Supra Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

· Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,
I own a 1989 Base Automatic Toyota Supra and wanted to sell my car sooner or later so I decided to get an engine bay cleaning just for the heck of it. After my friend cleaned up the bay, the idle started surging after warmup and I haven't been able to figure out what causes it. Normally I try to do my own repairs when I can but I'm not too familiar with wiring and electronics, if that is the cause. I have already replaced the TPS and bought a new ICS and haven't installed it because the wrong part number was shipped to me. I was also thinking this might have something to do with the MAF because when I unplug the connector the idle evens out but just dies quickly.

I am looking for a mechanic that is very familiar with the MKIII's in the San Diego area that I could pay to fix this problem or even walk me through what I should do. I appreciate help from anybody.

Thank you,
Trevor

· Glad To Be Back
2,365 Posts
More than likely you got water in one of the plugs . / spark plug boots . This happened often when I sprayed are you cable of taking the manifold off ?
Check them before paying . I’m in the San Diego area (retired down in Rosarito) but I come up once a week .

· Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
More than likely you got water in one of the plugs . / spark plug boots . This happened often when I sprayed are you cable of taking the manifold off ?
Check them before paying . I’m in the San Diego area (retired down in Rosarito) but I come up once a week .
So you're saying that the sparkplugs are misfiring from water? Wouldn't it have evaporated by now? It has been about a month and a half since the problem started.

· Glad To Be Back
2,365 Posts
The water gets stuck down in the valley there . I’ve seen it countless times . Doesn’t evaporate too easily

· Registered
87 supra on silvers neo max
88 Posts
I'm from the chula vista area of san diego. But the mechanic I trust for mk3 stuff is alllll the way up in Escondido sadly. If you have instagram, search up "Ramirez Advance Auto" if you ever need help. He'll take a bit to reply to you, but he will reply to you. If you want, you can wait until march when he has a proper shop. I feel as if 2cars is right though. Remove the manifold, hheck the spark plugs, get some compressed air, and blow it all out if theres anything.

I had a similar experience when my engine bay was detailed with a pressure washer. I thought my headgasket blew lol. But the person that detailed my engine checked the spark plugs and saw a LOT of water. goodluck fr

1 - 5 of 5 Posts