Supra Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I bought a pair of seat belts recently from a member, the passenger side seems to retract and extend well, however the driver side is locked, it moves about half an inch when pulled on. Do these need to be mounted and plugged in to unlock? from my understanding the gear mechanism and ball are the only parts of the retracting mechanism that actually lock the seatbelt? Any help is greatly appreciated

·
Master Shit Fixer
3,232 Posts
You have to mount them first...or at least orient them like they were installed in the car.

·
Master Shit Fixer
3,232 Posts
There's a "relaxer" plug, but it is not required to extend and retract the belt. I have the relaxer plug disconnected in both of my Supras so that they hold tension against my body better. The retractor mechanism is springloaded only, IIRC.

·
From the land down under
3,809 Posts
Ah, ok, I am following you now. I know that my passenger seatbelt has all of sudden decided that if my passenger leans forward to get something from the glovebox etc, then when they return to sitting upright, the seatbelt is all saggy, and they need to unplug the clasp, then plug it in again in order for the tension to return to being tight across their chest.

My drivers belt still operates as intended, but Im guessing it wont be too long until it happens to my one, too. I have read a few threads on here about the relaxers failing, and most suggested to do what you have, and just unplug them so theyre always tight. My only issue with that is having to unplug the clasp if you need to lean forward.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #6

Here is a video of the driver's side belt, I've tried all positions, this thing will just not extend at all using its own mechanism. I doubt there is enough slack to install it. Meanwhile the passenger side is easily retracting and extending as it should, without installation.

·
Smith & Wesson Member
555 Posts
If the seat belt was dropped (hard), it may have locked.

Similar to a vehicle in a major collision, the belts lock up and need to be replaced.

This can vary, on different OEM manufactures.

·
Master Shit Fixer
3,232 Posts
I have read a few threads on here about the relaxers failing, and most suggested to do what you have, and just unplug them so theyre always tight. My only issue with that is having to unplug the clasp if you need to lean forward.
I don't have to unlatch the seatbelt to lean forward. Unplugging the "relaxer" doesn't lock the seatbelt. All it does is keep about 10% more tension on the belt at all times, instead of just when you unlatch the belt.

·
Master Shit Fixer
3,232 Posts
If the seat belt was dropped (hard), it may have locked.

Similar to a vehicle in a major collision, the belts lock up and need to be replaced.
If it's locked up like that, it can be repaired. There are a number of vendors on eBay who will "unlock" a seatbelt like that for $45-$75.

·
Registered
750 Posts
This is my driver side seat belt. It was gently removed in good working order and boxed up. Not sure what caused it to lock itself.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts