Supra Forums banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
The Guitar Hero
205 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Na MR2 vs Miata

Looks like the Miata costs more to start out with, and thus would limit further modding.

The MR2 costs less and thus modding could occur. I visit a shop where they have done several v6 swaps 1mz's and one 5s (thats the Tacoma yes?). A couple are supercharged as well.

This would be a track car that would see some driving time on the weekends.

Thoughts?

·
A real OG.
124 Posts
As a Turbo MR2 owner...I'd have to say Miata.

Go for the turbo or don't go at all.

Miatas are much cheaper and easier to mod...

·
Registered
1,230 Posts
pputkowski said:
As a Turbo MR2 owner...I'd have to say Miata.

Miatas are much cheaper and easier to mod...
Maybe, maybe not. But with a lot less power potential, who cares? Depends what his goals are with the car? If it was me I'd get the MR2 as it's a nicer, sportier car overall than the Miata. Again, depends on what his goals are though.....

Sonny

·
The Guitar Hero
205 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
If I got the MR2 it would spend only a little bit of time as N/A. It would soon have a 1mz + supercharger.

I wouldn't want to mod the 3sgte.

·
The Guitar Hero
205 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I actually like the looks of the 2nd gen miata, and it would probably be nice to have a newer car like that with no problems. Bah.

Shame I don't have a bit more saved up, then I'd buy a S2k and call it good.

·
The Guitar Hero
205 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Bah, then what is the Tacoma V6? Doh, 5vz

Modding a turbo engine gets expensive. That, and 190 lb/ft of torque at 3600 rpm is nice. That is w/o the supercharger.

·
Everybody Lies
358 Posts

·
Wobbiest: Three Laws Safe
6,137 Posts

·
Passion Driven
1,689 Posts
Mr. Wob said:
yep, and now look where Dan is at - pissed at having the MR2 and looking for a Miata. :dunno:
Werd. I've decided to keep the Mr2 for now but still am split 50/50 on dumping it towards a Miata.

If you get a 91 Mr2, you're out an LSD, funky suspension you *should* modify (snap oversteer), and a car that usually has many *quirks* (Leaky t-tops, broken interior parts, miscellaneous engine bay things). The MR design takes getting used to, and it's advantages won't manifest themselves much on the street or local Autox, probably only at the track (which is what, 1-2 days out of the year for your car?).

That said, Mazda put a lot more thought and "Race" into their Miata, even though I'm probably bias'd because of my FD and passengar-seat time in a Miata.

Check out that thread I posted/started, some of them got pretty in-depth about it.

Keep in mind the Miata generally weighs less (all MKII Mr2's are 2700lbs+), can come with LSD, has the unibody frame, has an engine bay that's easier to work on, is just as reliable, etc.

I'm expecting some commissions soon (although I don't count my chickens before they hatch!) that may sway me to sell the Mr2 and spend some bigger $ on something greater, like an S2k as you hinted...although by that price range I'd probably fall back into an FD....

·
Sheep on the hood...
511 Posts
gen 2 MR2 was a fluke
a heavy pig
if you want to compare it to the miata - at least use a gen1 or gen3

·
Registered
343 Posts
Yenny said:
Modding a turbo engine gets expensive.
:gtfo: Are you serious? Turbo engines are almost always cheaper to get additional power out of. You can have the MR2 putting down 260rwhp, which is a around a 50% increase over stock, for around $2k or less in mods, and it will still be extremely reliable. The cost/hp goes up from there but it is still wayyyyyy cheaper than getting more power out of an n/a.

·
The Guitar Hero
205 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
dgblkbelt said:
:gtfo: Are you serious? Turbo engines are almost always cheaper to get additional power out of. You can have the MR2 putting down 260rwhp, which is a around a 50% increase over stock, for around $2k or less in mods, and it will still be extremely reliable. The cost/hp goes up from there but it is still wayyyyyy cheaper than getting more power out of an n/a.

Read my posts.

Versus v6 + supercharger. :gtfo:

·
Registered
675 Posts
ex mkII mr2 turbo with bpu owner here:

have driven my friend's 96 miata many times with minor n/a bolt-on's and suspension mods...

i'll take the mr2 with the 3sgte any day. i loved rwd + mid-engine set up...when u accelerate u feel the propelling wheels and the engine and the turbo spinning behind u pushing u forward....addictive feeling.

plus the mkII's twitchy handling makes it insanely fun in the twisties.

the miata's handling is awesome due to light weight, but IMO not as fun to drive as the mr2. plus stock vs. stock the 3sgte powered mr2 turbo will destroy a miata in the straightline....

best motoring's American touge 2 had a mkII mr2 turbo that beat the comptech SC'ed nsx's lap time fron america touge 1....the mr2 turbo can be set up to be very fast on the track with a competent driver.

mr2 also looks way better than miata IMO, but that's subjective.

if u do decide to go for an mkII, good luck finding a good one. it's very rare and tough to find a clean one at a good price. but being an owner of a supra, i'm sure u already know what that's like :)

good luck.

·
Passion Driven
1,689 Posts
fusionchicken said:
best motoring's American touge 2 had a mkII mr2 turbo that beat the comptech SC'ed nsx's lap time fron america touge 1....the mr2 turbo can be set up to be very fast on the track with a competent driver.

if u do decide to go for an mkII, good luck finding a good one. it's very rare and tough to find a clean one at a good price. but being an owner of a supra, i'm sure u already know what that's like :)

good luck.
Have a link to said video? I don't doubt, just rarely see any Mr2 in those type of vids!

I agree on the second part, they're tough to find in good condition.

Yenny: Want to buy mine? It's NA but it's less than half the cost of a turbo, so the money you save you can use to get a GenII/GenIII JDM motor swap in it (or v6 if you so prefer) and be set. It's got a great body (rust free) and interior (No leaky t-tops here!), and for now the motor's stout and doesn't burn much oil at all (didn't even need a quart between my 4k mile oil change I just did yesterday). $3500 and I have some AutoX goodies (Sway bar, 2nd set of rims with Hoosiers)

1 - 20 of 22 Posts