Supra Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Banned
199 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm looking to update my front and rear seats, and either want to have my local upholstery shop install skins or make them from scratch and install.

For those of you that have redone your interiors with new leather, which was the more economical method?

·
Registered
89 Posts
The EASY/CHEAP way is to cover what you have and SAVE it.

Upholstery shops will give you a quote for what you want.
Another option: Clean and spray the leather. It's possible.

I really like my cloth skins. Had a Mercedes in leather and it was not comfortable in summer or winter.
It may be possible to have them replace just a section of the seat bottom. Need to ask 'em.

·
Master Shit Fixer
3,549 Posts
I'm looking to update my front and rear seats, and either want to have my local upholstery shop install skins or make them from scratch and install.

For those of you that have redone your interiors with new leather, which was the more economical method?
You used "more economical" and "upholstery shop" in the same sentence. The only economical solution is to buy new premade skins (like from Interior Innovations) and install them yourself. My local upholstery shop wanted a lot of money to just install premade skins. They wanted a fortune to make them from scratch.

·
I Can Has EBT?
3,331 Posts
Cheapest would be buying them pre made and installing your self.

Second best is having the shop installing them, anything custom will cost you $$$$.

I did mine form leatherseats.com, it was pretty easy. There is DIY instructions here with pics somewhere. If you do do it yourself, instead of using OEM metal hog pins, use heavy duty zip ties, will save you time and headache.

·
Very Senior Member
10,053 Posts
You used "more economical" and "upholstery shop" in the same sentence. The only economical solution is to buy new premade skins (like from Interior Innovations) and install them yourself. My local upholstery shop wanted a lot of money to just install premade skins. They wanted a fortune to make them from scratch.
Cheapest would be buying them pre made and installing your self.

Second best is having the shop installing them, anything custom will cost you $$$$.

I did mine form leatherseats.com, it was pretty easy. There is DIY instructions here with pics somewhere. If you do do it yourself, instead of using OEM metal hog pins, use heavy duty zip ties, will save you time and headache.
I got the skins from the forum sponsor (Interior Innovations) and installed them myself. You can download instructions for removing the old skins and installing the new ones. It was a PITA, but well worth it. Upholstery shops make a living doing this and charge accordingly, i.e., they charge a lot.

·
Registered
84 Posts
I got the skins from the forum sponsor (Interior Innovations) and installed them myself. You can download instructions for removing the old skins and installing the new ones. It was a PITA, but well worth it. Upholstery shops make a living doing this and charge accordingly, i.e., they charge a lot.
Do you have pictures of your seats and skins from Interior Innovations? Could you share some?

1 - 8 of 8 Posts