Supra Forums banner

21 - 26 of 26 Posts

·
Garage Queen Club
2,822 Posts
Discussion Starter #21
Here is a side note and additional data point:

Corky Bell's 'Maximum boost" book is AGAINST running a turbo blanket for road race applications. Garrett also informed me they do NOT recommend turbo blankets for road racing applications. Both state that they trap too much heat from extended use, and will cause turbo failure. Additionally, multiple threads from porsche 911 road racers and RX7 time attack guys also mentioned turbine housing warpage from various turbo mfgs, including bearing issues, and all stated blankets being used.

https://www.rx7club.com/race-car-tech-103/road-race-circuit-turbo-cars-heat-management-1053991/page2/

I will revert to a heat shield instead and test with it going forward. I'll have to save a turbo upgrade until next year.

·
Super Moderator
10,011 Posts
Here is a side note and additional data point:

Corky Bell's 'Maximum boost" book is AGAINST running a turbo blanket for road race applications. Garrett also informed me they do NOT recommend turbo blankets for road racing applications. Both state that they trap too much heat from extended use, and will cause turbo failure. Additionally, multiple threads from porsche 911 road racers and RX7 time attack guys also mentioned turbine housing warpage from various turbo mfgs, including bearing issues, and all stated blankets being used.

https://www.rx7club.com/race-car-tech-103/road-race-circuit-turbo-cars-heat-management-1053991/page2/

I will revert to a heat shield instead and test with it going forward. I'll have to save a turbo upgrade until next year.
Dre-

In similar situations I've found that building a standoff style heat shield that allows a nice air gap all around the turbine housing is ideal.
But the turbo blanket is not useless; You can use the material as additional insulation on the 'cool' side of the heat shield, giving you the radiant heat blocking you need to preserve your hood, etc, and the air gap your turbine housing needs to prevent failure. It doesn't look awesome but it works great. To hold the insulation material on the heat shield I prefer rivets, but springs or the steel zip ties used with header wrap also work.

·
Garage Queen Club
2,822 Posts
Discussion Starter #23
Yup, great idea! I built a new shield just as you described, but actually used some thinner exhaust barrier. There are more air gaps within the shield. Will keep my eye on it.

Attachments

·
Registered
456 Posts
If you do eventually change turbos check out the new Garrett G30 series. Fully stainless steel and Mar-M alloy for higher temp tolerance and long term use. Great job and that heat shield too!! Looks similar to what AMG uses on their M139 engine

21 - 26 of 26 Posts