Supra Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
V A S U P R A S
2,341 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Wrecked my 87 in march. Looking for another. Heres where im at.

Car#1
87 NA 2-tone brown hardtop with a rodnock and a bunch of rust / dents. Wanted 1195 for it. I passed.

Car #2
90 NA-T white targa. Looked nice, no motor. It sold before I could get it. $1000

Car#3
1991 Turbo Targa 5-speed. $4200
http://f33.com/bluesupra

About the 91. It has 118k miles, stock except for the exhaust, and the pipe under the hood. The mirrors are black and off a 88. He broke the drivers side in a parking lot. There is some rub damage near the gas door. There is damage near the mudflap on the drivers side fender. The interor is pretty nice, except for the console cover and the drivers sun visor ,which is ripped. The power antenna doesnt go down all the way. The paint on the nose piece and the rear bumper is starting to fade. hatch carpet is bad, hood struts are weak, windshied is cracked.

He told me the motor overheated once but it was due to a crack in the radiator, which he replaced. The rims.. it comes with the entire set of enkei gold rims and then it also comes with the 91 5 spokes. I started it up and it idled nice, but couldnt test drive it since it has no plates.

Should i get this one... or keep looking?

·
Offical MkIII Pushman
1,797 Posts
seems a bit much for me. i would talk him down or keep looking. thats just me thou :/

·
Certified Supra Nut :P
2,001 Posts
seems like a decent car, the price is pretty high though. You can find a nicer car for the dollar. If you can talk him down nearly a grand, I think it's a good buy.

Bassed on that BOV pipe, the guy is either a car moron (a bad thing) if her put it there. Or, a car moron (a not as bad a thing) if it was there when he got it and he didn't even know that the serious kink in that host was going to seriously effect the engine.

That makes me a little weary about the whole thing.

The paint is not factory, so there is probably damage that is hiding underneath. That or rust, or both. All things you won't want in a car that you plan to keep and love. If the body is perfict, then it's something to consider. If you don't know how to find those well hidden blemishes, have someone that can look at the car before you buy it.

Buying a car that's less than perfict is like dating a fat chic and hoping that she'll loose a few punds. It's simply a dream that isn't gonna come true, so don't waste your time.

·
Registered
5,110 Posts
I say pass. That's way too much money for a car that isn't unmolested. If it were modded by somebody who had their head on straight, it might be a decent deal. I'd offer him 2500 MAX, but that's just me.

·
JZA70 448 rwhp everyday
2,994 Posts
thats too much. wait till an un molested 91+ comes along if you dont wanna spend alot of time on repairs.

~scott

·
Destroyer of Turbos
4,461 Posts
i bought my 91 unmolested w/ 72k miles for 5k. single lady owner, 5spd, sunroof. talk him down and youll love it. this color is my favorite :)

·
Sometimes I see dead ppl
1,719 Posts
Don't buy it for that much. Did you notice the manual boost controller under the hood? It's been boosted before. you want to be wary of BHG. also check for body damage, it looks like it's been repainted.

·
V A S U P R A S
2,341 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
it is the factory paint... i never had seen the color before. I want a turbo, but not one thats gonna have a blown head gasket right away. thanks for all the replies

·
Destroyer of Turbos
4,461 Posts
yea that is factory paint. look at my car. the color is Baltic Blue Pearl and it actually changes color some depending on angle and lighting

·
desufnoC
1,842 Posts
MKIIINA said:
yea that is factory paint. look at my car. the color is Baltic Blue Pearl and it actually changes color some depending on angle and lighting

Wow. Now that I think about it, I have seen this color before. Next to black, hands down, my favorite color.

Nice Supra.

·
wastegate hose is pulled
4,586 Posts
The blue one would be ok for 3kish, if you don't mind a fixer-upper. They're all going to BHG sooner or later, don't let that affect your decision, unless you only want a car that already has a MHG in it (that has sealed properly).

1 - 17 of 17 Posts