Supra Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
intarwebs master
1,393 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I need to find some good seats that will sit low enough to accomodate a helmet - I'm a pretty big guy but am commited to losing serious weight (I'm 265 now, 285 a month ago - need to be down to 200 to not DIE!) - so am less concerend about that than I am about my height at 6'3" - even with the stock seat all the way down I have a tough time getting a helmet on and being in a good driving position....

I do need it to be a reclining seat, but beyond that I'm willing to buy whatever to do it right... I like the corbeaus because they are great bang for the buck - but i really WANT the milano prestiges ;)

-Zach

·
Registered
6,290 Posts
i think general consensus is that Brides sit lowest. i previously had the milano prestiges, and with Sparco bases/sliders even I sat too high (i'm 5'9")! another forum member bought my seats and was able to get a good seating position using the Bride brackets (he's around 6'1" i think).

my car now has Bride Gais seats; i've not sat in them b/c the car is still with my builder; but he has told me that they're almost TOO low! he's around 6' and says he's almost uncomfortably low, having to look over the dash. the Gais have the Bride "Low Max" seating position; so do a couple of other Bride models, but i think the others may be fixed buckets. either way, i don't think you'll get any lower than with a set of Brides.

fwiw,
craig

·
Registered
156 Posts
I've always been a fan of my kirkey deluxe roadrace. I've had them in all my cars over the years, and never had a complaint. I always made my own brackets to help them sit a little bit lower but other than that i found them comfortable and well made.

·
intarwebs master
1,393 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
How are they in terms of comfort... I drive a BUNCH, not just on the track - They look like great seats, just not sure my fat ass fits in them ;P

i think general consensus is that Brides sit lowest. i previously had the milano prestiges, and with Sparco bases/sliders even I sat too high (i'm 5'9")! another forum member bought my seats and was able to get a good seating position using the Bride brackets (he's around 6'1" i think).

my car now has Bride Gais seats; i've not sat in them b/c the car is still with my builder; but he has told me that they're almost TOO low! he's around 6' and says he's almost uncomfortably low, having to look over the dash. the Gais have the Bride "Low Max" seating position; so do a couple of other Bride models, but i think the others may be fixed buckets. either way, i don't think you'll get any lower than with a set of Brides.

fwiw,
craig

·
Heavy Metal Momentum
1,121 Posts
Sparco brackets sit pretty high. I had to modify mine to get the seats low enough to have clearance (Pro 2000 seat, I'm 6'4") The Sparco brackets also weren't drilled square so the slider function has a limited range. I might switch to side mounts at some point but it would require a flat mounting surface.

I seem to recall Bride using a lower mounting adaptor. Mount points drop instead of raise at cross supports, that's what I did with the Sparcos, removed the mounting points and bent and welded them to lower the mounts.

·
Registered
6,290 Posts
zmw, ygpm.

craig

·
Track rat
213 Posts
What's your goal with the car?
If your running a HANS device and cage, you must use a fixed back seat.

If you do not have a cage, then you must use a reclining seat.

Try and sit in as many seats as you can. I personally like Cobra and Racetech

·
Registered
212 Posts

fwiw,
craig
The only problem I can see with the Brides is the fact that the OP mentioned he is a big guy. I have a couple of friends with Bride seats and in both cases I pretty much sat on top of the bolsters, they were WAAAYYY too narrow for me. At the time I was about the same size as the OP 6'2" 260 lbs. Now even at 200 lbs I cannot fit into Bride seats.

Hopefully they made some changes for the US market and started making seats a little wider. If I could find a Bride seat I actually fit into I would buy it in a heartbeat!

Josh

·
intarwebs master
1,393 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Swapping seats is an option but honestly I think the stock seats suck anyway - I'm not going to go with fixed back seats because the car is a daily driver for me + my HPDE car, I have no desire to campaign the car or go full on hardcore.

What I'm trying to find is a good daily seat that will take a bolt in 4 point, coming from an STi - the stock seats are terrible in the supra, and seating technology has come a LONG way since 97.

I'm leaning towards the new Sparco R505s, I'd do the milano prestiges but I can't find one to sit in locally and when i travel on business it's hard to make it out to some of the shops that have offered to let me sit/ride in them.

I sat in a Z350 that had the R505s and it was very comfortable and had plenty of support, big enough for me if I drop a few more pounds.

-Z

1 - 16 of 16 Posts