it up

My opinion: If it did anything it didnt do too much, maybe it revs a little smoother, but maybe its my imagination.

By tommorow i will know for sure, maybe i will do another application too.

Has anyone else had "No shit" results? THe MR2 guys swear it helps their cars.

maybe this is just snake oil garbage, i dunno. at least it wasnt expensive.

-Brad

·
ur moms favourite
1,405 Posts
so what is this stuff? designed to prolong the life of an engine or something? you put it in ur supra? who makes it?

B

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
It's supposed to get rid of all your carbon deposits and buildup of crud and shit. the RX7 guys have been using it for a while over there on rx7club

who knows? it's supposed so make the car smoke like HELL.

·
EchoDeDupra
4,122 Posts
it made the car smoke like a bitch...

but I didn't really tell a difference.. so I returned it after using it :)

It says on the can.... "if you aren't satisfied, return for a complete refund"

·
2jz powered
1,648 Posts
i've never tried it but i've never heard anything bad about it.

B

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I am still 50/50 about if it worked or not.

more driving and we will see.

·
Premium Member
5,991 Posts
I used it in my daily driver.... 183,xxx on the clock and it's still running strong. I put 1/2 in the gas tank to clean the lines/injectors and the other half into the oil/valvetrain. It quiets the valve tap and I've never had any problems with even more smoking after using it.

For 4$ a bottle, I'm pretty satisfied. :)

B

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
you're supposed to change it immediately after you run it through the oil. Something like 200 miles and NO hard driving with the seafoam in it..

right? I remember some FD guys cautioning other people about that.

·
Republican
8,421 Posts
I had a suburban with a 454 that wouldent pass smog... customer had tried everything... I SLOWLY poured seafoam thru the TBI and knocked like 100 PPM off of NOx. the seafoam helped remove the carbon deposits inside the cylineders, thus lowering the heat. it still didnt pass after that... so I did a few tricks.. passed fine then!

·
Republican
8,421 Posts
I guess if you poured the whole bottle in your TB and you got hydro lock... yes... but if your not an idiot... no. its also not a foam it's a liquid.

·
67mm of pleasure
852 Posts
I put it in the vac. on my old Saturn, and also on my bro's 3rd gen Camaro. 2 cars, 2 smoke shows, 2 better running cars. Its really worth it to use on your bud's old pos car when you wanna piss off your neighbor too, not that I did that or anything... lol

·
11,221 Posts
brad7771 said:
3. Let 1/3 of it suck up into a vacuum hose on the intake manifold (I did this one)-Brad
You're supposed to let your vacuum lines suck up the liquid? While we are on the subject. Can someone explain all the areas you're supposed to give seafoam? I might do it if it's not a hard task, just in case.

B

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
brad7771Apparently i can do 3 things with it: 1. Put 1/3 of it in the oil said:
I used a small p/s vac line because the brake booster line is HUGE and difficult to pinch hard enough to keep it from stalling and sucking at the same time.

I am sure everyone has their own way of using it, but the 3 i mentioned are the 3 the can says to use.

·
Registered
254 Posts
i did it on my legend a while back....and i'd have to say it idled a lot better...other than that i didn't really notice a difference...mileage on the car was 320,000 KM not miles.

·
!black
4,625 Posts
I know it worked wonders on an alfa romeo :) Ran it up to about 7 grand after letting the motor digest it for a bit. Smoke show for 20 minutes hehehe

·
Registered
1,741 Posts
Weird that I foudn thsi subject. Friend of mine put a bottle in his gas in his Corvette yesterday. Not really any noticable smoke in it. Does idle alot better and has a little better throttle response.

·
Digital DNA
353 Posts
That is exactly what Sea Foam does. It gets rid of all the carbon deposits and crud. Many of the Mitsu guys use this on their 4G63's with great results. The Mopar combustion cleaner stuff works great too.

Also, yes, you can really mess your car up if you do not know what you are doing.

·
Republican
8,421 Posts
^ yes that mopar stuff... works SO well... cleaned the top's of my piston's like WHAT... I use it as a solvent now...

1 - 20 of 26 Posts